Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,547 times

Advertisements

HI I have been considering moving to the Raleigh,Sanford area. How is the job market,apartment cost and crime rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Depending on the job skills one has, opportunities range from NON-EXISTANT to better than average.

If someone is coming to the area with basic skills, the opportunities are few. With a skill set like computer, technology, or such, opportunities are a little better. I think NC is still around 9% unemployment? MANY of the schools districts just laid off 100-150 staff in each county. Lots of these folks have college degress and years of experience which makes finding a job much more difficult.

Crime is like everywhere else. You want it, you can find it. It is easy to avoid if you know the neighborhoods.

Apartment rent is also a mixed bag. Someplaces it will cost $550 month for a decent place. Other places will get you in a bad neighborhood for the same $550. What can you afford and what are you willing to pay is the question. Want to be close to work? You might pay more?

Have you been to Sanford? It isn't Chicago or Metropolis...

Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,954,242 times
I have a good friend who can't wait to move out of Sanford. There aren't many amenities there, so he's looking in places like Garner, which is a lot closer to Raleigh and civilization. I love small towns, but I have to agree with him on Sanford; it doesn't have a lot going for it.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,729,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
but I have to agree with him on Sanford; it doesn't have a lot going for it.
I've lived in Sanford my entire life. It's just like any other town, it's what you make of it. It's the things it doesn't have that I like such as traffic, long lines to eat, etc...

Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 AM

635 posts, read 3,093,713 times
Lightbulb Sanford is a great place, but what are you looking for?

I may be coming in too late in this thread but....

If one does a search for "sanford" in the "North Carolina" forum or "Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area" sub-forum, you'll find several threads asking similar questions about Sanford, in many of which I and others have written some lengthy descriptions of Sanford and why I think it is a fine place to live and raise a family. So I'd definitely start there.

But Sanford is like any other city. It has a lot going for it, and it has some challenges. But one thing I know about Sanford is that we strive and continue to improve. And being a smaller city, those small improvements add up fast and are noticeable.

Sanford is Lee County's only "large" city, at approximately 30k population and is about half of the entire county's population.

It is very conveniently located almost literally in the center of the state, and is nearly equidistant from Cary, Raleigh, Fayetteville, and nearly so to Greensboro.

This location is ideal if one likes the small(er) town feel, but wants to be within a short drive to the "big city".

Sanford is the kind of place where you know your city councilmen by name, and they know you, and the mayor waves at you and comes to say hello at a local restaurant. It is the kind of town where you can have an impact and feel like you are part of the process, not just a nameless cog in a giant machine.

Sanford has a historic downtown area, free summer concerts, free summer outdoor movies and we've got big box retailers, and subdivisions/developments that run the gamut from historic districts, brand new homes, to rural farms all within 10 minutes of each other.

I can't tell you if you'd like Sanford, but I can say that Sanford is great small city that has lots of potential. It's location alone is a mix of being just close enough to take advantage of the larger cities nearby, but being just far enough away to maintain that small-town feel.

Depending on what one is looking for, you may love Sanford or may not, but I'd encourage anyone to at least come down and check it out especially during our festival season such as our famous pottery festival.

Good luck on your search!
Al

Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,743 times
We're coming in from NY. Sanford sounds pretty much like what we are looking for. We looked in Raleigh and all the neighboring areas, but we want out of the city, but still want access to the city amenities. Sanford sounds perfect. It's kind of the way we've always lived. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:25 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Kiner View Post
We're coming in from NY. Sanford sounds pretty much like what we are looking for. We looked in Raleigh and all the neighboring areas, but we want out of the city, but still want access to the city amenities. Sanford sounds perfect. It's kind of the way we've always lived. Thanks.
I think I'd also consider some towns closer to Raleigh like Fuquay-Varina if you aren't comfortable being super-close. Sanford's a pretty good hike from city amenities.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 PM

99 posts, read 182,001 times
most people I know tend to live near work, or particular school district, or both. Rush hour traffic in and out of RTP and downtown can be a nightmare. If there is a wreck you might see your kids before they go to bed. This area has had tremendous growth since I moved here 25 years ago. There was a time when you could travel I-40 or I-540 and not see much traffic. Not anymore.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:54 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Kiner View Post
I spent sixteen years living near Sanford. It does have a lot going for it, but it has more bad oints in my opinion. It is a factory town with fewer and fewer factory jobs. IMO, the mindset was very simple, and not at all worldly. Crime is horrible, the schools are among the worst in the area, and not very safe. There were some attempts to get some decent restaurants, but most failed. It is a town with a Walmart mentality. (I don't hate Walmart, but it is not where I want to live!).

I moved to Cary about a year ago, and never realized just how much of a crap-hole Sanford really was. Sorry for those that this offends, but it is my opinion. As others have said, there are "bedroom communities" of Raleigh that might suit you better.

Not everyone would agree with me, so check it out for yourself. Spend some time, talk to some people. (If you like NASCAR, hunting, discussing what church your neighbor goes to, and debating which non-white race is the downfall of America, you may actually love it there.)

Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I spent sixteen years living near Sanford. It does have a lot going for it, but it has more bad oints in my opinion. It is a factory town with fewer and fewer factory jobs. IMO, the mindset was very simple, and not at all worldly. Crime is horrible, the schools are among the worst in the area, and not very safe. There were some attempts to get some decent restaurants, but most failed. It is a town with a Walmart mentality. (I don't hate Walmart, but it is not where I want to live!).

I moved to Cary about a year ago, and never realized just how much of a crap-hole Sanford really was. Sorry for those that this offends, but it is my opinion. As others have said, there are "bedroom communities" of Raleigh that might suit you better.

Not everyone would agree with me, so check it out for yourself. Spend some time, talk to some people. (If you like NASCAR, hunting, discussing what church your neighbor goes to, and debating which non-white race is the downfall of America, you may actually love it there.)
After riding through on Amtrak, I agree with your assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary