Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:17 PM

765 posts, read 474,322 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm moving to the Raleigh/Durham area in March. Probably most important thing about me is I am an old woman, aging faster than the speed of light, lol. NOT in great shape and coming back into civilization after a really stupid move to an extremely rural area of Virginia. TOTALLY did not work out.

So I visited the Raleigh area between Christmas and New Years, but it was hard to get a sense of things, lots of things were closed or people just didn't feel like working. I did fall in love with Lee's Kitchen on Capital Blvd in Raleigh, LOL I did find a room to rent so I do not make the same mistake of buying the first thing out of desperation like I did just 18 months ago.

My room is in Durham, I'm going to be staying there for a month or two and starting on day one, I want to avail myself of some of the great medical facilities at Duke.

BUT, right now I just found a foreclosed little ranch I am thinking of in East Durham, seems to be in area known as Redwood or at least is in a subdivision known as Greenwood Forest which is sort of off of Mineral Springs Rd/Stallings Rd. Seems like a nice quiet area

But REALLY? I'm old, maybe I should be thinking more practically, like living on a bus line, like which city, Durham or Raleigh has the lower taxes, the best amenities for an old coot like me. I'm in my sixties, I have to think of being near some things I will truly need, like a senior center and a public library, I am a mad fool for reading AND POETRY. Need a great area for some good poetry groups.

So, y'all have been living in this area, what city do you think would be better for an older woman on a very limited income who really just can' ever move again until it's six feet under. thanks for your help and advice, I truly appreciate it.

OH> BIG P.S. : I'm kind of an aging new age hippie freako/yeah i was at woodstock but only for 2 days/druid/no i am not a witch but very very celtic/shamanic so want to hook up with artsy-fartsy types like me

Last edited by ceiligrrl; 01-10-2012 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: add information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,824 times
I can most heartily recommend Carrboro for you You will feel like you've moved back home. You might even run into some Druids there...seriously! Even some areas of Chapel Hill feel like Carrboro. However, Durham will work fine too but you'll need some recs from residents there who can tell you the best areas for you that match your preferences.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,824 times
You might want to check out this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...laid-back.html

Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,610 times
Agree with others that Carrboro sounds perfect. I would steer clear of east Durham, but central Durham is great and may also work well for you. It'll have a much more urban feel than Carrboro and is more hipster liberal than the hippie liberal vibe you'll find in Carrboro.

Raleigh will most likely feel way too uptight and conservative for you.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 AM

520 posts, read 1,017,030 times
You mentioned you are older, but not what "older" is. If you are 55 or over, what about a Senior Community? There are numerous in the area with different options from a simple gated community for "older" folks to full on hotel-style assisted living apartments.

A condo or small house in a community like that may be a good fit for you since you have your space, but someone else to maintain the grounds and access to services of importantce to you.

I have to confess we don't qualify for them, so I haven't looked into them in great detail, but I imagine any realator could help you get started with seeing a few places.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,985 times
I also recommend checking Carrboro. My parents are also hippies and spend a lot of their free time over in Carrboro

Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
You mentioned you are older, but not what "older" is. If you are 55 or over, what about a Senior Community? There are numerous in the area with different options from a simple gated community for "older" folks to full on hotel-style assisted living apartments.
The 55 and over communities I've seen, I'm not sure an aging hippie who was at Woodstock would enjoy these. BUT the OP could tour those while renting.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:13 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,576,135 times
When you get here, hang out at Weaver Street Market in Carrboro for a day or so. You will soon find out what everybody where has been talking about.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,151 times
In your shoes I would lean towards Durham/Carrboro. You might want to check out Eno River Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Durham...you would find druids there, as well as other aging hippie types. Make a few friends there and they can give you advice.

Also, from your home in VA you can join some Meetups which will get you connected with like-minded people. Just go to the website enter a zip code and search for your hobbies.

I applaud your common sense in thinking ahead!!!! there is so much to do around here, live small in your home and live large in your community! Unless 'spend hours maintaining my home' is on your bucket list....

Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
OH> BIG P.S. : I'm kind of an aging new age hippie freako/yeah i was at woodstock but only for 2 days/druid/no i am not a witch but very very celtic/shamanic so want to hook up with artsy-fartsy types like me
I don't know you but I already like you!

Durham near Duke and near Downtown has an artsy community. You could also find folks with similar beliefs here in Durham. But I think most of them are going to be younger. Most of the old guard in Durham might not be able to relate to Druidism. Near Downtown & near Duke does have a fair amount of "young hipsters." So where the concentration as other larger cities like Portland. Some find them endearing, others find them annoying.

I've found a lot of the aging, artsy types in Carrboro to be academia hippies, which is just different than the hippies that I knew in Oregon.

If you could afford it, an apartment in Portland sounds perfect for you. But you did not ask about Portland so I won't' get off topic.

Durham Public Libraries are good too. I'd call them about Poetry groups. Between Durham and Chapel Hill, there are options.

Good luck with your move. Duke is great for medical. I've been seeing them for a significant health issue for about 6 months now. And I'm so glad they are in my back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary