Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:28 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
When I moved from Pa to Az I was so excited for the sunny days. Now I want to fly to seattle for a weekend just to see rain!

I love it here, but I'm looking forward to being back in a place with "weather"

Funny thing is we get more rain than Seattle. Its just they have lots more grey misty days without much real rain and we have more tropical weather that can dump a lot of rain quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Somewhere on City Data I saw a map that gave cloud cover scores for the US. Don't know where it went. NC was significantly higher than where I was in central NY. That was good enough for me and I do suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

And it seems that compared to Florida, NC has more days of sunshine that you can actually get out in and enjoy. Wouldn't that be worth something also?

There are lots of factors that can make a person depressed, maybe the cloud cover wasn't the only thing holding that guy down. Did he try Prozac? Lots cheaper than relocating!

Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Where in NC did he live? Because honestly, I know this is going to sound crazy and I never thought I'd say this, but the days on end of bright sun can really start to wear on me. Sometimes I just long for a nice rainy day, where it rains gently all day long, where I don't feel guilty because I don't feel like spending one more second at the pool.

If your friend wants to see what gray days that never end are really like he should spend a winter in the northeast.
I'm almost certain he lived near Ashville. Talking to my wife, she says this guy needs his eyes checked.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 PM

247 posts, read 452,116 times
It does get gray here, and depending on where you're from it can be a hard adjustment. Tucson is known for sunny days (despite being rather low on that list, I always thought it was sunnier than Phoenix to be honest, but I have a low opinion of Phoenix and maybe I was cloudy while there haha) and has very few real overcast days throughout the year. We get three or four gray/cloudy/dismal days here in a row and I am low. But that seems to be the max, three or four, then great Carolina blue skies again. The cycle seems to work that way through the winter. Enough gray to remind you it isn't spring yet, but not so much that you want to give up.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 PM

459 posts, read 757,175 times
Funny that you posted this today when it is a gray cloudy day. But I for one am glad that it is -- what a relief from the past sunny HOT days!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcatfan View Post
It does get gray here, and depending on where you're from it can be a hard adjustment. Tucson is known for sunny days (despite being rather low on that list, I always thought it was sunnier than Phoenix to be honest, but I have a low opinion of Phoenix and maybe I was cloudy while there haha) and has very few real overcast days throughout the year. We get three or four gray/cloudy/dismal days here in a row and I am low. But that seems to be the max, three or four, then great Carolina blue skies again. The cycle seems to work that way through the winter. Enough gray to remind you it isn't spring yet, but not so much that you want to give up.
sounds like heaven to this boy that SICK of sunny every day!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorinCary View Post
Funny that you posted this today when it is a gray cloudy day. But I for one am glad that it is -- what a relief from the past sunny HOT days!
You mean was...! lol

Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 PM

39 posts, read 67,537 times
I've lived here for almost three years now (originally from the NE) & my biggest complaint is the weather. I personally find the summers to be brutal & would welcome more gray days to break up the monotony of sunny, humid, & bug-infested days. We do get rain, but it's a strange intense rain that comes on full force only to be pushed away just as quickly by the overbearing sun. If you're concerned about gray days, I assure you that you'll be just fine here.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 PM

222 posts, read 545,629 times
Having grown up mostly in Florida, I can tell you that the biggest difference in sun vs. clouds lies not in the quantity, but in the duration. In Florida during the summer, you can count on every afternoon to have a sudden and violent thunderstorm. I guess that means that 1/3 of the summer is cloudy, but really, it's only part of the day. Here in NC, we have tons of sunny days, but there are those days where it's grey from morning to night. That hardly ever happens in Florida where you have scattered clouds and storms. It never had occurred to me before that you could have a whole day with no sun. I don't think that it's all that bad, but it is different than Florida.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
grey here....bloomin ridiculous! You don't know what cloudy is until you've lived in Northern England
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary