Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 AM

11 posts, read 61,116 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I posted one or two times last year about Thales. We decided to attend another school. But I am still keeping my eyes open and am interested in watching how this school develops. It's not out of the question for us in later years. I'm particularly interested in the middle school and high school plans as that is where we will be soon. I thought it best to give it some time to grow before making an true assessment. So after two years-- how does the middle school in Apex stack up? I'm not interested in starting the 'accreditation discussion" again.

Here are my questions:
a) there are plans to build a middle school (thank you mcfamily)- when will that be done? Is it crowded in the current building?
b) how did the last years students do? successful and happy?
c) according to the website there are 'electives' offered but it doesn't say how many you can take. Technology is one elective? do you give up that to take an art class?
d) how are the administrators? involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
Apex middle or Lufkin fine schools Apex HS or Green Hope a very good HS! Save your money!!!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Apex middle or Lufkin fine schools Apex HS or Green Hope a very good HS! Save your money!!!
Great advice!!!!! Also, be sure the school is accredited, I think their Wake Forest campus isn't(?).You want to be sure this isn't an issue for your child getting into college.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 AM

182 posts, read 386,266 times
Middle school is a difficult point for a lot fo parents. Our child was in Olive Chapel Road Elementary, a truly great school, but when we rode by Apex Middle and saw the size of the kids, we were just about terrified at the move up. Plus our child is a year younger than the rest of the class.

We looked at the private schools but couldn't get in, so we also looked at Lufkin Road Middle, which at that time was an elective year round. Turned out great. As my wife says, if you go to the trouble to explore such options you're genrally paying more attention than many parents, and it pays. It was a tough school but our child transitioned to Apex High (three out of three great Apex schools) without missing a beat. Now our child is in a great university and excelling, actually doing better than in high school, which was pretty good, and easily competing with kids from very expensive private schools. My opinion is that if you explore the options and stay on it, you will get great results from public schools, especially in Apex. It's a professional and educated community and parents pay attention to their kids' education, which allows teachers to push the kids.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 PM

22 posts, read 59,807 times
Apex Middle School is a fine school. But it is a big step up from elementary school in terms of "social education." There is a much wider variety of behaviors at the middle school level. If you are looking for a more conservative environment, you may want to reconsider private schooling.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:12 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutthekids View Post
Apex Middle School is a fine school. But it is a big step up from elementary school in terms of "social education." There is a much wider variety of behaviors at the middle school level. If you are looking for a more conservative environment, you may want to reconsider private schooling.

Give me a break Do you want to shelter your children?? Not a good way to raise them in this world

Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 PM

22 posts, read 59,807 times
I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that some kids are not ready for that big jump. The way to raise your children in this world is the way you see fit...and it is not a one-size-fits all. These are obviously concerned, involved people looking to make an informed choice about what is best for their children.

And that's my input after having children at Apex Middle for more than 8 years.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:48 PM

11 posts, read 61,116 times
Thank you to all for your responses! We don't live in Apex otherwise I would indeed consider the local middle schools. Yes- everyone needs to make their own choice regarding education and the middle years are a most challenging time.

I do find it odd, that no Thales middle school parents responded to this thread. They were far more active in earlier years. Perhaps they are not at the middle school level yet. Or perhaps the lack of "in the know" response is all the review I need. Either way-- an interesting subject to watch. I wonder how many of the current 8th graders will stay on high school-- if there is one?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,130 times
i didnt reply since we are still in the Elem years at Thales. Looking at the middle school we are undecided so far. All the kids i know in the MS are happy and its challenging and there are small class sizes and good curriculum (singapore math, tech is in addition to are, btw). however there is no sports program. so we are looking at other options to see whats out there. So many choices!!!!!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,077 times
We love Olive Chapel! Good to know about Lufkin as we want to continue with the year round schedule. My neighbor loved it but always nice to hear more reviews. They plan to build a new HS off Humie (sp?) Olive Chapel which is 5 minutes from us! Supposed to be open for the 2015-2016 school year. Either way I thrilled my daughter can go to a local HS. Not that Panther Creek is bad but I am in favor of going to schools in the same town. Gives the kids a chance to know their neighbors and community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary