Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM

146 posts, read 266,615 times

Advertisements

About myself.

Consider me a fiesty 80 year old, though I am only late 40's.
That is about my activity level as I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for over 20 years. I am unable to work.

Where exactly should I live if I will have to rely on buses, the shortest of bicycle rides and on social services. I've never had to do this before. I am fleeing from my situation--- long time overdue.

So if you all could pitch in and advise me, having the perspective of what I will need, I'd sure appreciate it. Where should I live, what neighborhood.

My interests are reading, and bookstores, sitting out in nature/park, Farmers Markets, looking at art. There are meditation groups of Self-Realization Fellowship in Chapel Hill and Eugene which I would be a part of when living there.

I've never been truly poor, so I don't know how best to live it. I will learn.

In Kindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Chapel Hill has good and free buses but rents are steep. Perhaps a community for the disabled?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
chapel hill/carrboro have free bus service. not cheap to live here but carrboro has great farmers market, lots of great entertainment, art shows, literary events, etc.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 AM

146 posts, read 266,615 times
Thanks.

I have heard, there is a huge increase in energy after leaving an abusive relationship if that is so then maybe my CFS will not be so disabling and I can at least work part time.

Otherwise I will be in total poverty needing food stamps and welfare but not immediately, there will be a little money, Ill be able to get to my destination, have a car, rent an apartment but it won't last long.

Is there poor parts of town in Chapel Hill/Carrboro? Or not really.

I thought that if I was going to be poor then the best place to be would be the "student ghetto" lots of services/buses/ and lots of kids that is not your typical "where the poor folk live" It would have such energy and vitality. There are so many universities in the Tri area.

I am not officially disabled, as I lost all appeals over 20 years ago with social security disability. Many people never got SSI back then.

So I've been in such a compromised situation for decades, and now want a home where I can relax. Even in poverty.

I've looked at other communities. But they don't pan out as far as the ease of transportation for me, and easy climate to be standing outside in. I'm not good with the 6 months of extreme summer here in SoFL nor would I be good with very cold extended winters.

I thought of Asheville and Greenville, ABQ and Smyrna, GA. But for different reasons they are not going to work I think.

What do you think of your area? Is there any area that you think would be better in the US?

Thank you

Old 08-23-2011, 05:29 PM

413 posts, read 878,249 times
Default Interact of Wake

In Raleigh, Interact provides housing and assistance at no
cost to people fleeing domestic violence. CALL THEM,
even if out of state. They can be a great help. Their
office is on top of a police station, so you can feel
very safe. Free counseling, help with substance abuse,
clothing.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM

72 posts, read 170,481 times
There is a meet-up group for people with Chronic conditions. I bet they would have some great ideas for you:

Chronic Connections of Durham/Chapel Hill (Durham, NC) - Meetup

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary