Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 AM

285 posts, read 836,520 times

Advertisements

Hi Locals

Looking for any suggestions or recommendations for soundproofing companies locally within the Triangle. Specifically, I'm trying to block out the sound from my neighbors home theater (bass) - we're both single family homes, so we're not sharing walls believe it or not

Only came across this old thread, //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...f-windows.html however it spent more time giving advise on how to handle a barking dog than any recommendations

Looking through Google didnt come up with many options, although I could be searching for the wrong thing

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on where to look?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 AM

564 posts, read 873,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
Hi Locals

Looking for any suggestions or recommendations for soundproofing companies locally within the Triangle. Specifically, I'm trying to block out the sound from my neighbors home theater (bass) - we're both single family homes, so we're not sharing walls believe it or not

Only came across this old thread, //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...f-windows.html however it spent more time giving advise on how to handle a barking dog than any recommendations

Looking through Google didnt come up with many options, although I could be searching for the wrong thing

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on where to look?

Cheers

I would first have a discussion with your neighbors. It is easier for them to make some changes to see if that helps. I am guessing they have placed their subwoofer(s) next to the wall that faces your home. They can try and place it in another part of the room. Also, they do make isolation pads for the subwoofer. One example is the Auralex SubDude.

The extreme is using a product like Quiet Rock (you can get the number for a local dealer on their website) or some other form of isolation, such as double drywall and green glue.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
I would first have a discussion with your neighbors. It is easier for them to make some changes to see if that helps. I am guessing they have placed their subwoofer(s) next to the wall that faces your home. They can try and place it in another part of the room. Also, they do make isolation pads for the subwoofer. One example is the Auralex SubDude.

The extreme is using a product like Quiet Rock (you can get the number for a local dealer on their website) or some other form of isolation, such as double drywall and green glue.
Good advise - I've had a quick chat with them about the noise going both ways (I;m conscious that mine does not interfere with them either!), however havent really raised it as an issue with them "formally".

I know that their TV is on the side of their house and facing my living room, whereas my TV is on the BACK of the house - facing the yard. Dont know where the sub is, but quite likely its along that same wall as you say. The idea of buying them an isolation pad is a great one - thanks for that - may be something I'll try and delicately offer if I cant come up with any other solution...

Still interested to see if there's anything I could do from my side - short of putting up new walls !

Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
As you can probably "feel" low frequency noise is harder to attenuate than higher frequencies. The typical solution is to add mass - as in a masonry wall which is probably not practical for you. Anything you can do to decrease the direct contact mechanical contact - like a staggered double stud wall will also help.

RDU has this paper linked from their website for homeowners dealing with aviation related noise - it will give you some ideas on potential remedies. Section 2.4 and then Section 3 are especially good.

http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/home...ctionGuide.pdf

Frank

Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 PM

84 posts, read 147,949 times
I live in Belgium (after living in NC),and here masonry walls are the most common form, with concrete block as the base, followed by brick. Even masonry walls have a hard time with low frequency stuff like home theatres; my brother in law down the street had to use thick insulation pads to keep neighbors from complaining. The problem has to be taken care of at the source (your neighbors theatre room), with bass traps and such. He is legally responsible for this. Sub woofers are from hell and should be banned, in my opinion.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:16 PM

564 posts, read 873,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankInEurope View Post
I live in Belgium (after living in NC),and here masonry walls are the most common form, with concrete block as the base, followed by brick. Even masonry walls have a hard time with low frequency stuff like home theatres; my brother in law down the street had to use thick insulation pads to keep neighbors from complaining. The problem has to be taken care of at the source (your neighbors theatre room), with bass traps and such. He is legally responsible for this. Sub woofers are from hell and should be banned, in my opinion.
Subwoofers banned????? That would kill the thrill of the home theater!!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
Subwoofers banned????? That would kill the thrill of the home theater!!!!
And low volume music too. The nice thing about a good sub is the bass at low (normal) listening volumes.

I'm wondering what the neighbor has for a system or how close the houses are. I have a 500w amp for my sub and with my windows closed I can't rattle my neighbor's windows. We're both on cul de sac 1/4 acre lots. Not close, but not far from each other.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:26 PM

310 posts, read 575,632 times
Is not rattling the neighbor's windows the current threshold for what makes a good neighbor?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Just keeping this on topic - to be fair, in this instance I dont think my neighbor is aware of the issue currently. He's on a corner lot and I only just moved in - so he hasnt had any neighbors for the last 18 months. Dont want this to sound like I'm complaining about the neighbor as I'm not sure its his fault (yet!)

Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM

273 posts, read 619,190 times
This music should be played at maximum volume, preferably in a residential location........ thump thump thump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary