Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:23 AM

28 posts, read 54,348 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

This forum has been extremely helpful with answering many questions for us as we are planning a relocation from New York to Cary. One thing that's really important to us is that when we buy a house I'd like to be in subdivision with lots of nature but I've read on here that these subdivisions have many rules. I'm wondering what kind of rules these are and if rules would affect our planting a garden and building a green house in our back yard.

Also, I've looked at many pictures of subdivisions and it seems like many are built in an open field with not alot of trees providing for privacy. Are there any which are built with lots of trees around the back yards or if I really want that, will I have to look outside of the subdivision orientation?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:59 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse01 View Post
I'm wondering what kind of rules these are and if rules would affect our planting a garden and building a green house in our back yard.
Probably with an HOA you would have to get permission to build a green-house. A few might also have rules on plantings visible in the front yards. You will probably be better off in a non-subdivision.

Don't forget that your desire for trees may be incompatible with growing a garden. I've been trying to grow collards in a shady spot, and it doesn't work. Good luck on finding the right lot.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
You should ask your realtor for copies of the HOA covenants for any neighborhood you are interested in. A greenhouse that isn't attached to your house is probably going to require HOA approval but may also butt up against town zoning regs as well depending on the size of your property. If you want to attach it to your house I can't see that being that big of a deal.

As far as trees, you mainly find that they are lacking in the newer subdivisions - they generally can't build a whole slew of houses without clearcutting the area first. So if you want newer construction, you might have to wait awhile for trees to grow in. We moved from NY last year and that's why we were attracted to older subdivisions. There are plenty of subdivisions down here with plenty of trees. Maybe too many if you ask my raking-every-day husband

Old 12-11-2011, 09:42 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Probably with an HOA you would have to get permission to build a green-house. A few might also have rules on plantings visible in the front yards. You will probably be better off in a non-subdivision.

Don't forget that your desire for trees may be incompatible with growing a garden. I've been trying to grow collards in a shady spot, and it doesn't work. Good luck on finding the right lot.

I know quite a few friends who live in subdivisions in which "harvestable crops" are not allowed in view of the street. One even got in trouble when a neighbor complained about sunflowers he had planted for the summer (he wasn't even planning on eating the seeds, but the neighbor got the HOA to require removal based on the fact that the seeds could be harvested).

Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM

28 posts, read 54,348 times
All great answers, gives me lots of food for thought. Big thanks.

Do you think that people who have previous dealings with HOA boards should probably stay away from subdivisions and lead a more independent life? How much of a presence do these subdivions boards rules and regulations have in your quality of life and is it on a daily basis. One must live by the rules? So, if I want to plant a beautiful flower garden in my front yardand put a little garden table and chairs, I cannot do it?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times
Yes, one must live by the rules.

People have different ideas of "quality of life." Some like the rules.

Whether you can have a garden and table out front depends on the rules of an HOA.

I can't imagine not allowing a flower garden, but who knows? Some people want to turn their lawns into gardens. That is probably against some HOA rules because some people like lawns to look alike.

I can imagine that some HOAs may not allow chairs out front.

I think I read somewhere that all subdivisions in Raleigh were required to have an HOA past 1978. I'm not sure if that year is correct, though.

So there are a lot of them with HOAs. Some have strict rules. Some don't. Some are insane. I think all enforce the rules. (If they don't enforce them, why have an HOA in the first place?)

It's important to ask a lot of questions before signing a purchase agreement for a house in a subdivision with an HOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse01 View Post
All great answers, gives me lots of food for thought. Big thanks.

Do you think that people who have previous dealings with HOA boards should probably stay away from subdivisions and lead a more independent life? How much of a presence do these subdivions boards rules and regulations have in your quality of life and is it on a daily basis. One must live by the rules? So, if I want to plant a beautiful flower garden in my front yardand put a little garden table and chairs, I cannot do it?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:33 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
lovebrentwood is correct - all new subdivisions are required to have HOAs. If you want a newer home, in a subdivision, you're going to be dealing with an HOA.

Someone posted a thread yesterday looking for swim clubs/non-HOA neighborhoods, you might look at that thread. Also, I'm guessing since you'll be relocating from out of state, you'll be using a realtor, you should let them know that HOA rules are a big concern for you so you can be guided accordingly.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:33 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I know quite a few friends who live in subdivisions in which "harvestable crops" are not allowed in view of the street. One even got in trouble when a neighbor complained about sunflowers he had planted for the summer (he wasn't even planning on eating the seeds, but the neighbor got the HOA to require removal based on the fact that the seeds could be harvested).
Wow, their neighbor sounds like a jerk.

Our HOA has a rule about vegetable gardens needing to be behind a fence but it's not enforced much.

Not sure what your price range is, but if you want a neighborhood with mature trees and no HOA I know that The Highlands in Cary fits that bill. We looked at a few houses in that neighborhood. There's also the homes in downtown Cary that do not have HOAs and huge, beautiful oak trees. Most of those homes are going to be on the small side though since they were build before the 60s.

Last edited by evaofnc; 12-11-2011 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: x

Old 12-11-2011, 02:02 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,623 times
New subdivisions are required to have HOAs if they own common property (like the entrance way, any common land, sometimes the road) and almost all of them do have some common property. They are created for managing the common property. There's no requirement that they have architectural control; that's a choice of whoever developed that property. So if you hear one story about an HOA, then that story only applies to that HOA, not to all HOAs. Older subdivisions don't have HOAs, so if you'd like an older home and trees and no HOA, choose an older subdivision. If you want a newer one, read the restrictive covenants and ask around to find out what their HOA is like. I've never lived anywhere with a strict HOA, nor has anyone in my family, and between us we've lived all over the Triangle.

If you can specify your price range, old or new, and the lot size that you want then folks can steer you a little better. As stated, trees are not compatible with having a garden, so if you want both you might be also asking for a big property. And why Cary? Do you you really need to be there? There area lot of areas further out that might offer everything you want.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
As has been mentioned - make your needs and wants known to your Realtor, and make sure they understand their relative importance. There are plenty of options withing 30 minutes of any job/office requirements in Cary/the Triangle which will allow for a personal garden, a greenhouse, and trees as well.

Yes, if you are in a < 20 year old house in Cary city limits, you are most likely to find restrictions on any outbuilding (like a greenhouse). You can often find restrictions on items "visible from the street" which could cover a simple begetable garden.

At the same time, there are also many neighborhoods in Wake County that as noted have a "HOA" but which exert no architectural control and/or whose policing of rules are lax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary