Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 08:25 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Raleigh
Rain or shine, at Noon on Saturday, March 15th downtown Raleigh will come alive with Irish tradition as the 26th Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade and Festival brings the ‘Wearin’ O’ the Green’ to the Capital City. The Raleigh St. Patrick’s Day Parade is the second largest St. Patrick’s Day parade in the Southeast.
26th Annual Raleigh St. Patricks Day Parade and Festival sponsored by DowntownRaleigh.com! at Downtown Raleigh Live Work Play!
Raleigh St. Patrick's Day Parade

We missed it last year, but on the recommendations of friends we are foregoing the event we did last year to stay in town for the parade and festival. This weekend is going to have a lot going on and be a ton of fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 AM

836 posts, read 3,471,125 times
We will be at this parade too. It is a fun parade, a little bit more light spirited than the Christmas parade. They let almost anyone that pays the entry fee march (within reason) so you will have the Parrotheads and the like. Very fun. Plus the parade ends at Moore square and there is a party after.

As Miamiblue says, there is tons going on downtown this weekend. The Run for the Oaks is Saturday morning, also ending at Moore Square.

The Museum of Natural History has Reptile and Amphibian Day too.

My church is having its Easter Egg hunt on the Capital Grounds on Saturday morning and we are going to have to have a bunch of people out there guarding our eggs because of all the activity!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,756 times
thanks for posting, I went last year and it was fun! I may go again this year

Old 03-12-2008, 03:00 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,919,735 times
We'd like to go to this; one question - where does everyone park?

Or better question; where should *I* park?

Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 PM

337 posts, read 1,139,129 times
^ there are a couple of parking decks within view of Moore Square. They should be free on Saturday.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:38 PM

836 posts, read 3,471,125 times
There is tons going on downtown at the same time and lots of closed streets due to the parade and race, so don't count on any on street parking. Here is a good map of the lots downtown. There is plenty of parking in the lots: Parking & Transportation :: Downtown Raleigh, NC

Old 03-13-2008, 05:45 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
In addition to the garages, parking is generally free on the street on weekends as well. If you know how to parallel park , I'd say street parking is the best if you find a spot close to where you want to be.

I hear people complain a lot about there not being any parking downtown. I actually think downtown Raleigh has a great parking situation right now with no shortage of places to park, all easily within walking distance of the events. You shouldn't have any problems!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 28,061 times
I highly recommend this event. It's not as cheesy as the Christmas parade...and more festive than Artsplosure (the other two big downtown Ral events). The Irish dance performances in Moore Square/City Market after the parade are real fun to watch, too.

As others said, the public (city or county-owned) parking decks are free nights and weekends, as is the metered spots on-streets. I'd probably avoid the decks immediately by Moore Square due to street closings, parade route, etc. The one behind City Hall is fairly easy to get in and out of, if you don't mind walking a few blocks. Last year I just parked on a residential street in Oakwood near the Governor's Mansion...less than a ten-minute walk from Moore Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary