Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an interesting link:
Where are the Jobs? | Indeed.com

Indeed.com
has created a map of the 50 most populous cities showing, through the size of red dots, the number of jobs it has -- or at least the ones listed on Indeed.com. Indeed.com consolidates the results of a number of job websites, so it should be a pretty good indication of what's what.

The red dots also link to the listed jobs.

I think it's curious that San Jose, California, apparently has more jobs than anywhere in the country. Hmm. I thought RTP was a hotbed of IT activity (at one time). Hmm. Why are there jobs there and not here?

Raleigh, by the way, is within the top 50 most populated cities in the U.S. per this link: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Can someone please call San Jose companies and tell them to move here?

Too bad NC politics are so contentious. Any modern company's overall decision to move here will certainly be affected by this week's anti-GLBT bill if it is passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Too bad NC politics are so contentious. Any modern company's overall decision to move here will certainly be affected by this week's anti-GLBT bill if it is passed.
totally agree.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM

334 posts, read 867,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
totally agree.

Nonsense we're the only state in the region that has not done this.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,940 times
Right, and where are the other states in the region as far as job growth and economic development?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:27 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Nonsense we're the only state in the region that has not done this.
You know, I am always amused by comments like this one.

NC doesn't have anti-LGBT legislation, unlike other Southern states.

We also have the best public university system in the southeast. The best research park infrastructure, in RTP. A leading mid-mile state broadband/fiber optic infrastructure, in MCNC. And lots of other policy choices and investments.

Why do you think people put smart-economy jobs here, and not Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama? Why do you think Florida's economy is low-wage, service-sector jobs for retirees and tourists and we have huge sites for Cisco, IBM, EMC, and the US HQ for GlaxoSmithKline?

Why do you think folks like my wife and I, when we were ready to leave Boston, only considered the Triangle, Atlanta, Austin, DC, and California? We wouldn't have moved anywhere else, and with our careers, we couldn't.

And it's that in-migration of people with degrees, professional careers and capital that are why NC looks more like America's wealthier states and less like, well, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.

So, yes -- please, why don't we avoid doing some of the stupid stuff our neighbors are doing, eh?

(By the way, lest I be called a Yankee carpetbagger -- I'm from a family that's lived in the South since the 1700s, whose direct ancestor signed the Tryon Resolves, and whose family's owned land in this state for most of the past 200 years.)

Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
It's about to change.

Some NCers want to change the law so that GLBT people can't even have civil unions. That runs counter to how high-tech, modern companies want to treat their employees. NC politicians are debating it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post

We also have the best public university system in the southeast. The best research park infrastructure, in RTP. A leading mid-mile state broadband/fiber optic infrastructure, in MCNC. And lots of other policy choices and investments.

Why do you think people put smart-economy jobs here, and not Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama? Why do you think Florida's economy is low-wage, service-sector jobs for retirees and tourists and we have huge sites for Cisco, IBM, EMC, and the US HQ for GlaxoSmithKline?

Why do you think folks like my wife and I, when we were ready to leave Boston, only considered the Triangle, Atlanta, Austin, DC, and California? We wouldn't have moved anywhere else, and with our careers, we couldn't.

And it's that in-migration of people with degrees, professional careers and capital that are why NC looks more like America's wealthier states and less like, well, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.

So, yes -- please, why don't we avoid doing some of the stupid stuff our neighbors are doing, eh?

(By the way, lest I be called a Yankee carpetbagger -- I'm from a family that's lived in the South since the 1700s, whose direct ancestor signed the Tryon Resolves, and whose family's owned land in this state for most of the past 200 years.)

Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,885 times
Quote:

Some NCers want to change the law so that GLBT people can't even have civil unions. That runs counter to how high-tech, modern companies want to treat their employees.
And counter to how we would want ourselves, our family, our friends and our neighbors treated.

Good grief.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post

Actually we have plenty, including a statutory definition of marriage being man + woman. We just don't have a (redundant to that law) constitutional amendment about it, which would not only redundantly state the same definition as the above, but also invalidate any domestic contract between anyone other than married man + woman. Not yet, anyway.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 PM

521 posts, read 1,599,139 times
Quote:
Some NCers want to change the law so that GLBT people can't even have civil unions.
Lest anyone read the above and be confused, NC does not currently recognize same-sex civil unions.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Nine posts in, and we're already off-topic .....

Let's please keep this thread for the job discussion. I know that same-sex marriages/civil unions are a part of the "social climate" that can affect jobs, but that discussion is already too broad for this thread. Feel free to address those issues in a new thread, though.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary