Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:13 PM

150 posts, read 289,306 times

Advertisements

hi
we are moving down from long island next month finally but we have been making the trip back and forth ALOT for the past 6 months ....
we have discovered the best times I think.
Gonna do this backwards:
*LEAVING NY- nap for a while and get on the road about 2am. sounds crazy but you cut your trip from 10 hours to 8 and avoid ALL the NY& NJ traffic.

*NC to NY: We always get on the road about 8 or 9 in Raleigh and end up stuck in both DC traffic & rush hour in NY, not fun.
Last week we were delayed by some last minute paperwork and didn't get on the road until about 1:00 in the afternoon. But it worked out GREAT! We hit a tiny bit of traffic around DC even though I took the outer loop (495 instead of 395) but otherwise, none whatsoever. Missed rush hour and did the drive in probably 9 hours, stopping whenever we felt like it.
We take Capital Blvd to 85 to I95 all the way to exit10 in NJ to the outerbridge crossing (fastest bridge) into staten island to the verresano bridge and the belt pkwy... just occurred to me that I have no Idea where in NY your going....
Be safe, have a good trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 06:37 PM

355 posts, read 958,110 times
Another alternative to going through DC is to take 301 N just past Richmond and on up to Baltimore. I strongly recommend this if you are near DC at rush hour as either 495 or going through the city will be very, very ugly.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Well, we just drove up to LI last night and I have to say the leaving at 3PM plan is a winner - it took us 9.5 hours from F-V to Garden City, including 3 stops of about 25 mins each... did not see any traffic at all - we did take the 295 bypass around Richmond as we were approaching Richmond at 5:30PM and it was starting to get a little congested. We hit DC at around 8PM and drove straight through the middle (395/295) with no problems...Lincoln Tunnel/Midtown Tunnel around midnight, no worries...

Now, how to tackle driving home the day after Christmas???

Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM

151 posts, read 404,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Well, we just drove up to LI last night and I have to say the leaving at 3PM plan is a winner - it took us 9.5 hours from F-V to Garden City, including 3 stops of about 25 mins each... did not see any traffic at all - we did take the 295 bypass around Richmond as we were approaching Richmond at 5:30PM and it was starting to get a little congested. We hit DC at around 8PM and drove straight through the middle (395/295) with no problems...Lincoln Tunnel/Midtown Tunnel around midnight, no worries...

Now, how to tackle driving home the day after Christmas???
5:30PM or later, reverse the directions I gave earlier in this thread. The earlier you leave the likelier you are of hitting traffic on the way out of NYC and possibly some in central to southern NJ caused by the NJ Tpke expansion construction. But after that you should be OK, bar'ing VADOT construction on I-95 causing delays between DC and Richmond. Re: NYC, use google maps to find the best route out, and in NJ if the traffic is bad you can use NJ-130 or I-295 as alternates depending on where you are .. both parallel the Tpke for many miles .. NJ-130 is more local, speed limit ranges from 40-55. Then when you get into DC, double check the I-95 traffic in VA .. but then it will only be construction delays not volume.

Note you can leave later than 5:30 .. but the later you leave the likelier you are to fall asleep on the desolate I-85 in the wee hours of the morning. A 5:30PM departure with a couple of stops with traffic only as noted above = hitting the I-95/I-85 interchange around 12:30-1AM, give or take a few.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:51 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesco View Post
5:30PM or later, reverse the directions I gave earlier in this thread. The earlier you leave the likelier you are of hitting traffic on the way out of NYC and possibly some in central to southern NJ caused by the NJ Tpke expansion construction. But after that you should be OK, bar'ing VADOT construction on I-95 causing delays between DC and Richmond. Re: NYC, use google maps to find the best route out, and in NJ if the traffic is bad you can use NJ-130 or I-295 as alternates depending on where you are .. both parallel the Tpke for many miles .. NJ-130 is more local, speed limit ranges from 40-55. Then when you get into DC, double check the I-95 traffic in VA .. but then it will only be construction delays not volume.

Note you can leave later than 5:30 .. but the later you leave the likelier you are to fall asleep on the desolate I-85 in the wee hours of the morning. A 5:30PM departure with a couple of stops with traffic only as noted above = hitting the I-95/I-85 interchange around 12:30-1AM, give or take a few.
I was thinking of more like 5:30AM...being the day after Christmas and all...

Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 PM

126 posts, read 314,226 times
Ugh, makes me glad I'm not going this year. I am still getting over getting caught in the blizzard last year...

Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 AM

60 posts, read 188,924 times
Evaofnc, has it right. Leave at 9pm from Cary and avoid most of the traffic. When I used to make the NY to Fla run years ago (and in 18 hrs no less) the trick was to get through D.C. at night. As late at night as possible. If you leave at 9pm once you hit I-95 just take it untill you get to exit 13 on the Jersey Turnpike. Then you have a decision. You should be up there by 5:30 or 6am. If you take the Staten Island route that puts you on the Belt Pky or BQE for Long Island. Not bad IF your going EAST! You can also go up further on the Jersey Tpk to exit 16 to Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan and out to Long Island, a little dicey at that time but still ok. If your going up to the Bronx or Upstate you should be clean and green at that time of the morning. Best of luck, Cadillac 811.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary