Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:25 PM

519 posts, read 981,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMtoRTP View Post
Apparently I'm linking a site that I'm not allowed to. Sorry didn't know about that rule.

Sooooo here is city-data's own profile for Durham...

//www.city-data.com/city/Durham-North-Carolina.html

Durham's crime index= 482.5 (the lowest its been in 10 years I might add).

National average= 319.2

Compare Durham to Wilimington. Shocking, actually.

//www.city-data.com/city/Wilmin...-Carolina.html

Wilmington's crime index= 495.5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 PM

233 posts, read 269,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
Unless I missed it, I believe there's one large point about moving to Chapel Hill. If you are a fairly "liberal minded" individual, Chapel Hill / Carrboro might just be the place for you. If you're more of a conservative type, you might want to look elsewhere.

Chapel Hill is more and more becoming known as the liberal capital of the east coast. I'm not saying go or not, but I feel its becoming so liberal-minded in the lifestyle and even the governing of the town, it should be a factor you may want to consider.
I am conservative and I wouldn't let that stop me. It's not like they would stop me from doing what I like doing. For the reasons ILMtoRTP mentioned and more, I would pick CH over Durham. In fact, I would pick every other place in the Triangle over Durham.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I don't think I made a comparison between Durham and Wilmington. I compared Durham to the other cities/towns in the triangle. Yes, both Durham and Wilmington have crime rates much higher than the state average and national average in some areas like homicide. And yes, 8th grade was some time ago however I still visit Durham quite regularly and no in terms of crime it hasn't changed. It still has a higher crime rate than any other neighboring community.
I wouldn't put much stock in comparing Durham to any neighboring community, since those communities (other than Raleigh) are much smaller than Durham.

I don't know what parts of Durham you frequent, but overall, the city has changed dramatically. Of course, there are parts of every city where one should be careful, but Durham is quickly destroying the stigma that clouded it for many years.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
I am conservative and I wouldn't let that stop me. It's not like they would stop me from doing what I like doing. For the reasons ILMtoRTP mentioned and more, I would pick CH over Durham. In fact, I would pick every other place in the Triangle over Durham.
Even Cary over Durham? I jest.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:43 PM

233 posts, read 269,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Even Cary over Durham? I jest.
Yes, even Cary.

But that is the beauty of the Triangle. There is something for eveyone. Note, I did not say Durham was bad. I just said I would not live there for many reasons. Crime is just one of them. I would bet most people who like Durham would not like Cary or Clayton or any place in between and vice versa. Different folks interested in different things or at a different point in their lives. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
Yes, even Cary.

But that is the beauty of the Triangle. There is something for eveyone. Note, I did not say Durham was bad. I just said I would not live there for many reasons. Crime is just one of them. I would bet most people who like Durham would not like Cary or Clayton or any place in between and vice versa. Different folks interested in different things or at a different point in their lives. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO.
Nothing wrong with that at all. That's why I said "I jest." And you are right, there is definitely something for everyone.

It's unfortunate that Durham is seen in such a bad light due to the crime rate. Of course, there are parts of Raleigh I would never live in because of the high crime. But I would never write off an entire city because of crime. Well, the exception is Baltimore, but I digress.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:58 PM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
Quote:
No. I'm not wrong and I have linked the statistics twice. Go back and look.

You are arguing a completely different subject than I am discussing. I never said anything about "peer average." Your link is comparing Durham to a few cherry picked similar sized cities from all around the country, I didn't. That report doesn't look at national or state averages, I did. Durham has a higher crime rate than the national and state average. That is an indisputable fact as I have shown twice. Furthermore the subject was about living in or around Chapel Hill. The crime rate in Shreveport, La or Little Rock, Ar has no bearing on the topic at hand at all. That report in and of itself should tell you something. The city felt the need to put together that report for a reason and the most telling stat in the report is that while neighboring Raleigh is almost twice the size of Durham they have a much lower crime rate.

Now here, for the third time, is Durham's crime stats compared to the national and state averages...
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You can't compare the crime rate between a city and some nebulous average. That's why you use peer groups. If you want to know if Durham has a higher or lower crime rate than it should, then you need to compare it to cities of similar size. That's why we'll compare it to, say, Winston-Salem, a city a little over an hour away with a population within 1%. And, what do you know, we have a lower crime rate than Winston-Salem.

Also, regarding Raleigh. Durham's crime rate today is what Raleigh's was in 2005. Would you have avoided Raleigh at all costs in 2005 due to its crime problem?

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:14 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM

16 posts, read 58,634 times
Quote:
Compare Durham to Wilimington. Shocking, actually.

//www.city-data.com/city/Wilmin...-Carolina.html

Wilmington's crime index= 495.5
You'll get no argument from me on that. Wilmington has several issues, crime being one of them.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 PM

16 posts, read 58,634 times
Quote:
I wouldn't put much stock in comparing Durham to any neighboring community, since those communities (other than Raleigh) are much smaller than Durham.

I don't know what parts of Durham you frequent, but overall, the city has changed dramatically. Of course, there are parts of every city where one should be careful, but Durham is quickly destroying the stigma that clouded it for many years.
For the purpose of this thread, yes you should. The OP is looking for an area in or around Chapel Hill. Winston-Salem, Greensboro, etc aren't pertinent to the discussion.

Yes the city has changed, as any city will over time. The crime problem hasn't though. They had 3 less murders in '09 than they did in '08. That's not much a difference.

Quote:
But I would never write off an entire city because of crime. Well, the exception is Baltimore, but I digress.
Nor did I. In fact my first post on this subject said that crime rates are relative and that certain parts of Durham are better than others. I even suggested that the OP look in Durham for a cheaper option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
You can't compare the crime rate between a city and some nebulous average. That's why you use peer groups. If you want to know if Durham has a higher or lower crime rate than it should, then you need to compare it to cities of similar size. That's why we'll compare it to, say, Winston-Salem, a city a little over an hour away with a population within 1%. And, what do you know, we have a lower crime rate than Winston-Salem.
Sure you can, it's what everyone does to compare. That's the whole point of having a national average and crime index. And again, the point you continue to miss is that the OP is looking in and around CHAPEL HILL. Winston-Salem has no place in the discussion. The crime rate in Durham is higher than in any other area in and around Chapel Hill. That's my point and it is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Also, regarding Raleigh. Durham's crime rate today is what Raleigh's was in 2005. Would you have avoided Raleigh at all costs in 2005 due to its crime problem?
You seem to like to put words in people's mouth. I never once said anyone should avoid Durham at all costs. I never once said Durham is a bad place or a terrible city to live in. Are there any other logical fallacies you would like to make in this thread?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:23 PM

93 posts, read 187,237 times
Well it seems like this thread has gotten off track with crime statistics of Durham. Since so Ive seen several people mention Durham in this and other threads, I may look into it as a possibility (such as the southern section as ILMtoRTP stated) but all depends on the commute. Can anyone tell me what the commute is like from south Durham to UNC-Chapel Hill? Seems like it is all highway driving?

Does anyone have any opinions on Carrboro? 'Ive seen several rentals that look nice and seem very convenient to UNC (within a 15 minute commute). Since I would have to use the park and ride option if I was to get a job at UNC, I think it would be good to live in Chapel Hill or as close as possible since I would still have to ride a bus to work. I would love to be able to walk or just take the bus to work but am willing to drive as long as it is no more than a 30 minute commute (preferably 15 minute commute or less).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary