Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM

166 posts, read 304,509 times

Advertisements

Hello.
Can someone please advise me about the neighborhoods that would be convenient to the Merck facility? By convenient, I have in mind a 10-15 minute commute.
All I see is a golf-course community and I expect that will drive housing costs to the roof and there does not appear to be much in the way of grocers, shopping or physicians offices etc that are nearby.
I'm also interested in learning about the community college system in the area. I've seen "tech schools", but have in mind a broader scope of classes than tech training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 12:30 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Most of the tech school have pretty good liberal arts faculty. Many if not all offer two-year AA transfer degrees and have articulation agreements with the four-year state schools. Other posters can tell you more about this I am sure . . ..

Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM

Thank you.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 PM

Bump to re-visit the neighborhoods around the Merck facility in Durham. Anyone familiar with that area?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM

305 posts, read 761,441 times
Is this the Merck plant in northern Durham, or are you talking about something in the RTP/Morrisville?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
What you're seeing with the golf course is Treyburn. It is actually a pretty good deal with some very nice housing stock for reasonable prices given it's overall upscale appearance. This is due in part to its relative isolation in far northern Durham, though it is quite convenient to Merck. It is a bit of a drive (approx. 10 min) to shopping/dining/etc...

There are some other nice areas in NW durham near the Eno River State Park. Neighborhoods off of Umstead Rd, Cole Mill Rd and Rose of Sharon Rd may be worth considering. A few names: Willowhaven, Whitehall, River's Edge, Eno Forest, Fieldstone on the Eno, Buckwater Creek, etc... These are zoned to some of the best schools in Durham, are closer to shopping and town, but would still only be 10-15 minutes from Merck.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:21 AM

Thank you....having neighborhood names is extremely helpful.
Are children from these neighborhoods bussed to school, and if so, do you know how long they ride? Also, are there any community college outlets in or near these places?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM

533 posts, read 1,199,182 times
The elementary school that Treyburn is zoned (Little River) for is right next to the development. A bus does pick up the students, up but the ride is minimal. The current middle school (Chewning) does not have a good reputation, and most of the parents I know with middle schoolers choose to go private or to the charter school Voyager Acadmey -- either of these options would require you to provide transportation.

Durham Technical Community College's Nothern Durham Center is right next to Little River.

The "commute" to Merck is less than 5 minutes. You may also want to check out the town of Hillsborough including developments along St. Marys Road (Hardscrable Plantation, Churton Grove, Grand Oaks Estates). It may stretch your commute time to 20 minutes, but it is a easy drive. However, aside from Churton Grove, which has a shopping plaza right outside of the development, you are going to have the similar rural feeling that you get with the area around Treyburn. Some (like me) enjoy that kind of enviroment, but it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
However, aside from Churton Grove, which has a shopping plaza right outside of the development, you are going to have the similar rural feeling that you get with the area around Treyburn. Some (like me) enjoy that kind of enviroment, but it doesn't appeal to everyone.
Churton Grove is also only about a mile from a small and historic, but busy downtown with restaurants, shops, an organic market, and festivals throughout the year. Also in Hillsborough you'll be near many amenities like doctors offices, yoga/massage studios, parks/Eno River, Triangle SportsPlex - Hillsborough, NC etc., that the Bahama/far north Durham area just doesn't offer. Durham Tech has a campus out there as well and UNC is building a hospital across the street. I LOVE both areas since I grew up halfway between each, but for convenience, I'd choose Hillsborough.

And like Sweatpea mentioned, the commute would still only be about 20 minutes. And that's on country roads, so it's an enjoyable ride. Hardscrabble would put you midway to both areas.

Good luck! It is all really nice out there!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
Thank you....having neighborhood names is extremely helpful.
Are children from these neighborhoods bussed to school, and if so, do you know how long they ride? Also, are there any community college outlets in or near these places?
Durham is based on neighborhood schools, so bus times are minimal. Most of the neighborhoods in the Cole Mill/Umstead/Rose of Sharon area are zoned to Easley or Hillandale, so they're pretty close to the schools. Brogden is genearlly considered the best of the northern Durham middle schools and is a few miles further away, but still not far. Riverside is the better of the northern Durham high schools and is located right on Rose of Sharon Rd.

If you provide some more info on what you're looking for (size/price/surroundings/etc...) I can help you narrow down the list of possible neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary