Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
No, It's not.
In the North Carolina accent, which includes most Wendell natives, YES, IT IS. Just like "pen" and "pin", etc (which is why many Southerners refer to an "ink pen", which is redundant, but clarifies between a "pin" and a "pen"). This is regional dialect 101. Find me a native NC person with a Southern accent who says "wehn", I'd love to meet them and interview them--please post a youtube link of someone saying that who is Southern. Other than the long "I" sound, it is one of the primary distinguishing features of Southern English (I have a degree in Linguistics and a special interest in regional accents)

The point was not "wen" vs "win", but "DELL" vs "Duhl", anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
In the North Carolina accent, which includes most Wendell natives, YES, IT IS. Just like "pen" and "pin", etc (which is why many Southerners refer to an "ink pen", which is redundant, but clarifies between a "pin" and a "pen"). This is regional dialect 101. Find me a native NC person with a Southern accent who says "wehn", I'd love to meet them and interview them--please post a youtube link of someone saying that who is Southern. Other than the long "I" sound, it is one of the primary distinguishing features of Southern English (I have a degree in Linguistics and a special interest in regional accents)

The point was not "wen" vs "win", but "DELL" vs "Duhl", anyway.
I don't care what kind of degree you have. It's WEN-DEL, NOT WIN-DEL. I'll give you my native southern accent, but I'm not posting it on youtube.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:48 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Why don't we get a native to chime in???

Old 08-04-2011, 12:37 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I'm a native to Raleigh with a southern accent and I've always said when- Dell. I've also heard win- Dell. Neither is wrong IMO.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
How would Stewie Griffin pronounce it? Either way, I like Wendell!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 AM

53 posts, read 95,549 times
I was really just wondering if if was a short "dle" or a long "dell".

As in "wendle" vs. "wendEll".

When I first read it online, I read it as wen-dell with emphasis on the dell, but then my friend from NC (not native) had said it more like wendle and I didn't know which was correct.

My husband visited the house yesterday while down in NC for his interview and said it seems like a nice, country town. It was quiet and the houses were a decent space apart. Kind of like where we live now, we love to have friendly neighbors but we also like our space and privacy.

He also said it didn't take them more than 20/25 minutes to get there from my MIL's house in N. Raleigh which is great. Seems like exactly what we're looking for.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
Wow, some people are touchy about this!

My buddy was born in and has lived in Wendell his entire life and he pronounces it "When-Dell".

Old 08-04-2011, 12:37 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzle View Post

He also said it didn't take them more than 20/25 minutes to get there from my MIL's house in N. Raleigh which is great. Seems like exactly what we're looking for.
Yep, most folks don't realize that east of Raleigh is a pretty good location now since the hwy 64 bypass has been built. Traffic used to jam up on 64 business, not anymore, it's a piece of cake. Add to that 540 in Knightdale, and you can fly around and thru town in no time. You'll find the communities around there to be quiet, family focused, reasonably priced, and more like this area was before it grew and us non natives moved here

Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
[quote=Rizzle;20312033]I was really just wondering if if was a short "dle" or a long "dell".

As in "wendle" vs. "wendEll".

When I first read it online, I read it as wen-dell with emphasis on the dell, but then my friend from NC (not native) had said it more like wendle and I didn't know which was correct. [\QUOTE]

Yes, the point some of us have been trying to make is that the accent is on the DELL. The vowel of the unaccented first syllable may vary on personal regional accent--Southerners usually say "win" while Northerners say "wen"--but it does NOT rhyme with "Kendall". And there is no "Wh" sounds as in "when".

Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Isn't the H silent?
If I heard someone trying to emphasize the h in when, I would think that they are a bit off the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary