Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 AM

12 posts, read 23,603 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to NC from MA. Looking in the Cary area, however, want at least an acre of property. Will have two kids by the time we move. Both of us are young professionals. Will be working in Raleigh area. We are looking for recommendations on areas to search for houses that have good, safe neighborhoods, good school district, low crime, and less than 30 minute commute. Also, access to good daycares. Appreciate feedback! We will be flying out to look at areas soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 10:18 AM

24 posts, read 119,748 times
We're coming down from CT and are looking for the same thing - a larger lot for a 3000-4000 sq ft house. From what I've learned here on the boards from some helpful members, the way to get larger lots is through a local or "custom" builder. Good schools and low crime rate are high on the list, since we have 2 kids.

The problem is that these smaller builders don't have detailed websites with floor plans and community info. If anyone has some contact info/websites/etc. for some local builders in the Raleigh area - Apex, Fuquay-Varina, Cary, Wake Forest - I'd really appreciate it!

Old 01-25-2007, 10:21 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
I'm sure you will get some good feedback on this, but you may want to do a search on this forum becasue I seem to recall a similar post a few weeks ago. I don't live in Cary, but I think finding an Acre in Cary might be a challenge. Especially if you are considering only newer constrcution. You might have better luck in Wake Forest. Where you are commuting to will probably be the biggest factor in determining areas that will work for you.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:06 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,565,190 times
We're coming down from CT

Where are you from in CT? I relocated from South Windsor, and have several clients now from CT. When I first moved here I thought I would never see another northerner.....was I wrong :-)

Old 01-25-2007, 02:26 PM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Where are you from in CT? I relocated from South Windsor, and have several clients now from CT. When I first moved here I thought I would never see another northerner.....was I wrong :-)
We're in Suffield, right up the road from S. Windsor! We shop down in S. Windsor/Manchester all the time with all the new malls & stores built in the last year. Are you a realtor/builder?

Edit - OK, you're a realtor.....just checked your profile after I typed the original message.

Last edited by Yingxiong; 01-25-2007 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Follow up

Old 01-25-2007, 02:56 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,565,190 times
What is your price range. I do know a great custom builder, but not sure if you'll find a community in the area your looking in that you can bring in your own builder. Nine out of ten times they want you to choose one of theirs. Some of the custom builders in the communities are good, and you can always check the N.C. License Board for General Contractors for complaints. I have the phone number if you like. Is your whole family in the CT area? Mine is and it took me two years to get over my crying, even though I visit about 4 times a year. Buckland Mall area has come a long way. I can remember getting a speeding ticket on that road when it was all tobacco barns and woods. You really don't recognize it now. Welcome to the area, and if I can help you with anything else just pm me.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,048 times
Are you all moving from the Northeast for job reasons or to get away from the cold weather? I live in FL and have a sister in NC, but am from NH. I want to get the heck outta FL,but not sure if I should go back to NH or NC? It's been 18 yrs since I've lived in snow, but miss the small towns! Good luck in your upcoming moves.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucca View Post
Are you all moving from the Northeast for job reasons or to get away from the cold weather? I live in FL and have a sister in NC, but am from NH. I want to get the heck outta FL,but not sure if I should go back to NH or NC? It's been 18 yrs since I've lived in snow, but miss the small towns! Good luck in your upcoming moves.
A few of my personal reasons, in no specific order -

* Cost of living (especially property taxes!!!) and overall quality of life (more house for the money, more laid back way of life)
* Extremely cold winters/heavy snow (it was 0 degrees on my way to work this morning)
* Nasty northern attitudes ("Yankee Pumpkin Town" mentality)

As far as jobs, I'm not finding that much in my field down there in NC, so that hunt might be harder than finding a builder!! I should note that I'm not from CT originally. I've only been here for 6 years, and have hated every single minute of it. I'm from Baltimore/Harford County, Maryland.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,076 times
On a personal note, I made the relocation from Fairfield, CT to Raleigh about 3 years ago. It was the best move I ever made! So, I can fill you in on all of the "good & bad." On a professional note, I also work for one of the leading residential developers in North Carolina, so I can give you insight on some of our communities and new construction throughout the area. Either way, I hope to hear from you - best of luck!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:41 PM

73 posts, read 397,479 times
hey

we're in the same boat as you almost

check out this thread where people have been very helpful to us:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...rt-family.html

its a leap of faith, but we can't live life waiting for it to begin...

theres no hope up here in MA for housing and im 31 almost 32 and need to start a family with my wife who's 28..so we would be minus her income, looks like carolina is the place to be, plus i grew up in annapolis and new englanders are too cold and crass for me

all i need now is to land a miracle job. we're taking our trip in late march. keep in touch and let us know how it goes, as we will you too!!

erik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary