Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan
Knightdale is a decent middle class town that has had gang problems but is doing a good job at solving them.
you're basing this on old information, i assume. while there has been some activity, knightdale has never really been one that "outshone" everywhere else in the raleigh area, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzle View Post
Well, I'm crossing that off the list then. I want the safest environment for my kids and don't want to be anywhere near gangs.
please don't do that. knightdale would easily be that, as would most places in the raleigh area. knightdale is definitely not a downtown los angeles or anything else in terms of gang involvement. it would not be worse than most other areas of raleigh.

as for clayton (or really any area) i'd definitely give consideration to work locations before selecting an area based on how far you are willing to commute. the triangle is quite widespread & work location could be a large consideration for your family in terms of financial & time costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM

53 posts, read 95,661 times
Ok, thank you for letting me know that, I think I'm going to have my mother in law drive over there and take a look then. The place is perfect for us, and I was very excited about it as a possibility until I heard about gangs. I cringe at graffiti and stuff like that (we don't have much of it where we live now), and I especially don't want to live in a place where there are violent gangs, as I would worry about my kids.

Does anyone know what school zone Sorcerers Court and that area is in?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzle View Post
Ok, thank you for letting me know that, I think I'm going to have my mother in law drive over there and take a look then. The place is perfect for us, and I was very excited about it as a possibility until I heard about gangs. I cringe at graffiti and stuff like that (we don't have much of it where we live now), and I especially don't want to live in a place where there are violent gangs, as I would worry about my kids.
sorry, but this really makes me laugh. there is nothing like that in knightdale. as i said, there are parts of raleigh that may be worse than what you are thinking. i honestly cannot think of anywhere in knightdale that would even remotely resemble waht you describe above.

Quote:
Does anyone know what school zone Sorcerers Court and that area is in?
sorry, i don't have kids & therefore have no knowledge of schools but i'm sure others can help.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 PM

Well, the listing is gone so it looks like that home has probably been rented anyway. The search continues!

Can someone who has kids please tell me how the year round school works? I'd never even heard of such a thing (in the US anyway) until recently.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Instead of getting out for 2.5 straight months in June, July and August, the year round schools usually get 4 shorter breaks evenly distributed over the course of the year.

One long summer break, vs 4 shorter seasonal breaks.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
You can get the Wake County Public School assignments for any address here:
Determine School by Student Address

Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Thank you! I searched for something like that to figure out school zones!

And my husband thinks that 4 shorter breaks sounds better. lol!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
as far as things to do: I can speak a bit to North Raleigh.

Millbrook has a public pool with a kids 'spray zone' kind of area. It is kind of odd to get to - it is off of Spring Forest rd, and you take a left between the Fire Station and the High School -- then follow the pretty winding lane back until you find the pool area. free parking.

Blue Jay Point Park is off of Six Forks Rd between 98 and 'possum track' -- it has a great playground area, you can walk down to the lake (no swimming at that access point), and it has big fields where you can run around, frisbees, etc. It also has picnic tables under trees so you can pack a lunch or dinner. and restrooms are available.

Durant Rd. Nature park is pretty -- off of Durant road.

There is a public playground off of Lynn Rd and Lead Mine rd - next to the school. You go into Lynn Rd Elementary and it is on the left hand side.

If you have school age kids, marbles museum downtown is a lot of fun. Not sure of price to get in.

While you are downtown, you can hit the natural history museum and the museum of natural sciences - both are free IIRC. There is also the art museum off of blue ridge rd.

If you want to head over to durham, there is the science museum (has an admission price) and a butterfly house. Chapel hill offers the planetarium which is fun to go to a show.

There is plenty to do to fill up your time here!

year round - school started this week for the school year for 3 tracks. You get on a 'track' and then your kids go to school for 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off. The track depends on when the 3 weeks off are going to be. I have heard through the grapevine that getting on a track that has more than one 'class' is helpful because then there are more kids to play with consistently and it allows switching of teachers if necessary. Some schools aren't crowded enough to warrant more than one class per track, but it is a question worth asking. Some folks like having their kids on different tracks so they have 1:1 time, but most like to get their kids on the same track which is helpful for family vacations. Everyone gets the major holidays off like xmas and thanksgiving and everyone gets the week around fourth of july off. So even if on different tracks, holidays aren't impacted too terribly. and you have that one week in july to all take off somewhere.

If both parents are working, then I have *heard* that camp situations are more expensive for year round. If one parent has a flexible schedule or isn't working full-time, then they LOVE the year round system because there isn't one long summer to fill. Instead, there are breaks which are appreciated by all - especially when vacationing @ disney (driving distance here) during off season rates. w00t!

Good luck with your move. Don't discount the North Raleigh area for rentals -- There are nice scatterings of apartments, houses in different price ranges and townhomes in the area between rte 70 and Capital and the beltline and wake forest.

also note: not all elementaries are year round so type in the address to see what the choices are for the address at the link provided above.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM

Thank you so much!

My husband will be working and I'll be staying at home with the kids for the most part, it's important to me to help them acclimate as this will be a huge change for them. My older son was born in Raleigh, but was less than a month old when we moved back up north, so NH is all they know.

I am still a bit confused on the school thing though. So if we were to move down there around the 20th of August, would we just jump in on a track that is already in school or wait for the next track to start? We have nothing like this up here.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 AM

323 posts, read 634,135 times
Your kids are young and will acclimate faster than you will! I have a 9 and 11 years old and my 9 year old loves it. I put him in the camp at the local Y, which is beautiful here, and he's set. My daughter visited her schools and is excited. I took her shopping and she loved it. There's so much to do here, we are overwhelmed with the options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary