Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:50 AM

150 posts, read 289,379 times

Advertisements

Well after 48 years and what seems like the blink of an eye I am picking up my life and joining "ya'll" in North Carolina. Excited nervous ... scared.
Saying goodbye to everything including my job of 23 years along with my friends and support system to moving alone into temporary housing, so I can start my new job, close on a house on the 17th (hopefully), get everything set there (while still trying exude confidance at work....) then flying back to NY to drive a truckload of stuff, 2 dogs a cat and an evil parrot down with me.
The hard part is that our present home is not even on the market yet so my husband can't move with me until the end of Jan/early Feb and that kinda sucks....it is going to be really hard to be apart.
but, maybe I can use that time alone to go to a gym and drop 20 lbs....

AHHHHH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,714 times
How exciting! good for you. Change CAN BE good. You just need the right attitude.
Good luck. How can we help?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilaurorn View Post
Well after 48 years and what seems like the blink of an eye I am picking up my life and joining "ya'll" in North Carolina.
Lesson #1: It's "y'all", not "ya'll" Short for "you all".

Old 12-30-2011, 12:49 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I thought we didn't correct typos, grammar and spelling on this forum??? I guess only for Yankees

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Sounds like you'll hit the ground running which is probably good - less time to dwell on any negative aspects (missing DH etc).

It's 62 degrees right now....does that help? (although it will be cold next week!)

Old 12-30-2011, 02:08 PM

306 posts, read 436,682 times
This is a nice place to live, I recently moved here myself.

People are generally very nice, the climate enables you to get out more and it is a very maneagable place to drive and get around.

Also, 99.99% of the people here don't care how you spell y'all.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I thought we didn't correct typos, grammar and spelling on this forum???
It's not "correcting", it's informing, for someone about to come where the term is used. Just like if someone were moving to France and were spelling "Bonjour" wrong--it's something they will want to know.

If someone misspells "lose", correcting them is "correcting". If someone new to the area says or spells a local expression or name wrong, showing them the correct way is helping acclimate them--or most would say. The fact that she put it in quotation marks shows she was "trying it out" so it's a perfect time to mention the actual spelling.

Quote:
I guess only for Yankees
Um, OK, whatever you say...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
Nineteen years ago in February, I moved down here "alone" with 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 birds.

I never expected to move from Rochester, NY, where I was perfectly happy. I moved here only for a job, no other reason.

It is an adjustment. You don't realize what a support system you really have until you move.

My advice? Make a conscious effort to build that system back up...

I highly recommend that once you get settled, you check out Meetup.com to find people who share your interests. If you go to church, that is a good way to connect with others. If you have time, volunteering is a great way to meet other people, too.

It takes time to feel settled. A very successful couple I know who moved here around the same time I did used to have a big map (not a computer printout) of the whole Triangle area. They put that map on their living room wall and referred to it often to get an idea of what was what. I think it helped a lot.

There are so many transplants here, you will fit right in. Natives seem to be in the minority.

I also highly recommend making a conscious effort to keep old friends and family "with you" as much as you can. Email. Talk on Skype. Try to go back at least once a year, if not more, to reconnect. Have them visit you regularly if they can. It may take a little more nurturing on your part to keep the relationship going.

I found that some people aren't very good maintaining long-distance friendships, but when you see each other in person, it's like old times.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilaurorn View Post
then flying back to NY to drive a truckload of stuff, 2 dogs a cat and an evil parrot down with me....AHHHHH!
Good luck on driving with the menagerie. I did that last spring from Maryland, but only one cat. She hollered for two+ hours, then calmed down. When we got there, she spent a week hiding under a bed.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
Be careful when driving down. When I drove down with my menagerie, I was lucky I didn't fall asleep at the wheel; I remember beginning to nod off a couple of times. I didn't want to make it a two-day drive, and I didn't want to stop unless absolutely necessary. It was crazy for me to do it in one day, with no other adult with me, like I did.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:43 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Along those lines, here is a great newcomers guide

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...val-guide.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary