Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think if they are offering Salem as a choice in the new 'hood you want to move to, then they have to provide a bus. If you chose to stay at Salem and you were moving to Wake Forest, you'd be on the hook for transport. That's my understanding of this whole thing. Of course, now we all know why there are so many transportation issues brewing for next year.
Yea, this is my understanding too- for the next school year. Salem is on the list, he should get a bus. But if we close on the new house, say, end of April . . . . might I be responsible for transport until the start of the new school year?

Not a biggie. Just one of the many thoughts on my mind right now.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Default School Schedule Changes: not as big as first proposed

It seems that now they are looking at "only" changing the schedule for 50 schools rather than Wake's 169 schools. Wake proposing fewer school schedule changes for this fall - Education - NewsObserver.com

With them saying they proposed this so as to save $$ from cuts in funding....or as many of us say, to cover the cost of their new "neighborhood" plan...how will they deal with the shortfall?

Also, did I miss them talking about changing HS times? I have kind of zoned out on this to be honest But wouldn't it make sense to only change HS and perhaps 8/9th grades rather than elementary and early MS? Doing this would, for the most part, remove the issue of extra childcare costs. I realize that what might work for some families schedules, may not work for others but younger kids tend to naturally wake up earlier, older kids, later. We'd have happy HS kids

Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM

Default School board rescinds decision for Panther Creek 9th grade center

School board rescinds decision on Panther Creek freshmen - Education - NewsObserver.com

Old 02-22-2012, 06:59 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,852 times
RaleighLass--I'm no fan of this new assignment plan and I have a healthy distrust of staff but I don't think these time changes have much to do with the new assignment plan. The three tier schedule has been an issue for many years. Our elem bus arrives at the school at 3:30, but the school lets out at 3. They get home at 3:45. (my youngest is now in 6th grade, but our neighbors still attend this school) Last year the bus wasn't getting to the school until closer to 3:45 and it took a heck of a lot of complaining from parents to get them back to 3:30. The reason? The bus couldn't get back from its earlier run in time.

Looking at the tiers has been talked about before.

Last edited by raleighjayne; 02-22-2012 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: clarify a statement

Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
RaleighLass--I'm no fan of this new assignment plan and I have a healthy distrust of staff but I don't think these time changes have much to do with the new assignment plan. The three tier schedule has been an issue for many years. Our elem bus arrives at the school at 3:30, but the school lets out at 3. They get home at 3:45. (my youngest is now in 6th grade, but our neighbors still attend this school) Last year the bus wasn't getting to the school until closer to 3:45 and it took a heck of a lot of complaining from parents to get them back to 3:30. The reason? The bus couldn't get back from its earlier run in time.

Looking at the tiers has been talked about before.
yes, you are right, they have been dealing with this issue for some time. My oldest daughter who is now an adult went thru similar when she was in school in Raleigh. Not meaning to sound like I feel there is a conspiracy, bc I do not. But I do still think that they may well have looked at these changes now in an effort to save $$$ bc they've taken a hit in funding. I imagine they looked everywhere they could to save $$. I admit was using a catchphrase in my earlier post but simply to get my point across is a few words as possible as I was in a rush

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,852 times
No worries, RaleighLass. And I don't mean to always come across as picking apart your posts.

You've got a good point that they are probably taking into account what transportation will look like under this new plan and incorporating it into the new plan.

I'm also a bit frustrated because we need to cut money from somewhere but nobody wants to make any sacrifices to anything. We need to make the hard decisions but we definitely need to have an upfront, honest, discussion about the options before we do. That hasn't happened yet but hopefully it will. I'm still trying to keep a positive attitude about the better things that will come after all of this turmoil but it's hard. I just keep telling myself that every single board member has something positive to contribute and that they'll all eventually figure that out & find a way to work with each other. Laugh riot, I know. I'm here all week.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:51 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
No worries, RaleighLass. And I don't mean to always come across as picking apart your posts.

You've got a good point that they are probably taking into account what transportation will look like under this new plan and incorporating it into the new plan.

I'm also a bit frustrated because we need to cut money from somewhere but nobody wants to make any sacrifices to anything. We need to make the hard decisions but we definitely need to have an upfront, honest, discussion about the options before we do. That hasn't happened yet but hopefully it will. I'm still trying to keep a positive attitude about the better things that will come after all of this turmoil but it's hard. I just keep telling myself that every single board member has something positive to contribute and that they'll all eventually figure that out & find a way to work with each other. Laugh riot, I know. I'm here all week.
Good post

Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Totally agree!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,850 times
Quote:
I'm also a bit frustrated because we need to cut money from somewhere but nobody wants to make any sacrifices to anything.
Totally agree, even though I am part of the problem When I heard we could save $12 million just by changing the buses here and there by 10 minutes (how this plan came off initially to me) I thought, well of course we should do that! Then when I realized my son would be home later, I went and left my comments that I don't like this idea. As it is, my son is 7 and he gets home at 4:15. He gets 15 minutes of decompress time and then it is time to do the copious amounts of homework, then dinner, then bath, then bed. Moving the clock another 10 minutes whittles his time to be be a kid down to minutes. If they would have moved him up an hour, I would have cheered but this plan isn't right for my family so I had my say.

That being said, $12 million is a lot but I get tired of hearing about all of these pet projects that cost a billion dollars that aren't really needed.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 PM

182 posts, read 386,452 times
the Tata story is quite interesting. General. New career. DC schools - Michelle Rhee, which is rather a famous story itself.

this has got to be quite a change for him based on a documentary I saw on Rhee. I hope I don't offend anyone but frankly in DC parents didn't care much about actual education results, according to what I've seen. Rhee and Tata worked to change that and actually got resistance from parents and the board. Rhee resigned. Tata left.

Now he's faced with polar opposite parents. In some respects I think his charge in DC was more straightforward and more compatible with his background. this is much more convoluted and not as given to hierarchical direction

I'm extremely impressed with anyone that can reach his rank and I'm rooting for him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary