Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 07:33 AM

354 posts, read 627,203 times

Advertisements

I am very curious to know why do people think this about the area. I just do not understand how is the area is boring, I mean what is it that visitors like to do that is not boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Well, it's not a touristy area, so no theme parks or beaches or majestic mountains, but I always find more than enough to keep entertained.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Because it has a long-standing reputation as a large expanse of indistinguishable suburbia. I was aware of that reputation in the 90s before I ever moved here - within my company the Triangle was the place you supposedly didn't want to go because it was uninteresting.

I'm not suggesting the reputation is true. While we're not a "big city," I think most of us would argue this area has much to offer.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Who said it was boring?

Your title is a loaded question.

Instead of asking what people find interesting to do here, you framed the question so that anyone who answers either has to agree with your title (that people find Raleigh boring) or provide evidence to the contrary.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:49 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Give me a cardboard box and a tablecloth and I will find a way to have fun! Anyhow that is how I was raised 60 yrs ago. Maybe that is the difference--many of us know how to make our own fun and don't need to have extravagant venues. Some folks only want to visit events/places that 'everyone else back home' will have heard of. Others make friends and good times wherever they go.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:34 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
I am very curious to know why do people think this about the area. I just do not understand how is the area is boring, I mean what is it that visitors like to do that is not boring.
It's been considered a boring place to VISIT, but a good place to LIVE, exactly the opposite of many cities. Though there are more and more "attractions" that keep visitors busy than there used to be. As is so very very very often the case, people who make opinions about the area and don't really live here are usually using outdated "knowledge"/rumor. "Durham is full of crime" or "The area is boring" or "all of our problems will go away forever if we just move to Raleigh where there are so many jobs and everything is cheap!!!"

If you like it, why do you care why someone else doesn't?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times
I prefer to look at it as a "comfortable & nice" area. It is certainly different than where we live now, but while we were there, we very much enjoyed it.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:41 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,557,879 times
Everywhere I have ever lived, people (especially Teenagers) have always claimed it was boring. I don't think it's a Triangle thing. Sometimes "boring" (yes I used quotes...lol) means nice, safe and comfortable to others. Plus if you have kids, life is never boring!

Old 12-12-2014, 09:42 AM

715 posts, read 888,632 times
Wish I had more time to take advantage of the area...compared to the late 70's and 80's the Triangle has come alonggggggggg way.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:58 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I prefer to look at it as a "comfortable & nice" area. It is certainly different than where we live now, but while we were there, we very much enjoyed it.

Exactly!!!
I was born and raised here. But have traveled extensively. The best way I describe this area to people is it is very "Comfortable". And best put Raleigh and much of North Carolina "Have a little of Everything, but not a lot of Anything" Great place to live and very very pleasant, but will not get your heart racing by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary