Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I still feel like an awful parent for even considering it - how pathetic is that?
Don't feel awful, she will probably love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Don't feel awful, she will probably love it.
Not probably....we took her to visit 3 so far. In all 3, she integrated herself immediately and started playing with all the other kids, doing the activities, etc. She didn't even notice when we left the room for a half hour. LOL

Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM

17 posts, read 42,185 times
We had our son there for a year and the only complaint that I have is that there is quite a large amount of turn over in the teaching staff. In the year we were ther my son had three different teachers........some not as qualified as others. We actually were going to pull him out because we didn't approve of the second teacher but by the time we decided she was gone. When the next one was replaced with a teachers assistant we made the move and pulled him out.

On the positive it was always clean and it felt secure

Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefmb View Post
We had our son there for a year and the only complaint that I have is that there is quite a large amount of turn over in the teaching staff. In the year we were ther my son had three different teachers........some not as qualified as others. We actually were going to pull him out because we didn't approve of the second teacher but by the time we decided she was gone. When the next one was replaced with a teachers assistant we made the move and pulled him out.

On the positive it was always clean and it felt secure
Thank you. They only hire 4-year degreed teachers so I'd have to think they are all qualified. They'll let a vacancy go for months if they haven't found the right person according to the directors. Plus, it still beats having to find new in-home care every 6 months. You can't believe how stressful this is on our family and especially my wife and daughter. Even if the teacher is, say, average at best, at least the company and play time with the other children is better than having a one-on-one mediocre situation at home, right?

We met and spent time with my daughter's soon-to-be teacher and she's wonderful. The other future possibilities are also equally as good. We are very excited, but not as excited as she is.

I signed her up this morning to start Oct. 17. She can't stop talking about it.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Thank you. They only hire 4-year degreed teachers so I'd have to think they are all qualified. They'll let a vacancy go for months if they haven't found the right person according to the directors. Plus, it still beats having to find new in-home care every 6 months. You can't believe how stressful this is on our family and especially my wife and daughter. Even if the teacher is, say, average at best, at least the company and play time with the other children is better than having a one-on-one mediocre situation at home, right?

We met and spent time with my daughter's soon-to-be teacher and she's wonderful. The other future possibilities are also equally as good. We are very excited, but not as excited as she is.

I signed her up this morning to start Oct. 17. She can't stop talking about it.
Trust me just because they have a 4 year degree does not mean they are qualified. But you can run into this anywhere and not just at this day care so you can't really factor that into your decision because the only way you will find that out is if your child is already attending the school. I guess what I am saying is it's a good standard to have but you can still have a really poor teacher that has a 4 year degree.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
Trust me just because they have a 4 year degree does not mean they are qualified. But you can run into this anywhere and not just at this day care so you can't really factor that into your decision because the only way you will find that out is if your child is already attending the school. I guess what I am saying is it's a good standard to have but you can still have a really poor teacher that has a 4 year degree.
Clearly that's true, however it beats having no educational requirements, or less stringent ones. And from what they told me (I will have to see if it's true from experience), they only hire people with a passion for teaching and kids, not someone simply looking for a paycheck. I plan to be quite involved so I'll be able to keep my eyes/ears open for any signs of funny business but they seem like honest and forthright folks to me so far. I didn't get that feeling from many of the other places we went and had a bad gut feel from the others I have seen so far. This was the only one without that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary