Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
You also have to read the bylaws of the association and have to be aware that they can be changed, often by as little as a simple majority vote.
The Bylaws can be tough to come by, as they aren't recorded or filed anywhere.

I think in many HOAs, they're aren't critical. They do define how the HOA as a non-profit corporation will govern itself (such as how the Board is elected, annual meeting requirements, etc.), but they don't usually say anything about the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:16 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
Quote:
The Bylaws can be tough to come by, as they aren't recorded or filed anywhere.

I think in many HOAs, they're aren't critical. They do define how the HOA as a non-profit corporation will govern itself (such as how the Board is elected, annual meeting requirements, etc.), but they don't usually say anything about the property.
That was my point exactly, you can't just read the covenants. There are bylaws and rules that are not in the covenants and are not filed with the county that you will have to follow. They can have a great impact on your life in the subdivision. If you cannot get all of them, then how can you know what the rules are. You need to have all of the covenants, bylaws and rules.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:16 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
I think the biggest issue is that HOA's have too much power, and too little can be done when they abuse it. You read stories of HOA's foreclosing on people's homes because of late fees, or lawyers fees, HOA's that will literally place giant rocks in front of your driveway when they charge you a special assessment that you are supposed to pay immediately, ect. They need to be regulated much more so that power doesn't go to people's head and give them the ability to ruin someones life.

Your best bet is to, when you find a home you are interested in, do your research. Read the covenants and look for things that seem out of the ordinary, or overly strict, things that wouldn't normally be standard. Google both the HOA and whatever management company runs it to see what people have to say. Most importantly, talk to the people that currently live there. Before my wife and I bought our home, I walked around and talked to 4-5 different people to get a feel for what the peoplw who already live there think.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:48 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
I would add that checking the property zoning wouldn't hurt either. Sometimes the covenants are silent on topics that are addressed in zoning/overlays. Zoning requirements can be fairly broad and include things like lot setback requirements and impervious surface requirements. This is especially important in watershed overlay areas that often tend to have larger lots due, in part, to the impervious surface requirements.
So, if you were planning to build a structure on your lot you would need to satisfy both the covenants and the zoning requirements. The good news here is that most zoning requirements are fairly well documented on the City/County websites.

Frank

Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Everyone is saying to "read the covenants". That is however not enough. It is the covenants that create and give power to the HOA, but usually the HOA has quite a bit of latitude in establishing the rules. You also have to read the bylaws of the association and have to be aware that they can be changed, often by as little as a simple majority vote. Since in any subdivision there are usually more than just a few sheeple, it is all too easy for a group of busybodies to take over and make your life a living hell. Eternal vigilance is the price of living in an HOA community.
Part of being a homeowner is that you are part of the HOA (Home Owner's Association) so if you attend the meetings, you will have more input on what happens. And, if you really want to become involved, you can get yourself elected to the board!

Vicki

Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 PM

294 posts, read 829,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse01 View Post
Geez, guys, this is so helpful! Still doing research and once one starts doing such research into HOA's, a slew of horror stories comes up. Now, what's the deal with that? Does anyone have any positive input about hoa's? What are your good stories?

Checking on the real estate outside of subdivisions, it seems like the options are very limited and the homes are quite a bit older and would need a total renovation. This doesn't seem too heartening.

Any input much appreciated.
No positive stories to share about the HOA at The Park at West Lake in Cary (if you're asking)......

Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
Just wanted to make sure you did not have the impression that EVERY house is Raleigh is in an HOA neighborhood. That is certainly NOT the case. Yes, if you want a brand new house in Cary or North Raleigh, it is likely that you will end up in a new subdivision and then likely that it will have an HOA. But, as an earlier poster said, ask your realtor to point you only to Non-HOA houses....there are many many. And we will let you do whatever you want with your house. I love my neighorhood, and we have gardens, chickens, trees, big lots, etc. etc. Love it.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 AM

28 posts, read 54,300 times
Thank you all so much for all this input. There are definitely pros and cons to living in an HOA community but I guess that it's difficult to really know what kind of HOA you're getting yourself into until you actually live there.

My priorities for a house are that I want to build a green house, put solar panels, rain barrels, definitely great high school, in the $250,000 range, under an hour drive from airport (my husband travels) and as for me, I'm a massage therapist and will build a private practice wherever I am living, so in actuality I would need to live near areas where there is affluence so that I have access to folks who can afford regular massage therapy. This is what I've been doing in NY for 15 years and I"m sure I can build a practice again as long as I'm positioned well geographically.

Am I asking for too much? Is this all feasible?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Just wanted to make sure you did not have the impression that EVERY house is Raleigh is in an HOA neighborhood. That is certainly NOT the case. Yes, if you want a brand new house in Cary or North Raleigh, it is likely that you will end up in a new subdivision and then likely that it will have an HOA. But, as an earlier poster said, ask your realtor to point you only to Non-HOA houses....there are many many. And we will let you do whatever you want with your house. I love my neighorhood, and we have gardens, chickens, trees, big lots, etc. etc. Love it.

Where do you live? I want to live there too!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse01 View Post
Thank you all so much for all this input. There are definitely pros and cons to living in an HOA community but I guess that it's difficult to really know what kind of HOA you're getting yourself into until you actually live there.

My priorities for a house are that I want to build a green house, put solar panels, rain barrels, definitely great high school, in the $250,000 range, under an hour drive from airport (my husband travels) and as for me, I'm a massage therapist and will build a private practice wherever I am living, so in actuality I would need to live near areas where there is affluence so that I have access to folks who can afford regular massage therapy. This is what I've been doing in NY for 15 years and I"m sure I can build a practice again as long as I'm positioned well geographically.

Am I asking for too much? Is this all feasible?
I would look for a non-HOA neighborhood personally for what all you what. A lot of the older neighborhoods around Leesville Road and Ray Road would fit your requirements I think. It's only a 10-15 minute drive to the airport from there but as long as you're on the side of Leesville Road inside 540 you don't hear any air traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary