Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM

32 posts, read 30,699 times

Advertisements

I do not have insurance. I know, I really should have gotten insurance. Anyway, I had X-Rays done and was told that I have wisdom teeth, but they did not come through the gum. I need to have them removed, but when I called a couple of places in my area (SW Raleigh), it was going to be at least $2,500. I am already paying for some other medical bills and I just do not have that much in my budget.
I really need to find a place that will be cheaper or at least have a really decent payment plan for someone without insurance.
Any suggestions? Also, if you know of a place that has a payment plan, please let me know what the requirements are. (If I have to provide job information, be at my job for a certain amount of time, have a certain credit score, make a large down payment first, etc.)
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:13 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
I know folks who have used the UNC dental school and been pleased. Students are supervised and in all the years I've lived here I've never heard a negative comment about them.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 PM

32 posts, read 30,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I know folks who have used the UNC dental school and been pleased. Students are supervised and in all the years I've lived here I've never heard a negative comment about them.
I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried the UNC school, but it would be a longer wait than I would like. I would rather have the extractions done soon. If all else fails, I will try UNC. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisToo View Post
I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried the UNC school, but it would be a longer wait than I would like. I would rather have the extractions done soon. If all else fails, I will try UNC. Thanks!
I'm not sure they offer payment plans, so you might want to ask about that up front.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Try Care Credit. Many dentists offer it.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisToo View Post
... I had X-Rays done and was told that I have wisdom teeth, but they did not come through the gum. I need to have them removed ...
Google should unerupted wisdom teeth be removed and get lots of hits. Among professionals there is no concensus. It's a coin-toss proposition. In your case, finances point to leaving them alone unless they cause trouble.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,178,135 times
If they are not causing you any grief save it for a time when you can afford it. That being said a dentist told me in 1980 that mine needed to be removed-I still have them and no issues!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I'm not sure they offer payment plans, so you might want to ask about that up front.
We're halfway thru the year just wait 6 months and do it Jan 1st when you have insurance again (assuming your open enrollment is in the fall).

Old 07-09-2014, 06:26 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We're halfway thru the year just wait 6 months and do it Jan 1st when you have insurance again (assuming your open enrollment is in the fall).
It wouldn't really matter at UNC Dental School. We went there for a consultation to have my son's wisdom teeth removed and was blindsided by the fact they do not accept insurance. I also have to add that the surgeons there may be good, but that's the most disorganized dental establishment I've ever had to deal with on the administrative end of things. It took months of calling just to schedule an appointment and becasue they didn't accept insurance, my out of pocket costs would have been about the same as going to a surgeon that does accept my insurance, so UNC Dental School was just a big waste of time for us to go there and I ended up $150 poorer for the consultation fees.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Unless you're in pain, or there's some underlying medical reason to remove them that you failed to mention, leave them alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: