Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 AM

202 posts, read 949,706 times

Advertisements

I am am under contract on the house I am selling and I wanted to know what should I do to prepare the house for the buyers. I am getting it professionally cleaned and was going to touch up the nail holes and other scuff marks on the walls with touch up paint. Anything else? I know my contract says just "broom swept" but that seemed rather weak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
"Broom clean" doesn't require more than removing items not to be given to the buyer as stated in the contract and sweeping up any debris from move-out.

Any damage that occurred after the buyer inspected should be fixed too.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:55 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithgolf2000 View Post
I am am under contract on the house I am selling and I wanted to know what should I do to prepare the house for the buyers. I am getting it professionally cleaned and was going to touch up the nail holes and other scuff marks on the walls with touch up paint. Anything else? I know my contract says just "broom swept" but that seemed rather weak.
It seems that one person's "broom clean" is another person's "squalor and filth."
It is classy to have the place extremely clean, even if that means hiring a cleaning service for a move-out clean.
The Buyer will notice on their walk-through and thank you for it.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
That would be a very nice touch.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
As a buyer I would be very appreciative of the efforts you described above. I have read on other forums how some sellers try to leave any owner manuals they have for appliances that convey with house. Again, not necessary, but I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Our seller left a partially used can of paint that he recently used to paint the interior. It came in very handy to us since we didn't have to guess the paint color name or formula when we wanted to touch-up a few scuff marks from our move in process.

I thought it was a nice touch.

Best of luck with the closing!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:19 AM

202 posts, read 949,706 times
Yes, I already have all the manuals set aside and I have all the paint cans stored in the garage for them. Thanks for the comments.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:37 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
We also left an owner's manual but we did not leave the paint cans, we left the paint chips from the store we purchased it from. The previous owners of our home left an entire shed full of paint cans. (interior, exterior, shutters, shed, porch, trim etc).

It was irritating because then WE were the ones who had to clear out the shed and take all the paint cans to the dump to be specially prepared so they could be thrown away (since they're considered toxic).
Before leaving paint cans, I would ask the buyers if they WANT the paint cans or if they'd just prefer a list of color names and where they came from. I expected the shed to be cleaned out when we moved in and was slightly irritated at finding all the paint cans stacked up in there! Plus, depending on how old the paint is and how well it was stored, a lot of times you can't even use the old paint. My vote is for getting RID of the paint and leave them the colors in the owner's manual unless they specifically ask for the paint cans.
As for preparing the house, I think we just did a regular cleaning, made sure the kitchen sink and counters were cleaned up, the floors were clean, the bathrooms were clean, there was nothing laying around the yard and all the trash had been taken care of and removed. Most of it was already pretty clean anyway because we'd been out of the house for a few months before we closed. Also, we touched up the trim and doors with paint before we listed the house, so that type of stuff didn't really need to done again.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
We also left the paint cans. We also left the fireplace supplies (wood, fire starter logs, fireplace tools) since our old house had a wood fireplace and our new house has gas. We asked the buyers if they wanted these things before hand though.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:47 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Cut the grass too. Our house we bought in Durham was clean but the owner had not cut the grass for at least 2 weeks. We did not move our mower as it was a corded electric mower and we now have a bigger lot. Being new to town we had to scramble to find someone to mow the lawn. Thank goodness for craigslist.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:50 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times
In addition to the move out cleaning, manuals, and leaving the paint (after we verified they wanted it) we also prepared a document for them. It detailed:

- Service providers we liked (handyman, plumber, maid, HVAC, electrician, fence)
- HOA website
- Favorite neighborhood restaurants
- Dog parks and Vet (we knew they had a puppy)
- HVAC filter sizes
- Instructions for turning on the whole house humidifier each winter
- Location of all the shut off valves

The couple that bought our house were first time home buyers. So we put a little more effort into the document than if it had been seasoned buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary