Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
No matter how many times you talk about RBC and Progress Energy, the unemployment rate in Charlotte is still significantly higher than the Triangle. Plus, these two employers were not the core of the Triangle's employment landscape.
That is simply because Charlotte has a much higher city population. Charlotte unemployment rate is around 10.5% while raleigh is around 9%. Also banking/finance only accounts for only 10% of jobs in the Charlotte region!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 01:46 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
That is simply because Charlotte has a much higher city population. Charlotte unemployment rate is around 10.5% while raleigh is around 9%. Also banking/finance only accounts for only 10% of jobs in the Charlotte region!!
The NY Times did an article on Charlotte's efforts to switch from banking to energy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/re...charlotte.html

Old 11-26-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The NY Times did an article on Charlotte's efforts to switch from banking to energy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/re...charlotte.html
This looks really good for Charlotte. I wonder what percentage of jobs in Raleigh are I.T.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,119 times
Default Charlotte vs Raleigh

I grew up in Charlotte and have lived in Raleigh 30 years. The difference is not near as much as 50 years ago.

In a nutshell:

Charlotte is more business oriented, closer to the mountains, more of a sense of "hustle and bustle"

Raleigh is more Political and Educational, closer to the coast.

Each has lots of Transplants; although, my experience is that transplants are more accepted in Charlotte.

John Sullivan

Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Raleigh is in much better shape economically. They have barely even had a recession compared to Charlotte. Charlotte was hit extremely hard and I think the unemployment rate here is hovering around 12% still, with no sign of immediate improvement. The banks are still laying off en masse so its more than likely going to get much worse before it gets better. The problem is Charlotte's entire economy is dependent on just a few companies. This is getting better than it was a few years ago, but Charlotte has a long ways to go in terms of diversifying its economy. If BofA were to go the way of Lehman, Charlotte would become Detroit overnight.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Raleigh is in much better shape economically. They have barely even had a recession compared to Charlotte. Charlotte was hit extremely hard and I think the unemployment rate here is hovering around 12% still, with no sign of immediate improvement. The banks are still laying off en masse so its more than likely going to get much worse before it gets better. The problem is Charlotte's entire economy is dependent on just a few companies. This is getting better than it was a few years ago, but Charlotte has a long ways to go in terms of diversifying its economy. If BofA were to go the way of Lehman, Charlotte would become Detroit overnight.
Banking makes up ONLY 10% of Charlottes economy. Our unemployment rate is 10% compared to 9% in Raleigh! The only reason our rate is higher is because we a much higher city population. I work in Raleigh, trust me Charlottes economy is Alot more diverse then Raleigh! I.e. tourism, logistics, manufacturing, etc...

Old 11-26-2011, 05:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Banking makes up ONLY 10% of Charlottes economy. Our unemployment rate is 10% compared to 9% in Raleigh! The only reason our rate is higher is because we a much higher city population. I work in Raleigh, trust me Charlottes economy is Alot more diverse then Raleigh! I.e. tourism, logistics, manufacturing, etc...
Wake county's unemployment is 8.5% vs Mecklenburg which is at 11%. 3% of the workforce is a big and noticeable difference if you are a job seeker.

All of that said, I do believe Charlotte is the superior city in terms of urban amenities, quality of life, etc despite the fact Raleigh has the clear economic advantage at this time.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:43 PM

84 posts, read 147,922 times
I'll take the Triangle over Charlotte any day, lived in Raleigh 8 years, loved it. More pine trees, less billboard mess, better managed (Raleigh and Cary at least), 3 major universities within 20 miles. Raleigh feels more "balanced" demographically...

Old 11-28-2011, 04:21 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times
Many good responses, thanks everyone! More welcome of course...

Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Many good responses, thanks everyone! More welcome of course...
In all honesty, this is a dead horse that has been beaten too many times. Whatever questions you might have, you'll probably find the answers in the following thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-barred-2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary