Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,422 times

Advertisements

The restaurant is Southern style - fried stuff, southern vegetables. it's hardly healthy. We've been once with friends visiting from out of town, mostly for the "experience."

A good place that serves up a lot of "local" meat and produce is the Tribeca Tavern. There's one in Cary (High House) and another in Raleigh (Falls of Neuse, I believe).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
mmmm I love Tribeca Tavern though I can rarely justify to spend that much on a burger.

This is a good resource for finding "farm to fork" restaurants: Slow Food Triangle

Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 PM

257 posts, read 713,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
This is a good resource for finding "farm to fork" restaurants: Slow Food Triangle
One of the first articles on that page is for a Pittsboro Pepper Festival. As a lover of spicy foods, this greatly excited me. Then I clicked the link and discovered it was mainly a bell pepper festival.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
There is a reason there are two large pig statues guarding the entrance to that restaurant. Yes, there is fresh meat for sale at the Farmer's market, and yes, it comes from farms.

My kids won't ever eat at that restaurant, the pigs follow them with their eyes and creep them out! We like the seafood anyway, even if it is like getting food from a roadside rest area.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaaa View Post
I suppose I was under the impression that the food came from the market.
I had the same hope. I was completely disappointed.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM

229 posts, read 703,963 times
It is without a doubt the worst restaurant I have ever dined in, by a LARGE margin. A farmers market restaurant should not be serving margarine, corn syrup based syrup instead of maple syrup, and fruit preserves instead of fresh fruit. It's a Denny's with another name, and surprisingly even worse food.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
I agree with the prior comments about the restaurant. It's a disappointment that the vegetables don't seem fresh at all. I ordered a side of sliced tomatoes and they were gross supermarket tomatoes, not lovely fresh ones that I was hoping for. However, I thought the barbecue chicken was very good, a spicy yet sweet sauce. Otherwise there are far better restaurants around but if you are at the market and hungry, it's an option as long as you go in with relatively low expectations.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Otherwise there are far better restaurants around but if you are at the market and hungry, it's an option as long as you go in with relatively low expectations.
If I'm hungry at the market, I just go over to the fish house. Much better food, even if it's just fried fish and hushpuppies.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
If I'm hungry at the market, I just go over to the fish house. Much better food, even if it's just fried fish and hushpuppies.
ITA!!! love the fish! I once briefly considered the restaurant as a place to take my parents for brunch to make a trip to the Market more of an Outing. Would have been nice, but...

I wonder when the current management's lease is up? It really would be a great location for a whole foods kinda place. Like the Moosewood Restaurant!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM

I wonder if there's someone to contact over at the Department of Agriculture to suggest that the restaurant oh I don't know, serve food made from market goods? I've tried contacting the owner of the restaurant (same owner as Gypsy's Shiny Diner) and they couldn't care less. I guess I can't blame them when the restaurant is slammed almost every weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary