Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM

23 posts, read 31,374 times

Advertisements

The job offer is at a prison in Butner. I've been told that Raleigh would be around 25-30 mins which isn't a problem seeing as how I drive 50-55 mins to and from work now. As far as "favorite place" I wish I could say I had one. But doing reseach looking for some somewhat active areas for me. that doesnt have ridiculously high rent. Dining entertainment and things of the such.
&& @new2raleigh wow rent seems reasonably low!
Again I thank everyone who is responding. Nothing like getting some "native help"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 PM

I found myself asking the question "what is the difference between Raleigh && Durham?" I was offered a job in Butner (currently living in NYC) Now to me Butner is entirely too small && I was looking for a town that wouldn't give me such a culture shock. So the next best thing to me would be Raleigh or Durham. But what's the difference. && it looks like they feed off of each other to provide one great city. You may shop in Raleigh && go to a great sport bar in Durham or whatever. However I heard that Durham isn't the greatest area when you consider the crime rate. What areas are better than others in both Raleigh && in Durham? When I go visit before the big move I would love some reasonable. . . NOT cheap housing areas. Close to most. City life with low crime rates??? Please && thanks in advance.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Moved this post from 4-year old thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fRomNyC2_?? View Post
I found myself asking the question "what is the difference between Raleigh && Durham?" I was offered a job in Butner (currently living in NYC) Now to me Butner is entirely too small && I was looking for a town that wouldn't give me such a culture shock. So the next best thing to me would be Raleigh or Durham. But what's the difference. && it looks like they feed off of each other to provide one great city. You may shop in Raleigh && go to a great sport bar in Durham or whatever. However I heard that Durham isn't the greatest area when you consider the crime rate. What areas are better than others in both Raleigh && in Durham? When I go visit before the big move I would love some reasonable. . . NOT cheap housing areas. Close to most. City life with low crime rates??? Please && thanks in advance.
If I worked in Butner and wanted to live in a city, out of my Top 3 choices, Durham is the first, second, and third place I would think to live.
Someplace with easy access to I-85 and zoom zoom a quick 15-20 minute commute.

There IS no "greatest area," just areas which serve needs better than others.
My need would be to live in a city, with a quick commute.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
According to Google Maps, Butner is:
50 minutes from the center of Raleigh and
21 minutes from the center of Durham.

To get an idea of crime, regularly check Durham, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Durham - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

When you are considering a place to live, you might also sign up for their free alerts and set them so you get alerts for crime within 5 or 10 miles of your potential address.

Durham has been described as "gritty." But you might find something you like there. There are many people who love Durham.

You might also consider Wake Forest. Google Maps shows it as 36 minutes from Butner. It is more of a suburban life, but it gets you closer to Raleigh on the weekends. The entire Triangle area is pretty much suburban.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,381 times
Coming from NYC, I doubt the OP would consider Durham "gritty." Especially if he's in North Durham, closer to Butner, where there are more trees than people, he probably would think it "pretty."

Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 AM

MikeJaquish:: lol Durham is the conclusion I'm coming to as well. I adapt well to most situations && changes so I don't think I would have an issue doing with or without some of things I'm used to. The only things that would rank high on my needs list would be the towns diversity. (From race, to liberal ways of thinking.) to the travel time to work. Which brings me to lovebrentwood:: The information you've provided has been great! Living in Durham would cut travel time to and from work in half (as opposed to living in Raliegh) I will have to look into what is considered "gritty" in Durham. But as dcgirl pointed out. Being born as raised in NYC I am accustomed to gritty. However part of the reason I am moving is to escape that lifestyle. I am sure Durham has many pleasent pockets && it would just be a matter of picking them out.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:52 PM

17 posts, read 157,273 times
Whatever tou choose your going to live it. Ive been here 3 months and it only feels like a couple of weeks. Everyone is so friendly here and its the cleanest place ive ever seen. The highways are always smooth and pothole free.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:23 PM

278 posts, read 577,091 times
My family went to Guglhupf Bakery in Durham last weekend, because we had read about it in Our State magazine. While sitting out on their patio having lunch I told my family I hope Durham stayed dirty. Raleigh is quite nice, but sometimes it is a little too clean. Durham has become a food and theatre city.
We have gotten in the habit of stopping in Raleigh because it was closer, but I want to go back to Durham, because I don't know quite what to expect there. It's more of an adventure. I have been to New York at least 15 times, Durham, is New York little cousin.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fRomNyC2_?? View Post
Living in Durham would cut travel time to and from work in half (as opposed to living in Raliegh) I will have to look into what is considered "gritty" in Durham. But as dcgirl pointed out. Being born as raised in NYC I am accustomed to gritty. However part of the reason I am moving is to escape that lifestyle. I am sure Durham has many pleasent pockets && it would just be a matter of picking them out.
Durham will feel like a tiny town compared to NYC--the skyline in Durham has exactly THREE tall buildings! I'm sure a little searching will pull up a photo of it...but you don't have to worry about getting "too much NYC". Durham is simply the most "urban feel" of any of the places here (and Raleigh and Durham are NOT "one great city"--they are two distinct cities 20 miles apart and most folks freely use the amenities in both, but they are not 'one city' by a long shot). 10 years or so ago, Durham did have a reputation for high crime, but they have done a superb job turning that around, and there's been an amazing amount of urban development downtown causing Durham to have many of the area's most "hopping" places. The southeast quadrant of the inner part of Durham is where much of the crime is concentrated now, but anyone would know right away by sight that it's not a great part of town. Otherwise, Northern, Western, and SW Durham are high on many people's lists of destinations, no matter where they work, but for you working in Butner, it really should be the primary place you consider, by far.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks a ton for the info @FRANCOIS I will look into this right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary