Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
I suggest getting yourself a bigger dog.
LOL...not sure that would work. My little dog makes quite a stand againest the neighbors MUCH larger dog.

I admit, some folks are nut cases...yes, you have to be careful when dealing with neighbors...but when did it become the norm to not speak to neighbors first rather then call the cops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 10:26 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
Hmm. I still stand my my earlier "face-to-face first" suggestion, but assuming they really don't care (which is so foreign to me, as we are obsessive about cleaning up after our dog), here are a couple more suggestions.

1) Do you have an HOA? You could talk to them, especially since it sounds like communal areas are getting fouled too. Our HOA freely admits that arbitrating pet disputes is half of what they do .

2) There are a number of poop removal services in the area. You could see if one could come in and bill the neighbor, or suggest to your neighbor that it would be nice to hire one. You also could see if the poop service has ideas! A list in North Carolina is here (several of these are in the Triangle, scroll down): Dog Pooper Scooper Service Companies In North Carolina
One of them has this good list of why dog poop should be removed, for everyone's future reference: Triangle Scoopers

Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Our HOA freely admits that arbitrating pet disputes is half of what they do .
This is part of the problem to me. Adults know very well they should clean up after their pets and also what can happen when they are allowed to roam free. Its ridiculous to believe that your dog always stays in your yard when you aren't leash walking it but instead are only opening the door for it to run out, take care of business, and then run back in. It's also not safe for the pet.

I agree with going to the HOA as well but why should this have to happen in the first place! My guess is that the same thing rings true for most HOA's, that they spend a lot of time on poopscoop issues and that is a shame. People are old enough to buy homes but not curb their animals properly.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 AM

237 posts, read 915,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Our neighbor's dog is unleashed and unfenced and frequently wanders into our yard. That doesn't bother us so much. But she also frequently craps in the yard, too. (sorry to be inelequent.) This bothers us. We're pretty new in the neighborhood--6 months or so. How would you handle this? We live in Durham, and I know there are leash laws and nuisance animal laws here. Should we talk to them or should we call animal control?
pick up the dog **** and put it on there porch with a note " YOUR DOG LEFT THIS IN OUR YARD AND HOW ABOUT PUTTING UP A FENCE..............

Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 AM

134 posts, read 410,670 times
Absolutely talk to them first. Tell them, as you mentioned in your original post, that you have no problems with the dog coming into your yard. But only if they clean up after him/her regularly. That you are finding a lot of dog poo in the yard, etc., etc., and it can only come from their dog (you've witnessed him do this ,etc.). Hence, either they regularly clean up after him, or the roaming privileges stop.

By discussing this with them, you are making it clear that they have the choice to be good neighbors or not. By going behind their backs, you are depriving them of that choice. And you are making them look like terrible neighbors (perhaps they are, but we don't know that yet), and they will resent that. They will blame you for the whole affair, since you escalated without giving them a chance to correct the problem.

If they choose incorrectly (typically by saying they'll take care of it and doing nothing), warn them once more in the future. At that time, however, tell them you will have to take action if it doesn't stop. Be specific about what that means. But again, do it in a way that reminds them that they are at fault, that they have chosen to act unreasonably. And that you have been patient. But no longer.

Most people I meet here will take immediate steps to solve this problem. They will hate the feeling of imposing on someone, especially a neighbor. I know all of my neighbors, they are very nice people, and I would not at all mind if a neighbor discussed a problem of this type with me face to face. On the contrary.

I would mind, however, if I learned my neighbors were aware of something I was doing wrong, but never discussed it with me directly.

--JC

Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 AM

65 posts, read 267,181 times
Well my neighbors had guests over w/ their 2 dogs and they ran in my house on two seperate occassions. I have small children and the kids started to run and it was just a mess. My thing is after the first time this happened 4 weeks ago why not keep these dogs on a leash. The dogs seem very playful, but my kids are not use to dogs.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:12 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,621,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
pick up the dog **** and put it on there porch with a note " YOUR DOG LEFT THIS IN OUR YARD AND HOW ABOUT PUTTING UP A FENCE..............
How about just teach him to do this........

Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
Thumbs up hahahaha

hahahahaha LMAO! omgosh too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
How about just teach him to do this........

Old 08-22-2007, 09:21 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
hahahahaha LMAO! omgosh too funny!

oh my Gosh....I laughed so hard at that pic....too too funnyyyyyy

Old 08-22-2007, 09:35 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,445 times
Default give it back

For the poo, I knew someone who would shovel it up and leave on the homeowners doorstep with a note, I am just returning your property. This person also would have the dog poop while being yelled at. didnt care.

You have to accpet that some people just dont care.
It sounds like this is what you have. Animal control might help depending on who wants to do their job that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary