Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

I just won two tickets to Furthur at the Raleigh Amphitheatre. I have yet to pick them up, but I'm told the tickets are for VIP seating and include VIP parking. I figure the VIP seats will be pretty good, but I am curious what VIP parking is all about. Any experiences with either at the new Amphitheatre would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 PM

263 posts, read 572,611 times
Never heard of VIP parking. I'm pretty sure there's no "official" amphitheater parking. I guess it depends on who you won the tickets from. Either they're paying your $10 for parking in one of the nearby decks, or maybe they have a deal with one of the nearby dirt lots, like across Lenoir St.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM

260 posts, read 545,888 times
I've been to the amphitheater, and didn't know that they had VIP parking. Learn something new everyday! VIP seating may mean that it's in one of the boxes, which all seem good.

I'll be there on Thursday too! We are in section 7 though, in row A. My son and I are going. I get to show him why I loved going to Dead shows so much. Really looking forward to it. The sets that Furthur has been doing are absolutely phenomenal. Can't wait to see what they have lined up for us.

Enjoy the show!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times
I wonder if the VIP parking is from when they were having it at Alltel Pavilion because they started there and moved it downtown. It will be a great show!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb24 View Post
I'll be there on Thursday too! We are in section 7 though, in row A. My son and I are going. I get to show him why I loved going to Dead shows so much. Really looking forward to it. The sets that Furthur has been doing are absolutely phenomenal. Can't wait to see what they have lined up for us.

Enjoy the show!
+1 on this. I'm in Section 6, row d (I think). I've seen Further twice (and the Grateful Dead more than I care to admit). Never saw any of the other post-jerry bands, but this band is AWESOME. I saw them in Red Rocks, and they played a phenominal set list, then I saw the last night in Radio City this spring, and they played nearly five hours with Elvis Costello, Larry Campbell and both of their wives. Absolutely AWESOME.

I mention the show with Elvis because New Riders of the Purple Sage is playing at the Lincoln Theater on Thursday night (I have tickets for that too.) Jerry was a member of the band, and Phil was for a short time. Bobby contributed song(s), and Donna-Jean, Micky and Billy all played with them at one time or another. In other words, there is a very tight tie-in between the bands. It would be really cool to see a guest appearance (first set), but how AWESOME would it be to see Phil sit in on a few songs in a small place like the Lincoln Theater.

NRG, I have no idea about the parking. I believe the seating is the tables between the front sections and the rear sections. Should be really good. I hope you're already a fan, but if you are not, it should still be a great show. I hate to say it, but they are playing better now than most of the shows I saw from 1984 - 1985. Very talented band, and as mentioned, much more creative setlists than anything I can remember.

Have a great time! I'm very excited.

EDIT:

Here is some info on New Riders, quoted from their website:
Quote:
In the summer of 1969, John Dawson was looking to showcase his songs while Jerry Garcia was looking to practice his brand new pedal steel guitar. The two played in coffeehouses and small clubs initially, and the music they made became the nucleus for a band—the New Riders of the Purple Sage.
That same year, David Nelson, expert in both country and rock guitar, joined the group on electric lead guitar. Filling out the rhythm section in those early days were Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart and engineer Bob Matthews on bass, who was later replaced by Phil Lesh. In 1970, Dave Torbert took over on bass and the New Riders played every chance they got. Soon enough, smoky clubs all over the San Francisco bay area were filling up with whooping, foot-stomping crowds as their music got tighter and more dynamic. They began to tour extensively with the Dead, and in December of 1970, Spencer Dryden, who had previously showed his impeccable drumming style with the Jefferson Airplane, had stepped in on drums.

One of the many gigs with the Dead included the Trans-Canadian Festival Express with Janis Joplin, The Band, and other American and Canadian artists like Ian and Sylvia, who had with them a brilliant, innovative pedal steel player named Buddy Cage. When Garcia's busy schedule made it increasingly difficult for him to play with the New Riders, the talented Cage was the perfect choice to fill the pedal steel spot. He moved from Toronto where he had been working in Anne Murray's band, to California in the fall of 1971 to join the New Riders. With the addition of Cage, the New Riders emerged as a fully independent unit. An excitingly creative band with a special brand of music—sweet country harmonies mixed with pulsing rock rhythms. The New Riders were signed to Columbia Records in 1971 by Clive Davis and their eponymous first album, New Riders of the Purple Sage, was released in September of that year to widespread acclaim. In December, 1971 they played a live radio broadcast with the Dead over WNEW-FM in New York to an audience of millions. In 1972 the pattern of their success continued to grow, with their first European tour followed in June by the release of their second album, Powerglide. They toured the United States extensively in response to increasing demand, and in November, 1972 released their third album Gypsy Cowboy.These first three New Riders albums were all produced by Stephen Barncard, who also worked with Crosby, Stills and Nash and co-produced the Dead's American Beauty.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM

260 posts, read 545,888 times
Concert was awesome and the Amphitheater did a really good job handling an eclectic crowd. I don't think anyone stayed in their actual seats, and there wasn't much enforcement of it, either. Good thing about a concert like this is that no one cares.

There seemed to be much better traffic flow patterns and traffic "help" than I've seen at any of the other concerts that I've gone to there. Things are looking up for organization in Raleigh, it appears.

(and INCREDIBLE setlist, too!!!!! Still humming)

Old 07-29-2011, 01:33 PM

278 posts, read 577,154 times
mjb24- as the mother of one going tonight how long do their concerts usually last? They are going to the Amp.
If anyone has a ballpark idea it would help me. I assume about 2 hours.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:48 PM

263 posts, read 572,611 times
I bet it will be over around 10:00.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 PM

278 posts, read 577,154 times
Thanks, even though they are old enough to go, it helps to have some kind of timeframe to work with.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:04 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
mjb24- as the mother of one going tonight how long do their concerts usually last? They are going to the Amp.
If anyone has a ballpark idea it would help me. I assume about 2 hours.
Our nonprofit is working a couple of beer stands there tonight. We are scheduled to work until 11:30pm. I think the noise ordinance states they have to stop playing at 11pm on the weekends, but I'm not sure. There is at least one warmup band; gates open at 6:30pm. HTH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary