Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,355 times

Advertisements

Hi! I need help figuring out what neighborhoods are safe, family friendly, in a good school district w/ lower priced homes (approx 130-140K). I've been looking in the Wake Forest, Rollsville, NE Raleigh (27616), Creedmoor, Kittrell, Stem. My husband will be working in Henderson, so if anyone knows of great places closer to there that would be great. I am actually making a spread sheet and driving myself completely crazy!!! I just need to get first hand info and forget about all of the stats and such.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 03:59 PM

924 posts, read 2,104,184 times
Unfortunately, I don't have kids, so I haven't studied the school systems in the area and don't know much about them. Hopefully someone else on here can help fill you in on that. I can tell you that Henderson is generally a fairly bland, run-down, working-class town, so it's not conventionally desirable, but there are some reasonably nice places to live there. The towns closer to Raleigh get progressively more suburban, more expensive, and more affluent. So, it may depend in part on the kind of setting you guys want to live in. Kittrell and Stem are very, very small towns, and feel very, very rural, for better and worse. Wake Forest is mostly suburban. Creedmoor and Rolesville are intermediate. If I were you, another town I would definitely look at would be Franklinton, which is the furthest northeast town from Raleigh that has become somewhat suburbanized, which means it's also the closest to Henderson. It might be a nice balance between rural and suburban. It's not too terribly expensive, and it's about 15 or 20 miles from Henderson.

Best of luck!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 AM

53 posts, read 95,661 times
We just moved to the area last month and we ended up moving to Knightdale. It has lots of conveniences nearby, but is a little less "city" than Raleigh.

I drove myself nuts with the stats too, for each house I'd find, I'd look at the area on google maps, then check out the school rating on greatschools.org and so on. If you look on greatschools.org at the Knightdale area, they are decent.

GreatSchools.org Search: Knightdale

My son (in kindergarten) goes to a school rated a 6 and we've been happy with it so far.

The neighborhood we moved to is a subdivision and there are kids nearby and the neighbors have all been very nice and welcoming.

Knightdale is clean as far as we've seen while driving around and it takes us about 30 minutes to get to my mother in law's house in N. Raleigh.

It's about an hour to Henderson on google maps though, so it may be too far a commute.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
My son just bought a home in Knightdale and likes it.

We love our apt in north Raleigh.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 PM

924 posts, read 2,104,184 times
Are you guys really suggesting Knightdale as a preferred location destination for someone whose husband will be working Henderson? Seriously? Yes, the commute between the two is doable, but why would a person choose to do that if there are other options? And there certainly are other options. Again, I wold recommend looking in Franklinton. It's much, much more convenient to Henderson, and there are definitely decent houses there for $130-$140K. Older, smaller houses, but still decent places to live.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
If it were me, and I had to drive to henderson, I would live in youngsville. It is close enough to wake forest so that you can get to all of the stores you need, but is far enough away for some reasonable housing!!!

Leigh

Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
I would suggest Rolesville. Just outside of all the action of Wake Forest and Raleigh but very convienient to both also 401 is a lot less traveled than U.S. 1 going North so it's a nice alternative. Especially once you figure out the back roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary