Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,984 times

Advertisements

Regarding researching schools in different counties: what are you actually looking at? When people say "do your research" what do they mean, specifically?

I've looked at the greatschools.org and have noted the ratings. I've seen the individual school NC report cards for the schools we are considering. I've read the strong durham schools website.

At what point do you actually visit the schools to get a feel for everything? Early in the home search so you can essentially rule out an entire area if needed? Or later, before you put an offer on the house?

I consider myself pretty level headed and rational, but I'll be honest and say that the strong opposing views on Wake vs Durham schools have me spinning. I really want to remove as much emotional decision making as possible and really look at what's going on. But I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 06:17 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
In my honest opinion I think it's less about the school itself and more about parental involvement and the individual teachers. As someone who used to teach at an AWFUL school (not in NC) it came down to most parents did not care about their children's education (and verbally said as much at meetings!) and teachers who were apathetic or simply fed up because of lack of parental involvement. I have yet to come across a school anywhere in the Triangle that I feel is in that situation. Sure there will always be those sorts of problems in every school to some extent, but there are none in this area that has a complete culture of apathy. As long as you take a vested interest in what your children are learning I'm sure they will flourish in any of our schools.

I say focus on finding a house first and then when you've narrowed down your choices in that field concern yourself with going to visit the schools in those districts.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM

91 posts, read 180,959 times
Year round and proximity to my home, so that we can be involved in our kids education.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Regarding researching schools in different counties: what are you actually looking at? When people say "do your research" what do they mean, specifically?

I've looked at the greatschools.org and have noted the ratings. I've seen the individual school NC report cards for the schools we are considering. I've read the strong durham schools website.

At what point do you actually visit the schools to get a feel for everything? Early in the home search so you can essentially rule out an entire area if needed? Or later, before you put an offer on the house?

I consider myself pretty level headed and rational, but I'll be honest and say that the strong opposing views on Wake vs Durham schools have me spinning. I really want to remove as much emotional decision making as possible and really look at what's going on. But I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way.
I feel your pain. It was really hard for us, and I don't know that any amount of research could have helped. I have a friend who is a WCPSS teacher, and teacher morale seems to rest in the hands of the principal. And teacher morale is very, very important. I don't really have much advice, except that to keep in mind that the greatschools.org parent opinions are often extremes--people are SO in love with or SO despise a school that they feel compelled to rate it online; people in the middle are not going to bother. As far as test scores, they rarely tell the whole story, but I would tend to lean towards schools that are at/above capacity and have good test scores. That might indicate 1) happy parents, 2) happy teachers, and 3) successful kids. But there's no guarantee.

Honestly, though, if I had a do-over I'd never have entered WCPSS. There is just too much change going on and whatever came before or will come in the future may be wonderful, but right now it just really stinks. I'd have bought a 1000sf fixer in Chapel Hill and begged my husband to make a long commute. Or put them in charter/private from the outset.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:18 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
I look for smaller schools. Also, look at the courses offered. Some schools are more creative than others in what electives or additional activities are offered.

I think a school visit is a great idea to do when you've narrowed your potential neighborhoods down. 9 years ago I got tired of everyone telling me how great a particular school was so I went in to prove them wrong. They were right, it was a great school, and my oldest daughter really thrived there.

Sometimes it is as much about settling your anxieties as it is about gathering 'facts'. Once you see it, you can imagine your child there, it is a lot easier.

Make sure you call and make an appointment!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I look for smaller schools. Also, look at the courses offered. Some schools are more creative than others in what electives or additional activities are offered.
Do the courses offered differ at the elementary and middle schools, or only the high schools? I assume this info will be on the individual school website somewhere? That is something I haven't actually looked at. Thanks!!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Honestly, though, if I had a do-over I'd never have entered WCPSS. There is just too much change going on and whatever came before or will come in the future may be wonderful, but right now it just really stinks. I'd have bought a 1000sf fixer in Chapel Hill and begged my husband to make a long commute. Or put them in charter/private from the outset.
Do you think that if you had chosen a different location in WCPSS your situation would be different? Or not?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 AM

222 posts, read 545,921 times
One thing that helped me was to compare test scores by demographics, not just overall. For example, the Durham public school I chose for my kids has better scores than many Chapel Hill schools when separated out by demographics. White children performed the same or better, African American children performed the same or better, and Hispanic children performed the same or better. The difference in the overall scores have to do with the representation of each group. The way I interpret this comparison is that the actual quality of education is high if traditionally underperforming groups are performing better as well.

Another factor I look at is how many disciplinary incidences occur at each school. In these earlier years, I don't want disruptions in their class, and in later years, I don't want there to be safety concerns.

These two factors for me help me feel like the students come to school ready and willing to learn, and that overall attitude is what I think will help my own children get the most out of their education.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,920 times
I am responding to this question after having experienced Wake County Schools, and then purchasing another home in Southern Granville County where we currently live today.

I personally believe as an involved parent, my kids will be successful no matter what school they attend. I have 2 smart and well-balanced learners and each school we've attended (we were redistricted twice in Wake County) has been more than adequate for my boys. Most of their success at these young ages (10 and 7) is really dependent on MY attitude towards their education, their teachers, their experience. When MY attitude has sucked, so has their experience. Once I wrapped my brain around that, I was able to let go of having to find the "perfect" school -- and we all know that no school is "perfect" no matter where you live.

So, as much as I would like to say: get the house first, buy in a family-friendly neighborhood, and do it in this order, etc. - I think education and having a good experience really depends on YOU as their parent and not necessarily on the school itself nor the district. Once I was able to embrace this for myself a great deal of more options and choices were opened up for me and for them!!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 AM

109 posts, read 105,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
Year round and proximity to my home, so that we can be involved in our kids education.
Same here. We want to have the time and location to be involved with everything. We as parents are the reason why our children succeed or fail in school. If our children could not attend the school closest to home we would either utilize a private school of choice or move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary