Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:43 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times

Advertisements

could this be a difference of customary speech patterns from different societies? I know that where I work I was astonished at the number of asians who would come in and walk directly to the worker-only areas. When I remind them to please do not go behind the counter, they would just move to where I instructed them. One particular day, I spoke to a a business owner in our building and she explained that is the custom in their part of the world ( to have free movement inside a business). She said while it looks presumptive to us, it is normal for their culture. Which she kinda though odd because many asians feel they cannot speak to someone without a 'proper' introduction... some students ( who I have the most interacton with) are embarassed to ask for directions.... even as they move freely through our place of business.

I mention my experience because DMV (as well as most other government offices) speak in brisk, business tones. While this is a little robotic to us (us meaning natives and long term residents) it can seem condecending and rude to cultures who do not have the same customs as us. What you consiter yelling may be more of a plain, instructional voice, that was on the loud side to help with enunciation to help with communicate with a non-native speaker.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 37,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
could this be a difference of customary speech patterns from different societies? I know that where I work I was astonished at the number of asians who would come in and walk directly to the worker-only areas. When I remind them to please do not go behind the counter, they would just move to where I instructed them. One particular day, I spoke to a a business owner in our building and she explained that is the custom in their part of the world ( to have free movement inside a business). She said while it looks presumptive to us, it is normal for their culture. Which she kinda though odd because many asians feel they cannot speak to someone without a 'proper' introduction... some students ( who I have the most interacton with) are embarassed to ask for directions.... even as they move freely through our place of business.

I mention my experience because DMV (as well as most other government offices) speak in brisk, business tones. While this is a little robotic to us (us meaning natives and long term residents) it can seem condecending and rude to cultures who do not have the same customs as us. What you consiter yelling may be more of a plain, instructional voice, that was on the loud side to help with enunciation to help with communicate with a non-native speaker.
I get what you meant, but I guess that's not the case. My friend who came there with me is American - he was born and grew up in NC, but he was also upset and thought the examiner at the DMV was rude.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Absolutely, positively, get professional driving lessons. The instructor will give you honest feedback. Take at least 6 to 8 lessons. It is the best investment you can make.

When the instructor says you're ready to take the test, then take it.

Don't ever say anything to the DMV examiners except "Yes, sir" or "Yes, ma'am." (In other words, don't argue with anything they say.)

I can't imagine you not passing.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Absolutely, positively, get professional driving lessons. The instructor will give you honest feedback. Take at least 6 to 8 lessons. It is the best investment you can make.

Don't ever say anything to the DMV examiners except "Yes, sir" or "Yes, ma'am." (In other words, don't argue with anything they say.)

Great advice, I was thinking along the same lines. And, I am sorry if they were rude to you. Do try to go to a DMV office which is less busy.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:13 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Great advice, I was thinking along the same lines. And, I am sorry if they were rude to you. Do try to go to a DMV office which is less busy.
I went to the office on Wake Forest Rd/Spring Forest(?) the last time I renewed my license and they weren't that busy.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:45 PM

29 posts, read 81,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Totally agreed, great advice! And from a citizen's perspective, I think tough driving test is necessary to ensure safety on the road. As a Chinese American, in my experience, the driving style in China and here are totally different. I wanted to yell at every driver I encountered over there because they scared heck out of me.

Also, I suggest, no matter how rude they are, you yourself may want to be polite, content and concentrate, ones attitude affects others around.

Sorry about your feelings got hurt, I was in your shoes once before, when getting my driver's license 12 years ago. The DMV lady yelled at me that I should not drive if I don't understand English because I missed one of her directions. At that time, I was lecturing in a college in Wake county, teaching in English, heeheehee... Amazingly, she passed me, yelled at me but passed me when I was sure I'd got failed because I made mistakes in my driving test. My thought was she did not want to see me again, so she gave me a pass, hahah.

I guess DMV may not be a pleasant place to work at, so they have to release themselves in some way to get emotional balanced, laughing at people's accent (or race) maybe the only way they know.

There are lots of Asian ladies' driving jokes around, so when we look Asian and have accent, it's normal to be assumed this and that, I didn't say it is right, but it's common.

Practice practice practice and good luck!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:28 PM

371 posts, read 1,219,035 times
My personal experience with Cary DMV and Avent Ferry DMV is positive. I even had to interact with people in the Emissions department couple of times and they were really friendly and thoroughly professional. Their courteousness really surprised me given the bad rep govt. employees get these days.

As far the DL is concerned, I strongly believe it should be strict and there should be no room for error as we already are feeling the effect of bad drivers on the road. I agree with the philosophy of DMV examiners for not being talkative as otherwise would weaken(or soften) their scoring/awarding the DL. Let me tell you this - getting license in NC is wayyyyy easy compared to NJ or CA where you need to go through so many other things (like parallel parking etc).

Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I had to parallel park to get my license here years ago... 1984.

They should still require it.

I think the situation here was part cultural confusion and part snippy DMV employee.

I've been going to the Cary office for years and have never had any trouble. Ditto my ex and his family. They're Taiwanese.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

I'd never get a license if that were the case.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 PM

205 posts, read 487,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Me too! And DITTO!!!

I know someone who went to another town to get his license because the testers there apparently have a lower standard and he had already failed several times in Raleigh. He managed to acquire his license, and lost it three accidents later. btw, he has it back now. All drivers BEWARE!

I think parallel parking should totally be required .... and should be re-tested every 10 years or so. Perhaps the roads would be safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary