Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 AM

371 posts, read 1,218,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You can't just go to any firestation or police station - the person who does the installation has to be a certified installer....not just any old policeman or fireman can do it. Some car dealers have certified people as well.

You also need an appointment ...when I had mine installed in NY, there was a month wait! The officer who did it told me how sad it is when people come in ON THE WAY TO THE HOSPITAL and no one can help them.
Agree completely! We went to Cary Fire Station (on Harrison Ave) and they asked us to go to some other place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
There is a guy at Rex (outside Women's Hospital patient dropoff) that will help you install in the mornings. If dad goes, he tells you how to do it. If mom goes, he'll do for you! Nice guy.

Car Seat Safety

Old 01-06-2012, 02:17 PM

181 posts, read 387,416 times
If you are delivering at Rex there is a person who will show you how and inspect the installation before discharge, I would assume other hospitals do something like that also.

You can call your nearest fire station and they can tell you the closest one to you that does have a certified installer on site if they do not do it.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM

181 posts, read 387,416 times
Oh yeah,

Most of all.... Congratulations soon to be dad!!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
I've heard good things about the person at Rex. Make sure whoever does the installation is current on his or her certification. Not only do they show you how to install the seat, they can tell you the proper way to secure the baby into the seat. Most people don't know just how tight the straps have to be or that the chest clip needs to be at chest (or armpit) level not down at the belly button. Most people don't know the AAP recommends rear facing until at least 2 years old and have since 2003! www.car-seat.org is a great source of information.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:12 PM

351 posts, read 632,798 times
Here's a thought. Read the directions and do it yourself.

I'm sorry. But its just a car seat for a baby. Man up!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 PM

272 posts, read 724,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post

That's what I was thinking. It's not hard...read instructions, install...done.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
That's what I was thinking. It's not hard...read instructions, install...done.
And yet, NHTSA statistics say that 75% of car seats are installed incorrectly.

It certainly can be confusing for those unfamiliar with them. It's partly a function of poor design and instructions from manufacturers, as well as the need to constantly adjust settings by taking apart and re-running straps as the child grows.

With a bazillion different car seat models trying to fit a bazillion different car models, it's very easy to get it wrong.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
With a bazillion different car seat models trying to fit a bazillion different car models, it's very easy to get it wrong.
IMHO, if proper installation was so easy, there wouldn't be so many places offering to help get it right. Frankly, if it were me I'd ask an expert -- even if doing so made other people think I'm incompetent -- rather than risk the safety of my child.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:02 PM

272 posts, read 724,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
IMHO, if proper installation was so easy, there wouldn't be so many places offering to help get it right. Frankly, if it were me I'd ask an expert -- even if doing so made other people think I'm incompetent -- rather than risk the safety of my child.

I found it easy...but that's just me. Didn't even risk any of my 5 kids safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary