Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 AM

20 posts, read 59,317 times

Advertisements

I've read so many posts on this site, and I'm growing weary because I can't find an answer.

My husband and I will be moving up to the Durham area in December for me to begin graduate school at Duke. We are currently in Durham and have been going mad trying to find a nice apartment or rental home/twnhm. We have the apartment guide books, the online websites, and apartmentratings.com to help us. Only we seem to be getting nowhere.

It's difficult to find something that compares to our nature-surrounded aptmt in Birmingham, AL, where the only bad part is the loud children in the complex. Otherwise such lovely large dogwoods, cherry trees, pines, and under 150 units on the site. So peaceful. Is that even possible to find in this area of NC? It seems as though all of the nice, old trees bordering apartments close to the Duke campus are in what has been described to me as a higher-crime area of Durham.

Anyone have suggestions?

Our biggest hopes are for a 2bdrm rental with a master bedroom no smaller than 13' x 15' , outside views that are not parking lots-parking lots-parking lots, ample sq. ft (at least 1000s.ft.), and a balcony/backyard area.

I just can't understand the cookie-cutter apartments that have bulldozed all of the nice trees. Can anyone help? I don't want to have an awful drive to Duke, but I'm willing to compromise if we could find something we like in Hillsborough, Cary, etc.

Thanks a ton to all of you!
Gabriella
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 10:21 AM

P.S. My husband & I are in town until mid-day Tuesday. If anyone knows of places we can investigate I would be so grateful.
Gabriella

Old 08-19-2007, 05:01 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,279 times
There are a lot of apartments and rentals around. Those national guides primarily list the ones that pay to be listed.

Check this out:
Trading Post (http://tradingpost.dukenews.duke.edu/category.cgi/11/rentalhousing - broken link)

Also look in the Durham Herald-Sun classifieds: heraldsun.com: classifieds (http://www.herald-sun.com/classifieds/ads.cfm?mid=2000&m=Rentals - broken link)

and the N&O classfieds: Triangle.com | Classified (http://classads.triangle.com/index.php?a=5&b=76 - broken link)
(That last one will give you a wide area.)

There is still time to get a Sunday paper, if you head over to a Visart Newstand.

What is your price range? It seems like the apartments are priced pretty accurately, so I wouldn't look for something under $800/month if you want something in good shape.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:34 PM

36 posts, read 144,494 times
Default Rental home

There's a home for rent in the Breckenridge Subdivision on Willingham Rd. in Morrisville. There's a pool in the neighborhood and tennis courts. The drive to Durham is really very quick. Not sure how much it's renting for, but I would imagine it's pretty reasonable. I think that Century 21 has it listed.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:34 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
Try Pinnacle Ridge on University Drive. Virtually everyone is a Duke grad student. Nice wooded property.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:38 PM

Wonderful! Thanks to all of you for the tips thus far.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:30 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Look in apartmentratings.com. Sort rating column to see highest at top.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM

136 posts, read 589,773 times
I am familiar with Willowbrook Apartments sort of pricey but have washer and dryer included and nice floorplans. This complex is wooded with bbq pit areas, and a volleyball court maybe tennis neighborhood is nice. It is close to shopping. Another place is The Evergreens at Mt. Moriah. These apartments are pricy but offer a nice floorplan. The community is not wooded but it has a nice pool and business center. It is also close to shopping and the neighborhood is nice. There are plenty of apartments that are close to the new shopping mall off of Fayetteville Rd. They are pricey and off of a busy road. I hope that this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary