Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:06 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,701 times

Advertisements

Here's what *I* would do if I were dead-set on moving: assuming I had ALREADY found a job, I'd find a great roommate situation. In this day and age, you may not have to live with a bunch of "frat boys", there are plenty of decent folks trying to make extra money who may be renting out a room or a basement in a nice, clean home. I'd hop on Craigslist, take a couple of weekends, and interview potential roommates. I had the same roommate for five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 AM

181 posts, read 387,470 times
Please keep in mind that a landlord (where ever you move) may be reluctant to take you on if you can not show proof of employment. Just something to consider if you leave your current place.

Good luck

Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Understandably somewhere like Kinston might be a bad place to look for jobs, but also it's evident that you can't afford coming to Raleigh. So, pick an in-between place, such as Wilmington or Greenville, that will be cheaper than Raleigh but have better job prospects than K'ton.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM

84 posts, read 147,990 times
You can't find decent housing for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerTexasRanger View Post
HI, i'm living in Kinston NC and have recently been separated from my job. I feel I would have more opportunities for me if I lived in a big city like Raleigh, NC. I'm currently paying $350 a month in rent in Kinston and that is the max I can spend on rent.

I have searched all over the internet looking for apartments for $350 and I came up with apartments in the Raleigh area for like $1000 a month, thats CRAZY.

I am single, only would need a 1 bedroom 1 bath, dont have any pets. I defiantly DO NOT want a roommate, as I hate living with people.

Does anyone know any apartments for $350 a month or less in the Raleigh or surrounding area?

Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
OP, when you were working at your old job, what were you making? You should use that as the basis for setting your housing budget. You may find that the same job/class of job pays more in the Triangle than in Kinston. But please find a job first, then worry about where you will live. As others have said, landlords will be hesitant to let you move in if your only source of income was unemployment compensation. Also, as you are single, you don't have to limit yourself to one job.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:45 AM

531 posts, read 1,983,152 times
Have you considered North Dakota? Apparently the oil field work is nasty and brutish, but it pays very well. Lots of other jobs supporting the temporary boom-towns have also sprung up along with it, such as homebuilding:
N.D. oil boom a win-win for two states - Omaha.com

Old 12-15-2011, 05:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerTexasRanger View Post
I'm receiving unemployment checks, so I have money to relocate.

In the spirit of the season and to avoid those naysayers--

Come on over to Raleigh. But you really need to bring a nice room mate to off set the $550 andf up monthly rent.
Encouraging you to follow your dreams, but be prepared.. and if Washington has its way extended benefits may be history after January 1st...

Lok on Craigslist for rooms to rent / places to share..

Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 AM

171 posts, read 430,287 times
To further zthatzmanz28's comments, I'd say come on over too. Studio's and cottages can be found for starting at $425. If you can find another $100 of expenses to cut (transportation?), it may be workable. Also, people have guest houses in their backyards. You could also post what you're looking for on Craigslist and see what people say. Never hurts.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:20 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
I believe the Studio/Loft aprtments on Ashe Avenue by the Morehead school may run around $350, utilities included. My brother used to live there. They are small. Two people in there at one time is snug, and 3 is uncomfortable. The complex itself seemed a little scketchy, but the overall area isn't. Ashe is bounded by Hillsborough and Western Blvd.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Hi,

I didn't read all the responses you received so I apologize if this has been said.

I recently relocated to North Carolina and I have met at least 40-50 people who are here and unemployed (they came here looking for work). It's probably not a good idea to relocate anywhere with a job lined up or at least being really, really close to an offer.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to immediately rule out a roommate or room rental situation. It's safer to live in a better neighborhood with someone than to live alone in a not-so-good neighborhood. Anything is tolerable for the short-term.

Another option to consider is a barter arrangement. Do you have a particular skill set you can offer a home owner to live rent-free? For example, maybe you can help fix up things (like a handyman) or care for an elderly relative or take care of an apartment building (ie. mow the lawns, handle smaller tenant needs, etc.). Think outside the box and consider what you can offer someone to allow them to let you live rent-free or for low rent.

We rented in North Raleigh while we were searching for a house. Our rent was a little over $800. It was not the "cream of the crop" but it was a safe and clean area. It was worth it for me to know my children could go to the pool or walk to the parking lot without any issues. Granted, they never went alone, but I felt better knowing they *could* because we were in a low-crime area. We also had to pay a "penalty" for breaking the lease when we made the offer on the house. Again, though, it was well worth it for our peace of mind. Anyplace that does not require security, penalties and high rents is probably very transistional and longevity is what builds neighborhoods.

Keep in mind that all choices don't come down to money. How much is your life and health worth to you? Are you willing to change your lifestyle so you never have to come home after dark? Are you willing to take a self-defense class or learn other tactics to help should you become a victim of crime? Of course, things can happen just about anywhere. However, statistically, the odds rise in certain types of neighborhoods.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary