Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 07:30 AM

45 posts, read 110,896 times

Advertisements

Update to my last post - we thought my husband might work in Asheboro, that isn't the case anymore.

But we've done so much research that we are still thinking this would be a nice place to relocate to. We are also considering the Nashville area and perhaps a couple of others.

I've had some issues with finding solid info on schools that do well with a child like mine. I am hoping for some guidance.

LOCATION: We are looking in the Charlotte or the Raleigh area (or other areas in TN / AR). Open to both. Which would be best based on our needs (below). We are booking a flight to NC in Aug to drive around and get a feel for the towns. We prefer suburbs to city.

AUTISM/SERVICES: We've heard various things about NC and autism services, I really need more info on that. My understanding is that employers of 51+ people are to have health insurance that covers ABA and other autism services. Is this correct?

SCHOOLS/PROGRAMS - are there many schools in either of these areas that serve autistic kids? He is very high functioning. The issue we have is he's 4 and reads on a 4th-grade level, does 1st/2nd-grade math and is well past the K stage. Do any schools mix ages? We are open to independent schools as well.

WORK/COMMUTE: Husband is in manufacturing, currently is a Maintenace Manager for a food company here in Boston. What is the job market like in either of these places? I've done some searches and seen there are positions open and manufacturing seems to be doing well but I'd like any info you all can provide on what you see. He is open to up to an hour drive to work.

HOUSE: Larger house, 3+ beds, large yard, garage/workshop area, not houses on top of each other. Then there are the typical things - safe neighborhood, parks/playgrounds, shopping within a reasonable distance. Budget is $300k

I know that's a lot so thanks for getting this far! Any info is very much appreciated!

Last edited by tracyalexa; 08-02-2018 at 07:48 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Hi! The schools will have to provide services if he has an IEP in place but some will probably do a better job than others. I would focus on wake county or chapel hill-carrboro school districts, probably wake co with your budget. What are your housing requirements and what’s a reasonable commute? Where would your husband be working? We can give more advice once we know that.

We have friends with autistic children who have done really well in wake co schools once they got the IEP in place. Unfortunately that’s a crazy process from what I gather. Some charters have combined age classes but I’m not aware of any year round or traditional schools that do. That said our school is good about working with each child on the level they’re on. My child is in 3rd and doing 6th grade math. They just give him different assignments for it. On the flip side a friendly chicks is in 3rd and reading at a 2nd grade level and they accommodate that.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 AM

Thanks!

We don't currently have an IEP because he hasn't gone to school yet. I'd have to work with an agency there to get one in place once we are settled.

Housing: 3+ beds, 2+ baths, large garage/workshop, we'd love a pool or a community with one. More modern & open.

Commute: Up to an hour. No clue where he will work, manufacturing plants are where he's always worked. He's skilled in electrical and maintenance. He's got management experience as well. We have enough saved to get by for a year or so while he's searching.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:19 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Get all your records together showing the autism diagnosis, the school system (at least Wake County) will do their own testing as well. My son is very functioning as well, we've had an IEP since before the diagnosis. It was not that terrible of a process to get the IEP, a lot easier than in NY where his teachers were all "he's fine!" and just passed him off to the next grade.

They do not technically mix grades here in Wake County unless he qualifies for SSA (single subject acceleration) which again he will have to test into. Those kids actually go the class the next grade level ahead instead of being given work that is advanced. Down side to this is if he's going to the next grade level for math, and that's during his grade level's recess, he misses recess. But my guess is kids like this don't care about that so much!

Old 08-02-2018, 08:22 AM

Thanks for that. We have his records together. I am wondering if we can get a plan together with his BCBA now while I am still here rather than when I get there. Would they honor that or would we need to have it done there as well?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:56 AM

1,228 posts, read 798,191 times
autismsociety-nc.org is a solid resource. It is the statewide organization, and is based in Raleigh.

Much of the industrial manufacturing base is outside of Raleigh proper, and is strong in pharma, biotech, and agribusiness. If you live in the suburbs in Wake county, you will benefit from the public schools, great activities for families, and all around good QoL. Your husband’s commute would likely be an easier “reverse commute” against main traffic. You’d want to target where you live on the same “side” of the metro facing the direction of work.

Apex would place you directed towards the manufacturing base southwest down US 1 in Sanford. Garner would aim you down I-40 and US 70 southeast towards manufacturing bases near I-95, or those nearby in Garner and Southeast Raleigh. Knightdale and Wendell similarly near Raleigh, but aim out US 64 to Zebulon and further east. Wake Forest and Rolesville position you along the US 1 and 401 corridors northeast to manufacturing centers in Franklinton, Louisburg, and Henderson.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:05 AM

Thank you for all the info!

Old 08-03-2018, 05:25 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
In our experience wake county did not honor our pre-existing IEP from preschool and did their own assessment. In the assessment our son no longer qualified (speech therapy) despite having 3 years of records showing it, a letter from the therapist and his doctor. He missed the score by one point on their assessment. In all fairness though he really was borderline by that point from the $120 copays a week for 3 years we had spent on speech therapy.

Now with autism I don’t think you’d run into as many obstacles but I wouldn’t bother working on one ahead of time. Just do it when you get here and if you need to involve an attorney you can.

As for neighborhoods there are tons of younger families in most suburbs. I’m in North Raleigh so can’t speak much for the southern ones but here Bedford and Falls River have everything you’re looking for and good schools to boot. There are countless private pools you can join if you don’t wind up in a HOA that has one too.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:34 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
Bedford might be tight at a $300K budget and would definitely have close houses. Maybe look into Wake Forest for more space.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:41 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
WCPSS is always going to want to do their own assessment. I would not be nervous about that, it seems to be just a formality. You'd have to get here and register for school to have it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary