Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:19 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,381 times

Advertisements

Where can I find a list of local charitable organizations that are looking for donations of household things? Something OTHER than Goodwill?

Specific examples:

-- cleaning out my sewing closet, so I have leftover pieces of fabric, felt, seam binding, buttons etc. Who needs these for occupational therapy, crafts, ??

-- Downsizing my home office. Who needs used office supplies (half pads of paper, hanging file folders, used but still good manila folders?)

-- old but useable yard tools (do I really need four rakes? )

-- plastic containers (Rubbermaid) and totes

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,856 times
I'm in the same boat and cleaning out like crazy lately. You may want to try the local Wake Freecycle, you can post what you have and people will want it and come pick it up. I also drop stuff off to the local thrift store here in FV. good luck!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
North Raleigh Ministries is a very worthy charity. They are at the corner of Spring Forest Rd & Atlantic Ave. Short hours most days since it's all volunteers.

Re-Tails has a thrift shop benefitting pets. They are near Red Lobster.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
Here's another possibility for the kinds of things you describe: The Scrap Exchange - Welcome to The Scrap Exchange Creative ReUse Center

Old 08-29-2007, 02:59 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
There's also the Habitat for Humanity....they are always looking for office supplies and other things. They often have wish lists on their sites;

Habitat for Humanity of Durham
Welcome to Habitat for Humanity® of Orange County, NC
Habitat For Humanity of Wake County - "Building Hope in Wake"
Johnston County Habitat for Humanity located in Johnston County, North Carolina

Also they have a hand me up thrift store that you can donate your stuff to...sales of which go to helping to build their houses.
Environmental Initiative: Habitat ReStores -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

We also donate to Harbor Inc. all our excess household stuff. Its an org that supports domestic violence victims (helps women set up escape the violence and set up new safe homes...among other things..so they always are in need of household stuff;
Harbor, Inc., Johnston County's Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Agency

You can also give to the Food Bank...sometimes they need goods/services as well as food.
Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina

There's also Raleigh's Rescue Mission helping the poor and homeless-they have urgent needs listed;
Raleigh Rescue Mission : How You Can Help : In-kind Gifts

That's all I've got for the moment.
Lauren

Last edited by lauren4521; 08-29-2007 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary