Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 6,595 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the triangle in Sept. (likely NW Cary area) and I will be nearly seven months pregnant. I expect to deliver at Wake Med in Cary, so I need to find an OB/practice with privileges there. Any suggestions for physicians (male or female) currently accepting new patients? And I will probably need a c-sect again. Also, Duke Hospital is in my network, so doctors with privileges there, too, are acceptable.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM

286 posts, read 685,569 times
I've heard good things about: Cary OB/GYN, Triangle OB/GYN, and Physicians for Women. They all have privileges at Wake in Cary. Duke physicians that will actually deliver at Duke will be in Durham unless you are high risk, in which case you can go for Duke Perinatal Consultants of Cary or Duke OB/GYN Consultants of Raleigh. You would still have to deliver in Durham though and that can be a turn off for some. Good luck! You should really look at calling the 3 I mentioned to see who will accept you and make sure they accept your insurance. They are all very capable of delivering via repeat section.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 PM

100 posts, read 290,439 times
I'm due in September and go to Physicians for Women. They come highly recommended on this board as well as by many of my friends. So far I'm very pleased with them. They have a great 'bedside' manner and seem very knowledgeable. I think my one and only complaint (which is also the complaint others have stated on here) is that sometimes you wait forever. I think they are working on this though as two weeks ago I noticed a sign on the front desk that said to please notify the receptionist if you have waited more than 15 minutes past your appt time.

Also I overheard the receptionist tell someone on the phone this past week that they are accepting new patients.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 AM

51 posts, read 121,409 times
I see Dr. Tahtawi at Total Health Total Woman. She has her own practice in Cary and delivers at Wake Med Cary. I would definitely recommend her if you are looking for a smaller, more personal practice. I had one baby with her in 2008 and had a great experience, and I am currently pregnant and due in November. I can only remember having to wait one time out of all my visits, and the office staff is really great. If you like the idea of seeing just one doctor, then it might be worth giving her office a call.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 AM

286 posts, read 685,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Scarlett View Post
I see Dr. Tahtawi at Total Health Total Woman. She has her own practice in Cary and delivers at Wake Med Cary. I would definitely recommend her if you are looking for a smaller, more personal practice. I had one baby with her in 2008 and had a great experience, and I am currently pregnant and due in November. I can only remember having to wait one time out of all my visits, and the office staff is really great. If you like the idea of seeing just one doctor, then it might be worth giving her office a call.
If she's in a practice by herself, who takes her call for her when she's not available? You may end up with a stranger doing your delivery....just something to think about. I'm not knocking her at all but I always chose a practice who had several MD partners so that I could meet them all and know who was going to be there when I needed him/her.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,036,436 times
I went to triangle ob/gyn and delivered both of my babies at wake med cary, it was fantastic! At triangle they have a group of docs on staff (I used Dr. V) and they also have midwives if that is something you are interested in.

Their office is across the street from wake med cary so it was very convenient.

Leigh

Old 08-13-2011, 08:39 PM

31 posts, read 84,977 times
My wife went to Dr. Gerald Welch. His office is right next to Wake Med Cary, and he's the best doctor I've seen, OB or otherwise. My wife had to deal with a few complications due to her age (39), and she is a worrier. Dr. Welch is very knowledgable, and did a great job of explaining every detail, and making sure we didn't worry if there was no call for worry.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,911 times
triangle OB

Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM

113 posts, read 727,784 times
I've been to Physicians for Women, Dr. Tahtawi (Total Health Total Woman), Triangle OBGYN and Dr. Welch and hands down, Dr. Welch was the best. I had a c-section too and he was top notch.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:06 PM

26 posts, read 62,689 times
I delivered my son with Physicians for Women last November and they are OK. Here is what I experienced:

- LONG wait times, sometimes over 30 minutes in the waiting room and then another 30-45 minutes in the room waiting for the doctor. When you have to go every couple weeks and wait that long it gets old really fast. My husband was livid by the end of some appointments, making our long-awaited time with the doctor kind of awkward.

- Rude staff and some great staff. One nurse on their staff repeatedly disappointed. When I was about 5 months along she "diagnosed" me with jaundice, which it turns out was not true. Later in the pregnancy she told me--and I can understand if you don't believe this, as it is that freakin ridiculous--anyway, she seriously told me that I was fat and that she could say that because she was fat herself (I was in my 8th month of pregnancy, after putting on a fairly normal 35 lbs with a pre-pregnancy weight of 120 lb--while I agree that she was overweight, she was not, in fact, pregnant). She thought she was being funny, although I'm not sure how telling a swollen, achy pregnant women 8 months along that she is fat could possibly be considered funny. I wish I could say that I gave her a piece of my mind, but in fact I was shocked speechless.

- Most of the staff was reasonably nice and professional, besides the one woman, although I was very frustrated early on that they seemed to assume that I'd "know the drill"--not sure how, as they knew it was my first pregnancy. It wasn't until my third visit that someone explained that I would need to pee in a cup at every visit and seemed annoyed that they needed to tell me.

- Now, as to the most important part--the doctors. Well, they are both super nice and seem very competent. Seidel is the more easy-going sort, but it is a matter of personal preference whether that is for you. I won't be returning to Physicians for Women because this style of practice, which works great for many women, just isn't for me. I wanted to delivery naturally, if possible, and made this clear from day one. While both doctors seemed supportive at first, in the 7th or 8th month of my pregnancy Dr. Shesadri suddenly became very condescending and made it clear that he didn't think I'd be able to and couldn't understand why I'd want to. He should have made his views on natural childbirth clear from the beginning. After he started voicing these opinions, I wanted to switch practices. My husband did not want to switch because four of our nephews were delivered with this practice (2 c-sections, two vaginal with pressure to induce--all epidural). We compromised and hired a doula. Thank God. When we interviewed the doula and asked her about her experience working with this practice she expressed our exact concerns--it isn't a particularly natural-childbirth-friendly practice but Shesadri in particular had been very c-section/induction happy in her experience. When I went into labor of course Shesadri was on call. The delivery nurse at the hospital also expressed concern that he wouldn't support the natural birth, so the nurse and doula did all they could to help me progress in my labor without his intervention. I was able to have the birth that I desired, but I could certainly do without the anxiety resulting from a doctor that clearly didn't agree with my birth preferences.

With that said, my two sister-in-laws that recommended this practice could not be happier. It is a matter of preference. Some people don't mind and even prefer induction and c-sections. That is fine. If so, this practice might be good for you. If you are looking to go the natural route, I'd recommend hiring a doula and getting their recommendations on doctors that are supportive of natural birth. I was so sick of Physicians for Women that I did my 6 week followup appointment at Dr. Tahtawi instead of Physicians for Women. I've only been that one time but Tahtawi's office is really nice and relaxing (feels like a spa, not a doctor's office) and the staff was incredibly friendly and professional (I'd give the staff five stars vs two or three at Physicians for Women). I also like Tahtawi, but it was just a checkup and I also like Seidel and Shesadri for the most part, when it just came to the checkups. I haven't delivered with her yet, but would be interested in hearing what others have experienced with Total Health, Total Woman.

Also, FYI--Dr. Welch and Physicians for Women have some sort of partnership now where Welch is a backup for PfW and vice versa. We received a letter about halfway through our pregnancy letting us know that Welch could be our delivering doctor.

Last edited by Daisy283; 09-13-2011 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: added spacing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary