Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM

121 posts, read 353,698 times

Advertisements

Best neighborhood for my age range:

Female
Single-hetro
Caucasian
Age:39 (a young 39) but not into the party scene, but will partake once in a while...my speed at this point in my life is (great food, wine bars/lounge/pubs, see a play/live music) outdoors, hiking, gym/yoga
No kids
Social Work salary

Woud like be in an area that is close to cafes, coffee shops, some nightlife, etc. I don't need to be smack in the center of it all but fairly close. Mature nightlife scene,Age range between 33-50...Singles,married couples, I prefer areas with less kids and even less college kids...just a good mix. Equal ratio of straight men to women (or an even higher percentage of single straight men would be more to my liking) (hey! one can dream)

So you get a feel for what my type of hood is, these are the last 3 places I lived over the past 13yrs (grew up in NY and Florida)

Charleston, SC for 7yrs (mt. pleasant)
Charlotte, NC for about 2 yrs (dillworth)
Chicago for 4yrs- East lakeview (about 3miles north of downtown Chicago and right off of Lakeshore Drive and 5 blocks to Wrigley Field) and lived in Wicker Park

So far these zip codes seem to be in the age range of what I am looking for from my research: 27605, 27604, 27609, 27615, 27614

thanks for the help!

Last edited by jld13072; 07-12-2011 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,368 times
i would say a SFH around north hills mall or a condo downtown

Old 07-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
i would say a SFH around north hills mall or a condo downtown

what is SFH?

Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jld13072 View Post
what is SFH?
In that context I would guess Single Family Home.

Agree that North Hills and downtown are two good places to start.

Frank

Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
Except that I doubt a social work salary can afford a downtown condo or single family home in North Hills. Don't take it personally... I'm a social worker too and know all too well! Posting your budget will help with recommendations.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Except that I doubt a social work salary can afford a downtown condo or single family home in North Hills. Don't take it personally... I'm a social worker too and know all too well! Posting your budget will help with recommendations.

How are the job prospects for SW? My rent range would be $750-950 range. I'm more about location then "upscale" living. I don't need all the bells and whistles and large sq footage. (even though it would be nice to have that, I'm not shelling out $1500/mo on rent even if I was making alot more) Just somewhere safe, clean, updated, would like hardwood floors and quiet and 30+ plus age range.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:42 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
If you are licensed, there are a decent amount of job openings, but I have no clue what the competition is like. I used indeed.com a LOT when I first got here, along with the medical and nonprofit sections on craigslist. I know there are some rentals around Cameron Village. If they fall in your price range (not sure how much they are) that would be a great area for you. There are some white attached type homes along with brick townhomes/duplexes. Also, look at craigslist for housing rentals around that area (believe it's still 27605 over there). There are lots of students mixed in with professionals, but the location is great.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
If you are licensed, there are a decent amount of job openings, but I have no clue what the competition is like. I used indeed.com a LOT when I first got here, along with the medical and nonprofit sections on craigslist. I know there are some rentals around Cameron Village. If they fall in your price range (not sure how much they are) that would be a great area for you. There are some white attached type homes along with brick townhomes/duplexes. Also, look at craigslist for housing rentals around that area (believe it's still 27605 over there). There are lots of students mixed in with professionals, but the location is great.

thanks! I have my BSW with 7yrs exp in Mental Health and Foster Care. I was never licensed in SC or NC with my previous job, however I think it would be a good idea to get my license for more opps. I actually have not worked in the field for the past 5yrs though, so I hope getting back into it won't be tough. I can't imagine why it would be, being that I still have the same skills and knowledge as I did before. I wouldn't mind doing something else but I figured it would be easier to find a job in something I am experienced in rather than trying for a new career in this economy.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Glenwood South is a good place to look and, while the upscale condos and apartments get all the attention, there are other more modest places to rent in the 'hood. Where's Miamiblue these days??? She can tell you all about looking for a non-complex rental in the area and within your budget. If you don't mind an older post-war complex, there are several between Glenwood and Cameron Village and along Hillsborough Street (across from St. Mary's College).

While most of 27603 is out in the burbs, it somehow slices into downtown and captures most of the West side of Downtown. So, don't discount that zip in your search,

Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,368 times
750-950 will get you a nice 1 BR apartment or condo downtown...there are a few complexes on glenwood ave inside the beltline that would work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary