Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 05:19 AM

873 posts, read 1,018,538 times

Advertisements

In a historic week, Hillsborough, Carrboro and Chapel Hill have become the first municipalities to pass these ordinances in the wake of the expiration of a key prong of HB142 last month. Durham City Council and Orange County Commission will take up LGBTQ ordinances on Tuesday, Jan. 19. According to polling, more than 67% of North Carolinians support non-discrimination measures.

Equality North Carolina and the Campaign for Southern Equality, NC-based organizations that work toward LGBTQ equality, urge local elected officials to pass LGBTQ-inclusive nondiscrimination ordinances through NC is Ready for LGBTQ Protections (www.ncisready.org).

https://ncisready.org/updates/chapel-hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 08:56 AM

1,204 posts, read 779,554 times
That's good news! Thank you for sharing.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:55 AM

1,462 posts, read 661,153 times
Would y'all please hold. Phone message for the GOP legislators. The 1950's just called. They want their era back!

Old 01-14-2021, 11:58 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
Awesome!

Old 01-14-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Would y'all please hold. Phone message for the GOP legislators. The 1950's just called. They want their era back!
No kidding. I fully expect them to come back with something grossly ridiculous like "gay and transgender people should self-identify by wearing a pink triangle" or "medical staff can deny services to LGBTQ people based on their religious believes"... I would love to one day not to worry about religious right and their hatred again secular laws.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:26 PM

873 posts, read 1,018,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
That's good news! Thank you for sharing.
You're welcome! Hopefully more of the Triangle will make the same moves soon and we'll be leading the state in this regard. Although I have no objection if and when Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Wilmington and other municipalities sign onto this as well.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:36 AM

Durham has just passed it too.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:41 AM

749 posts, read 1,317,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
You're welcome! Hopefully more of the Triangle will make the same moves soon and we'll be leading the state in this regard. Although I have no objection if and when Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Wilmington and other municipalities sign onto this as well.
To be fair, Charlotte did pass in 2016, and well....we saw where that led.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:19 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
Greensboro is considering a similar law

Old 01-20-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
To be fair, Charlotte did pass in 2016, and well....we saw where that led.
There is a Supreme Court ruling from June of this year. There is already precedence and I do not think this will go belly up this time.

Quote:
In a historic decision, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled Monday that the 1964 Civil Rights Act protects gay, lesbian, and transgender employees from discrimination based on sex. The ruling was 6-3, with Justice Neil Gorsuch, President Trump's first appointee to the court, writing the majority opinion. The opinion was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's four liberal justices.

Two involved employees who sued after contending they had been fired because they were gay. One of them, Gerald Bostock, won awards for his work as a child welfare coordinator for Clayton County, Ga, but said he was fired after he joined a gay recreational softball league. As he told NPR in October, "Within months, I was fired for being gay. I lost my livelihood. I lost my medical insurance, and I was recovering from prostate cancer at the time. It was devastating." The second case involved Donald Zarda, a now-deceased skydiving instructor who was gay.

The third case was brought by Aimee Stephens, who had worked for six years as a male funeral director in Livonia, Mich., but was fired two weeks after she told her boss that she was transgender and would be coming to work as a woman. She died earlier this year, but her case lived on.

Gorsuch couched his opinion in terms of the text of the 1964 statute and its ban on discrimination because of sex.

"It is impossible to discriminate against a person for being homosexual or transgender without discriminating ... based on sex," the justice wrote. He gave the example of two employees attracted to men — one male, the other female. "If the employer fires the male employee for no reason other than the fact that he is attracted to men," but not the woman who is attracted to men, that is clearly a firing based on sex, he said.

The Gorsuch opinion drew two dissents, one from the court's other Trump appointee, Brett Kavanaugh, so that Trump's two appointee were in a verbal version of what Yale Law Professor William Eskridge called "trench warfare."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary