Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 14,540 times

Advertisements

Anything fun going on in Raleigh this week? I know some folks are still without power, hope that comes back on soon. I'm coming down with a friend to scope it out for a future possible move for a job.

We're late 20s early 30s women and want to get a feel for the trendy, single parts of town in our age bracket. I have searched the boards a LOT for ideas and we'll hit up Glenwood South area, in addition to doing a few more "touristy" things (Duke gardens, etc.)

I know a visit during the week won't be the same as a weekend, but that's okay.

Any recommendations for us? We'd like to make the most of the 2 full days we'll be down. We're staying at the Clarion on Hillsborough and will have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 PM

650 posts, read 930,122 times
If you like the Duke gardens you will like this also. A lot closer to you:

JC Raulston Arboretum - Home Page

Old 08-28-2011, 03:24 PM

650 posts, read 930,122 times
The most happening outdoor sidewalk mall for your age is North Hills Mall.

Lunch and dinner.

North Hills Raleigh - Shopping, Dining, Movies and Events

Old 08-28-2011, 04:06 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
I don't want to rain on your parade at all, but there have been reports of bed bugs at the Clarion. If you google "bed bugs Clarion Raleigh NC" you will find some reports. I only know because I thought about using them as the hotel for my wedding guests. Just make sure you pull back the sheets and check the corners of the mattress before you do anything! Bed bugs are not something you want to remember Raleigh by!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Might be fun to head out to the farmer's market, walk around, get some samplings of NC finest fruits and veggies and then have lunch at the farmer's market restaurant!!!

North Hills is a great place to walk around and grab a bite of dinner.

Simply driving around, parking at Duke Gardens and at least seeing the campus, and Duke Chapel is very cool.

I am also partial to Chapel Hill, and doing the touristy thing of going to the Old Well for the typical picture!

Leigh

Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I have seen this sort of post previously…coming to visit on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and looking for something to do. I don't know why anyone single and looking for something to do for three days would go to a city on the 3 quietest days of the week in most every city.
These three days are not going to give anyone a real indication of what the social scene is like. That said, some places (more than others) might be more reliable as 7 day a week places to try. Dance places will either be closed or dead. Though low key early in the week, try RedRoom, Hibernian, Tobacco Road, Rockford for low key "locals" evenings. The roof of Solas is nice on weeknights for conversation, cocktails and appetizers.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Not much event wise going on during the week, but here are a few ideas in case you are looking for some stuff to do?

Grab some Coffee at Cafe Helios on Glenwood or Morning Times on Hargett and people watch. Have lunch or dinner on the sidewalk outside Raleigh Times. Like Beer? - Make a Stop at the Flying Saucer. Like Chocolate? - Visit Escazu on Blount Street. On Wednesday there is a Farmer's Market set up in City Plaza at the bottom of Fayettville Street.

Want to shop? Visit North Hills Mall or Cameron Village. Bored and want to see a movie, visit the small theater in Five Points Called The Rialto (It doesn't look like much on the outside but is cool insider and serves beer and wine). While you are over the stop by Lily's for slice of pizza.

If you have time drive over to Durham and catch a Durham Bulls Game on Monday or Tuesday Night While they are in town. You can grab something to eat and have a drink beforehand at Tylers Tap Room next door at the American Tobacco Campus.

If you are over in Durham on Wednesday evening stop by the Fullsteam Brewery around 6-7pm. There should be a couple of gourmet food trucks out front and a local run club meets there that night for an evening run so there should be a nice group of people.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Bored and want to see a movie, visit the small theater in Five Points Called The Rialto (It doesn't look like much on the outside but is cool insider and serves beer and wine).
I agree with most of N_R_G's post, but I would never call The Rialto a "small" theater. It seats over 400 and is larger than most of the screens of the multiplexes around.

A real gem of the city (I guess that means it'll be scheduled to be torn down, soon).

Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I agree with most of N_R_G's post, but I would never call The Rialto a "small" theater. It seats over 400 and is larger than most of the screens of the multiplexes around.

A real gem of the city (I guess that means it'll be scheduled to be torn down, soon).
Good point. I guess by "small" I mean it only has one screen vs. a dozen or so at the new movie theaters.

It is a real gem of the area and a must see IMO.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
If you like beer: Raleigh Beer Week | August 28th, 2011 - September 3rd, 2011

The website is kinda crappy, but you can do a search for any of the places listed in the schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary