Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post

What I saw, generally speaking, were a bunch of kids who think they are entitled to a good job because they graduated ... Having the ability to thoughtfully articulate ideas and vision is what gets you ahead.
I worked with university students for several years and was stunned at how well they thought they were doing when the work they were turning in was sadly lacking.

Many of students put forth minimal efforts and it showed. They'd stand to present papers on say, Violence in Sports or Divorce in America and invariably start out by saying that they couldn't find much on this topic (huh?) but they did find this article in some magazine. They would mispronounce words and quote statistics they couldn't explain. Their conclusions often didn't follow and regularly didn't even make sense. They'd mumble about for ten or fifteen minutes and then conclude with something along the lines of, "So, as you can see there is a lot of violence in sports."

Good grief! Is it any wonder they are paying off their student loans by working as an assistant manager at Burger King?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 06:39 PM

22 posts, read 52,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
There are 5 listed for October, total, as of today. There are some from September.

Red Hat, for whatever reason, leaves their job postings up all year, from last January. I can't imagine that they haven't filled jobs from last January -- or even from a couple of months ago.
Trust me, Red Hat is looking to fill their support positions.

Also, since you just graduated from school, have you seen this (NCSU Comp Sci Job Board)
NC State Computer Science: Employment opportunities

Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 AM

278 posts, read 467,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
I was interviewing college grads a few years back and I was shocked at the lack of communications skills and overall skills in general.

People on here have talked about how college grads are "hungry" and can take the place of seasoned workers for less money., etc. etc.

They aren't "hungry" at all. they spend more on cell phones in a year than most of us did on our first car. They are a privelaged group who are going to be the first generation in history to be economically worse off than their parents.

What I saw, generally speaking, were a bunch of kids who think they are entitled to a good job because they graduated and have absolutely no clue of what the business world is like.
It is important to remember that it is always the middle aged or older (45-60) who lead businesses and drive the economy. It is obvious that if there aren't enough opportunities for young people to gain experience, and college isn't teaching relevant career skills, and there are few companies willing to train new employees, then young people won't have the experience required to "bolt-on" to a company. Young people aren't in charge and they can't create internships and training opportunities themselves.

Meanwhile, it is completely foolish to suggest that cell phones and text messaging are the cause of any lack of work experience or job skills.

Anyone who buys this must also consider that older workers struggle to use the computer. I have worked in several offices full of employees 40-60 years old who could not handle basic functions in Windows 98, like downloading email attachments, accessing files, and transferring pictures from a camera. I have always been happy to help, but can't pretend this is not a drag on resources.

Those who were lucky enough to build their careers in prosperous times should not be claiming that they created their prosperity themselves.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 PM

371 posts, read 1,219,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
It is important to remember that it is always the middle aged or older (45-60) who lead businesses and drive the economy. It is obvious that if there aren't enough opportunities for young people to gain experience, and college isn't teaching relevant career skills, and there are few companies willing to train new employees, then young people won't have the experience required to "bolt-on" to a company. Young people aren't in charge and they can't create internships and training opportunities themselves.

Meanwhile, it is completely foolish to suggest that cell phones and text messaging are the cause of any lack of work experience or job skills.

Anyone who buys this must also consider that older workers struggle to use the computer. I have worked in several offices full of employees 40-60 years old who could not handle basic functions in Windows 98, like downloading email attachments, accessing files, and transferring pictures from a camera. I have always been happy to help, but can't pretend this is not a drag on resources.

Those who were lucky enough to build their careers in prosperous times should not be claiming that they created their prosperity themselves.
Young people are quick to grasp and mostly tech savvy. The concern is they have too much time to focus on gadgets etc and not the real stuff at work like business knowledge etc so as to be more productive. At that young age if they put more effort into learning business knowledge that would help them in the long run a lot

Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 PM

310 posts, read 575,759 times
Quote:
How old were Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (or Henry Ford, John Rockefeller et al for that matter) when they started influencing business and the economy?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 PM

306 posts, read 436,635 times
Quote:

How many of the interviews that I conducted with young, tech savy college graduates were you in on again?

You say "It is important to remember that it is always the middle aged or older (45-60) who lead businesses and drive the economy." ALWAYS, Really? There are plenty of people pre 45 who have made great impacts on the direction of the company they work for and play an important part in shaping the organization

The POINT is that there is not much to be gained by spending a lot of time texting incomplete sentences to your friends all day and taking part in the socially regressive freefall that many people are in today.

If I was a young person today I would spend much more time developing good interpersonal and presentation skills and a lot less time messing around with smart phones, texting and on line poker rooms.

As I said in my original post, show up to an interview and be able to thoughtfully articulate some relevant ideas and you will be way ahead of most of your peers.

It is even more important in a tight job market.

As far as your last sentence, I was not claiming anything about myself.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-27-2011 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Deleted TOS violations

Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvtpilot View Post
We are considering a move from the Phoenix area to Raleigh/Cary, NC. I've read some reports that seem to conflict themselves...so, how would the job market be for someone in IT? Does it seem stagnant, improving trend or declining?
I'd like to remind everyone of the OP's ^^ questions ^^.

If you have helpful answers, please add them. If you'd like to snipe at each other, take it to DM.

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:09 PM

278 posts, read 467,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvtpilot View Post
We are considering a move from the Phoenix area to Raleigh/Cary, NC. I've read some reports that seem to conflict themselves...so, how would the job market be for someone in IT? Does it seem stagnant, improving trend or declining?
Unfortunately the unemployment rates in Phoenix and Raleigh are similar, 8.4 and 8.8 as of August. But the total population in each are is very different, as Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale has about 4.7 million people and Raleigh-Cary-Durham-Chapel Hill only has 1.7 million. This means there are many more jobs in the Phoenix area than there are in the Raleigh area, given that there are 2.76x more people. This does not strictly mean there are 2.76x the number of jobs or open positions, but it easily suggests that there are more jobs near Phoenix.

Most reports are just going to provide the simple unemployment rate, but when we try to determine our likelihood of finding employment the aggregate number of jobs is just as important if not more important. If you are flexible about which part of town you live in or willing to take on a cross-town commute, then companies in the whole metro are possible sources of employment.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:42 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,720 times
Both my husband and I are in IT. But he has 14 years of experience...so he has seen jobs with tech support as well as being contacted by recruiters. I was in the tech support/help desk area for 14 years and until I went into more QA I was still being contacted as well. Again, without the experience it's harder to get that first job in this economy. Back in the glory days of IT....mid - late 90's....you could very easily ( as I did ) get that first job because they had more jobs than people out there. Today I do see work in support as well as QA but you are going up against so many others...maybe 200 + applicants. Linux is great and good to know as well as specialize in. I've heard Red Hat's interviews are tough as far as grilling you on your knowledge. Not to be Debbie downer but it's also harder to get that job not being an NC resident. Not that recruiters won't call but some companies only want locals. They are not looking to relocate someone or wait for them to get here. Some if they want you bad enough will do it of course. Post your resume on Indeed.com, Dice.com and monster.com. I only used those and have been contacted my recruiters. Look at company web sites and apply directly there as well. Can't hurt...just wanted to be honest of what things are like here..which for most areas is sorta the same.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 AM

103 posts, read 279,492 times
Quote:

Your entire post is contradictive. In todays tech driven society it isn't the 45-60 years old who are driving this economy. They are the ones struggling with the shift in times as you correctly stated.

The economy will be driven by those with creativity in todays technologies and not your typical 55-year old who wouldn't know where to begin. There are many of these types sitting on boards who do not fully grasp the direction that their own business is taking much less playing a role in driving the economy.

Others mentioned Jobs and Gates, what about Larry Page who founded Google at 25 or Mark Zuckerberg who founded Facebook at age 20? Bob Young with Red Hat, and the list goes on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary