Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 PM

120 posts, read 296,397 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have heard people talk about it and read about this area starting a better, faster, more advanced train system. I like the idea of a light rail in Raleigh. But I really like the idea of a 100+ mph train from Raleigh to Charlotte. I heard the goal is to get there cheap & under 2 hours....

Anyone else hear of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 AM

84 posts, read 159,099 times
The Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor would run from Charlotte to Washington DC.

Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor

According to their website, the target completion for the whole line is 2018-2022. The trip from Raleigh to Charlotte would take between 2 hrs and 2 hrs 50 mins, cost 20-22 cents to ride, and $2.6-$7.5 billion to construct.

Since it's a large federally funded project...I would add years to the schedule, billions to the construction cost, and dollars to the ridership cost. If it ever is built, that is.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
...cost 20-22 cents to ride...
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,159 times
I think that's 20-22 cents PER MILE to ride.

Right now there's already an 80 mph train between Raleigh and Charlotte and it's pretty convenient. There are a number of improvements planned and underway that will increase the speed and make it better, including straightening the track in some places, adding a second track in some places to allow for trains to pass at speed, and separating road/rail crossings by building bridges.

The big thing for me that will mark the biggest improvement, will be when they move the Charlotte station downtown, out of the rather desolate neighborhood that it's in right now. Right now that one isn't funded and there's no planned date for its construction.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 AM

278 posts, read 467,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The big thing for me that will mark the biggest improvement, will be when they move the Charlotte station downtown, out of the rather desolate neighborhood that it's in right now. Right now that one isn't funded and there's no planned date for its construction.
I agree with this. What are you supposed to do when your train arrives in that hood. Take the bus? You basically need a car in both Raleigh and Charlotte.

The drive is 2-3 hours. If you have a car, the train is useless, and the slightly faster train will also be useless. Spending billions for nothing.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,012 times
Why do I need to go to Charlotte?

Better to put the transportation funding into a local transit system that helps people become less dependent on cars for daily use.

Many of us would ride a bus to work if we could.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,725 times
High speed train from Raleigh to Charlotte and back again? Get the Front Door out of here! Good estimate $2.6 - $7.5 with a 'B' billion to construct. Other than constructions jobs and a few train track watchers aka engineers, why would the Federal Government want to spend that kind of money to build a semi hi-speed train? So called hi-seed trains in other parts of the world are approaching 300 mph. Why is ours planned to be at 1/3 of that speed? Have we aimed at only achieving 33% of what the rest of the world is achieving and calling it a rap?

I would like to see the semi-accurate estimate of $2.6 - $7.5 Billion as I hold my pink finger to the side of my mouth go to finishing up the southern leg of Rt 540 and with that grant we may not even need to add a toll to use it.

Hip-hip 540! Hip-hip 540!

So train no! I'd rather set my 'tracks' on 540!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
No matter what the speed of the train it will never sustain the speed very long due to the train will have to slow down for all the stations in between.
There should be a route that is Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh only.
Eliminate Burlington, High Point, Salisbury and Kannoplis.
So no matter how fast the train goes car is better option in this state.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,964 times
If it was cheaper, and at least the relatively same time to arrival, I would certainly opt for the train. Save the mileage, save the money, and catch some zzzzz's. For my fiancee and I, visitng charlotte means crashing at her sister's place. So ultimately, we never really need to have a car while were there cause they usually drive us around.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,967 times
I'm not sure why everyone is focusing on Raleigh to Charlotte.

I believe that this is for better high-speed access to Washington DC and points north.

Given the current environment with the TSA it's only a matter of time before trains are more convenient than being pat down for having too much shampoo in your carryon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary