Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM

835 posts, read 2,878,058 times

Advertisements

Any place like a Bob Evans or even a diner in Wake Forest that serves breakfast all day, especially on Sundays after church. Hate having to drive 30-45 minute for a good breakfast. And before anyone suggests Briggs, been there and done that. Too expensive and had a bad experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I'm surprised so many people are looking for more chains.

FWIW, if I were looking for beakfast in WF I would probably hit up the indy joint Main Street Grill (Main Street Grille, Wake Forest, North Carolina) or if you want a chain the new Waffle House.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
I'd like to have a healthy, funky place with vegetarian/vegan options in the North-North Raleigh/Wake Forest area.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrix View Post
The one that I usually go to for Ramen is Kashin at Crossroads in Cary. Not the best I've had but its close There's also Domo Sushi (Cary) and Momoyama (Durham), these all serve Ramen but not the Hokkaido style (or at least it didn't taste like one)
I've found those places to be barely a step above instant ramen. When you consider the amount of work that goes into making the stock and fresh noodles for ramen it's understandable that a sushi place would just use a frozen product. Someone would have to open a dedicated ramen shop which isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

In general Japanese food in this area is lacking. I work with a lot of Japanese businessmen that feel the same way. It's kind of surprising with the relatively large Japanese community here but I guess with most of them being temporarily in the area, a lot of potential restaurant owners don't think there's enough of a base to open things like ramen shops and yakitori joints. You do have Teriyakin in Morrisville though which has things like okonomiyaki.

At least more homestyle Korean places have been opening recently. I remember for a long time if I wanted good and not overpriced chijimi and toppogi I'd have to beg my neighbor to make it haha.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
Overall, I've been pretty pleased with the offerings for this area. I'd like an independent coffee shop and a bagel/deli place somewhere near Brier Creek. After reading the other topic about seafood in the area, I'd like to see a good, reasonable seafood place that offers fare like broiled scallops, lobster bisque, whole-belly fried clams, crab cakes, etc. Some diners or similar type places for good food and home-made desserts. I'd like an italian place that offers bolognese.

Oh, and something I haven't been able to have for many years - chicken croquettes.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
You keep seeing Krispy Kreme items in grocery stores, but I've yet to see a single store anywhere, not that I would be interested in stopping in, if I did.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...t=krispy+kreme

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...t=krispy+kreme

Old 12-30-2011, 09:12 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
Also there's a new KK in Fuquay Varina (diagonal from Super Wal-Mart).

As for what I'd like to see - more mom-n-pop type diners serving breakfast. Breakfast options are lacking here (outside the chains). Yes, I'm going to "go there", in New England you don't go to a chain restaurant for breakfast. No IHOP or McDonald's or whatever. You go to a place named Sal's or Shirly D's, or The Red Arrow Diner. Places where the owner has a vested interest in the quality of food coming out of the kitchen.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
As for what I'd like to see - more mom-n-pop type diners serving breakfast. Breakfast options are lacking here (outside the chains). Yes, I'm going to "go there", in New England you don't go to a chain restaurant for breakfast. No IHOP or McDonald's or whatever. You go to a place named Sal's or Shirly D's, or The Red Arrow Diner. Places where the owner has a vested interest in the quality of food coming out of the kitchen.
^^This. Same is true in many other parts of the country. For example, I lived in San Diego for a while and never ate breakfast at a chain restaurant. The same was true when I lived in Atlanta (with the exception of an occasional emergency IHOP visit.) I realize those are much bigger cities than the Triangle, but this area has always been sorely lacking when it comes to independent diners and restaurants that serve breakfast. I'd definitely like to see more.

Last edited by lb27608; 12-30-2011 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
After reading this thread, It makes me even happier to live in Glenwood South. I live near independent coffee (Helios), mom and pop breakfast (Finch's), Krispy Kreme Donuts, independent pizza (Lilly's), quick non-chain burger joint (MoJoe's), Thai (Thaiphoon), Sushi (Sushi Blues and Sushi O), Organic Bistro (Zely and Ritz) a soon to open Indian restaurant (Mantra plus the new one opening in 222 Glenwood) and the assortment of pubs, bars, etc. we have in the neighborhood.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 AM

28 posts, read 43,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I'd like to have a healthy, funky place with vegetarian/vegan options in the North-North Raleigh/Wake Forest area.
awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary