Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM

233 posts, read 269,984 times

Advertisements

I find it amusing and wonder just how many undocumented transplants there are from India in Cary. I thought most had their papers.

I do have to agree it seems like an odd place to put an office of this sort or almost any. That's not what that shopping center was envisioned to be. There are many other locations in Cary that would be more suitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 PM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
repped him for ya
Thank you.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
I find it amusing and wonder just how many undocumented transplants there are from India in Cary. I thought most had their papers.

I do have to agree it seems like an odd place to put an office of this sort or almost any. That's not what that shopping center was envisioned to be. There are many other locations in Cary that would be more suitable.
Is the contention that the ICE office would be at that shopping center or in Cary generally?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM

273 posts, read 912,099 times
The ICE office is in Cary already and it wants to expand and relocate.

It is currently in an industrial/commercial-industrial park. It is NOT in a retail shopping center. It does not belong in a RETAIL shopping center with ice cream, movies and children. It belongs in another industrial park or near the airport.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
NIMBY! The building is zoned commercial and they are proposing an office with locking doors. Big deal. That area will soon be on the decline anyways. Aging suburban rings almost always decline as newer rings are built out. That is how sprawl typically works out.

Michael

Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4alark View Post
The ICE office is in Cary already and it wants to expand and relocate.

It is currently in an industrial/commercial-industrial park. It is NOT in a retail shopping center. It does not belong in a RETAIL shopping center with ice cream, movies and children. It belongs in another industrial park or near the airport.
If it's allowed to be there under current zoning laws, I don't see the problem.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
It's not allowed under current zoning. I'm normally one that calls out people for being NIMBYs and arguing for development but there's a place for everything and an ICE office has no business being in that location when there are plenty if suitable office buildings all over western wake.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 06-28-2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It's not allowed under current zoning.
Thanks for the info!

If it is not allowed, why are they even thinking of moving there? Really makes no sense to me.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It's not allowed under current zoning. I'm normally one that calls out people for being NIMBYs and arguing for development but there's a place for everything and an ICE office has no business being in that location when there are plenty if suitable office buildings all over western wake.
The Federal Gov't is not beholden to zoning laws, and have not notified the Town of Cary what they plan to do, nor do they have to.

The current facility they are using is 8500 square feet; the old Kroger is 55,000 square feet. One wonders why they need such a large facility....one that's 5 times as large as the current one.

When I lived in NY, there was an ICE facility across town, in an industrial/commercial neighborhood, which is where this belongs. If they need that much space, they aren't just going to be bringing people in and out. After living with this in NY, I'll just tell you it gives the word "LOITERING" a new meaning. But hey, maybe they'll be buying Baskin Robbins ice cream, Dunkin Donuts, chinese food, cigars and renting movies.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
NIMBY! The building is zoned commercial and they are proposing an office with locking doors. Big deal. That area will soon be on the decline anyways. Aging suburban rings almost always decline as newer rings are built out. That is how sprawl typically works out.

Michael
I agree with Mike...we have seen this aging out in Raleigh. When I owned a business, I was constantly approached by developers reps to move down the street into their upcoming new shopping ctr or strip. So new centers fill at the expense of the older ones. Sad, but this has been an ongoing issue in Wake. For you Cary folks, this might be a new issue? But the reality is that the developer/landlord has to rent his space and the govt is a good risk so I can see why they'd want to rent to them...family area or not.

Sorry you are feeling dismayed by this issue. But honestly Raleigh has carried the burden of many similar facilities for decades. It seems to make sense that if it's already in the area, they would want their offices nearby. The article doesn't read as though it's a detention center as you fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary