Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,757 times

Advertisements

Our grown son wants an old fashioned, hot towel/straight razor shave for Christmas. We'll treat him to a hair cut as well.

Glitch is, can't find a barber shop that does this any more. Who knew?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and will put in a good word for you with Santa.

Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 PM

78 posts, read 160,588 times
Default Rich's Roffler Style Shop downtown Cary may still do them

I had several done in years past at Rich's Roffler Style Shop (Barber Shop) in downtown Cary. Mr. Rich has since passed away. Bill, the other guy who worked with Mr. Rich and now probably runs the shop used to give them too, although once Bill used a regular safety razor on my son. Mr. Rich saw Bill do that and told Bill in no uncertain terms people didn't pay to get a shave with a safety razor. So, you might call first and see if they still do the old time shaves and if they use a straight razor, or safety razor. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
I'd be shocked if the Barber Shop at Cameron Village DIDN'T still use straight razors. Man-Mur on Hillsborough is very old school too.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,244 times
American Tobacco Barber Shop offers the service:

American Tobacco Barber Shop in Durham North Carolina

Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM

351 posts, read 632,978 times
Why not just get him a snuggie or a chia pet? He's making this too hard.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
American Tobacco Barber Shop offers the service:

American Tobacco Barber Shop in Durham North Carolina
Seconded. Joyce, Scott and Tony are AWESOME people and barbers. Your price is higher than chains (I think I pay $25-ish for a haircut before tip?) but totally worth it.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM

229 posts, read 704,199 times
I don't shave with a straight razor, but I do shave with old fashioned double edge (DE) razors which are kinda in the same boat. There's a huge forum for people into DE and straight razor shaving at badgerandblade.com, and the consensus on that forum is that most "old fashioned" barber shops give pretty terrible straight razor shaves. You might want to poke around that forum and pick up a DE shaving setup for him. Then he can have a nice luxurious old fashioned shave every day. And yes, a 1950s DE razor or any of the modern replicas do give a wayyyy better shave than any of the modern cartridge stuff.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin (MP) View Post
I had several done in years past at Rich's Roffler Style Shop (Barber Shop) in downtown Cary. Mr. Rich has since passed away. Bill, the other guy who worked with Mr. Rich and now probably runs the shop used to give them too, although once Bill used a regular safety razor on my son. Mr. Rich saw Bill do that and told Bill in no uncertain terms people didn't pay to get a shave with a safety razor. So, you might call first and see if they still do the old time shaves and if they use a straight razor, or safety razor. Good luck.
Alas, according to the barber who answered the phone, now that Rich is no longer keeping a watchful eye, Bill has gone back to to the safety razor.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
Why not just get him a snuggie or a chia pet? He's making this too hard.
Gave him a snuggie and a chia pet last year. But great suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Thanks a million to all who replied.

Down to Man-Mur and American Tobacco Barber. Cost for a shave and a haircut is a little less at Man-Mur and drive is bit longer to American Tobacco Barber. Not enough to make a difference either way.

The deciding factor is who offers the best old time, manly-man experience and the best haircuts. Any advice about that?

By the way, he's a college student in Texas, rarely shaves and usually buzzes his own hair with a pair of clippers. Often looks like a scruffy Curious George. So he'd likely be satisfied with either barber shop. But I'm kind of particular and want it to be a memorable experience for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary