Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 08:12 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times

Advertisements

Sorry I'm so late in reporting back to this forum, which was so helpful to us when preparing for our trip by the way (thank you all!). Raleigh was beautiful! I had a some unorganized thoughts I'd like to share with the board:

- I'm actually posting a picture of a billboard because it was one of only two we saw in Raleigh. One of the things we really loved was that it didn't feel commercialized everywhere we went. The freeways are lined with trees, not signs.
- I knew that Raleigh had 300 something thousand people before going, but coming from a huge metropolitan area, I was surprised at how hard it was to adjust to a smaller city like this. Yes, we want to move somewhere that isn't as big, but something about it just felt strange to us. To be able to get from one side of the city to the other in twenty minutes was very different. We would get used to it, of course, but I thought I'd share with those considering a move from the big city. I didn't expect to feel so odd about it.
- Our general impressions of cities: Knightdale was close to Raleigh with good freeway access. It's not built up, but you get more for your money there. If you were looking for more land/bigger house and a country feel, this was a nice place. Wake Forest was more than twenty minutes from downtown (in light traffic), so we didn't look there (we didn't want to get attached because we've heard it's nice!). Cary was a nice suburb and did have that soccer-mom feel. It's large enough to have all the conveniences, but small enough to feel home-y. Once it gets dark, though, there's little to do. It was very clean, and we felt completely safe there. Holly Springs felt very country, very small town and out of the way. Even though Fuquay Varina is further out in m iles, it has the 401 for better access to Raleigh. We liked Fuquay, but decided we don't want to live that far. We fell in love with Raleigh and decided we'd like to live there. If you want to be in the more "hip" and lively part of town, you'll want to look in the beltline. There are a lot of historic restorations off Hillsborough St. that look exciting! We're priced out of there, so we can't even look! North Raleigh, while in the city, feels more like a quiet suburb and seems like a great place for a family. We liked the houses along Milbrook and near Lynn Rd. and the 70, but we're also priced out of that area. We will probably look by Durant Rd. when we're able to move.
- We met a lot of transplants who were very selfish. They knew little of NC history, didn't take part in the culture, and were all about bigger house for me and better car for me. In fact, the only two people we heard honking a horn had NE license plates (PA and MA). We'd be transplants as well, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents on the situation. When we move, we'll make a point to be part of Raleigh culture. I'm sure that not everyone is like this, but we were surprised at how widespread the selfishness was.
- We found that there is a lot to do with kids in Raleigh. To our surprise, an entire day out as a family of three cost us under $20.
- There seemed to be a general respect for education in the area.
- We are concerned that Raleigh is going to change quite a bit. Both my husband and I felt like we'd better not become to attached to what Raleigh is now because it will undergo much change in the next few years.
- The natives were very friendly towards transplants.
- RDU is the only airport I've been to where an employee came after us to tell us we're headed the wrong direction with a stroller. He led us to an elevator and gave us directions to baggage claim... all without us saying a word!
- Raleigh is at the top of the list for art innovation. In fact, it's right by San Francisco and Seattle. We, for some reason, had a hard time finding the art/music scene. I don't know if it's because the college kids were gone for the summer or what, but where do we find this?

Okay, here are the pics of Raleigh. I tried to take them of random roads, parks, neighborhoods, and things you would see on a normal day. There are a few of Pullen Park and the arboretum (I'm sure I spelled that wrong!):

Pullen Park:

Random Townhouses:

Durant Park:

Downtown:

Arboretum:

Knightdale, Edenburgh's Keep:

Beaver's Dam, Knightdale:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
You mentioned you are interested in the Durant Road Area. I think the neighborhood called Durant Trails is very nice. It is not new, but offers nice .25 acre lots and mature trees. Homes start in the low 200's and up.

If you want to check out some art, Downtown Raleigh has an event the first friday of every month called "First Fridays". All of the art galleries and studios downtown participate in he event. Often times artists are on hand to explain their work. I like to go to a place called Artspace on first friday. It is a large are gallery/studio with many different artists. They offer beer and wine and usually have music. It is a very popular place to visit and quite a bit of fun.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks, NRG. We did like Durant Trails community. Actually, one of the pics is from that community and we saw a couple houses there. I'm glad you gave some art suggestions!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
Loved the pics of Pullen Park. A family favorite of ours. We went there on our first trip down here before we moved and we still go back. My little boy loves the train ride.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
Loved the pics of Pullen Park. A family favorite of ours. We went there on our first trip down here before we moved and we still go back. My little boy loves the train ride.
That was one of the best parts of the trips for us because our son just LOVED it!

Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I think that you will find that many things in Raleigh will change over time while others stay the same or improve. The city, inside the beltline, is more stable and change is not very drastic. I think there will be significant change downtown over the next 5-10 years but I expect the main surrounding neighborhoods, parks, amenities to remain stable and in good repair. Much of the city's 60's-70's development is undergoing its own metamorphasis as areas that were once considered "way out of town" become more urban. A perfect example of this is what is happening in the North Hills area at Six Forks and I-440. The city network of parks and greenways will sustain and likely grow. And, anything considered too disruptive to life is usually greatly challenged by the impacted neighborhoods and citizens. The perfect example of this was the backlash against what neighbors considered to be an undesirable development near Cameron Village that they penned: "Coker Towers" back around 2000. You may have seen the Dix306 signs in yards around town. That too is a citizen activist activity to push for state land, primarily to the South of Pullen Park to become more parkland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary