Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 AM

334 posts, read 867,657 times

Advertisements

The best coverage in North Raleigh is Verizon. Sprint/Virgin are not as good. There are cheaper ways to be on the Verizon network. I believe Straight Talk from Walmart uses the Verizon network and Pageplus also does.
When my Verizon contract is up I am going to jump to one of the cheaper carriers that use the Verizon network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 AM

84 posts, read 147,990 times
Verizon is hands down the best.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
I just joined TMo 2 weeks ago after being with Verizon for the past 8+ years. I can count on one hand the number of "dropped" calls (1+ bars but still lose the call) on one hand for Verizon but I have dropped a few with TMo already but I am also saving 120+ per month. Family Value Plan for 2 with unlimited talk/text & data for under $100 works for me.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM

334 posts, read 867,657 times
I could always tell the none Verizon guys at my football get to gathers. they had to go outside to phone their wife's.
North Raleigh off Millbrook.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I just joined TMo 2 weeks ago after being with Verizon for the past 8+ years. I can count on one hand the number of "dropped" calls (1+ bars but still lose the call) on one hand for Verizon but I have dropped a few with TMo already but I am also saving 120+ per month. Family Value Plan for 2 with unlimited talk/text & data for under $100 works for me.
How much was your phone? we're exploring this option...

Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,808 times
I like in Cary near evans rd/cary pkwy and work in Raleigh off six forks road. Any idea's how t-mobile coverage in these areas?

And if I do sign up for tmobile and find their service crappy, how difficult it is to cancel without penalty?

Old 11-29-2011, 05:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
I don't think I want go the pre-paid route.
Just curious as to why not? I'm getting ready to drop Nextel so I've been researching my options. I have no need for a smart phone but I did read on the plans. Straight talk offers Android phones which uses Sprint's 4G network. The cost is $45/mo for unlimited calls, texts, and data. Straight Talk offers "auto enroll" which will charge your credit card the monthly rate automatically so there is no disruption in service. The best thing is there is no contract.

Being one who's totally against a contract, pre-paid service is my only option. I will be going with Straight Talk and use their auto enroll plan. Since I don't need unlimited everything I will be signing up for their 1000 minutes for calls, 1000 texts, and 30mb web access plan which costs $30/mo. I have also learned that if I order a phone through their website I can pick a phone that uses Verizon's network since they have the best coverage. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

In fact, after just checking their website I see they are offering a promo on certain phones you get unlimited everything for $30/mo.

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...Phonelist=true

Taken right off ST's website:
Quote:
There are two ways to refill your Straight Talk Account:
1. Straight Talk Auto-Refill: You may enroll by registering your credit or accepted debit card (with Visa or MC logo) at www.StraightTalk.com/enroll and you will receive a recurring charge to your credit or accepted debit card every 30 days which will automatically refill your account with the Service you select.

Last edited by underPSI; 11-29-2011 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,808 times
hmm. I said no to per-paid for fear of disruption of service if I forget to top up etc...

Also how about number portability?

30 a month is really attractive. So coverage is as good as sprint's?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:16 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
If you purchase an Android-powered smart phone the service will be the same as Sprint since you will be using their towers. ST is a 3rd-party service provider and does not own any towers. ST essentially rents service from major carriers.

ST will not have the latest and greatest phone. They do sell some that are relatively new. You need to look at the model number for the phones they sell. If the model number ends in a "C" it's a CDMA phone which uses Verizon's network. If the model number ends in a "G" it's a GMA phone which will use AT&T's network. Verizon has the best coverage in this area. Use the link below to see the phones offered on Verizon's network. Hint: You have to change "GMA" to "CO" in the url to only see the CDMA or Verizon network phones which I've done for you.

Choose Your Phone

You can port your existing number to a ST phone. All you do is order the phone of your choice. Once you receive it you'll have to activate it on ST's website. On their website you'll see an "Activate" link at the top of the home page. Hover over top and "transfer number" will pop up. Follow the link.

Below is taken from ST's website under FAQ:

Quote:
Can I transfer my current phone number to a Straight Talk phone?
Yes, you may transfer your telephone number from another company to Straight Talk. To port in your existing telephone number to your Straight Talk phone, the number you are porting must be active with your current service provider.

You need to request Straight Talk to port in your number, Straight Talk will process your request in your behalf. In order to request the transfer and initiate the activation process please go to https://www.straighttalk.com/Activate select the radio button option "Activate my phone with a number transferred from another company."

The transferring of your number to a new Straight Talk might take a few hours; however, if there are any delays from your current wireless carrier, the transfer process could take up to 7 days and in the case of landline numbers, transfers may take up to 30 days.

Your new Straight Talk will be ready to complete activation when your old phone stops working.
http://www.straighttalk.com/FAQ

Old 11-30-2011, 03:18 PM

502 posts, read 1,655,114 times
I live in NE Raleigh and have never had a problem with Verizon. I actually switched because with our old provider you could only get a signal if you leaned 45 degrees to the left in the arm chair in our living room. Seriously...

When my husband's aunt and cousin try to use their T-mobile phones at our house they always have problems. I've heard them complain quite often about their phones and service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary