Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdr123 View Post
We've had more break-ins in the last few months than ever before. This will eventually turn tragic.

I find it curious that Durham County Calls for Service Reports is no longer listing the Breaking and Enterings in their record. Are they trying to hide the truth!?
The city's never listed calls for service for *any* crimes. To get a record of calls for service, you have to file a request with the crime stats division.

The subdivision in question is within city limits, so DPD is the primary agency for policing the area. DCSO would only get dispatched to the area if a DPD officer wasn't able to respond.

There has not been more property crime in the last month then ever before. The full report for 4Q 2011 isn't out yet in Durham, but I can assure you that it is not a record-setting quarter for property crime.

In terms of crime stats, property crime was down 3% in Durham last year. Durham's 2010 property crime rate [the latest year that all stats are available] was lower than the following peer cities:

Little Rock, Winston-Salem, Montgomery AL, Baton Rouge LA, Norfolk, Greensboro, Springfield MO, Salt Lake City, Tacoma WA, Chattanooga, Dayton OH, Flint MI, Rochester, Beaumont, among others.

I'm sorry to hear that your subdivision is having an increase in break-ins. I truly hope that DPD is able to catch the perps and put them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 AM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I took a personal safety class once. And I remember the instructor saying that even if you don't have a dog or a burglar alarm, make it look like you do. A cheap "Beware of Dog" sign may cause a burglars choose a neighbor's house rather than yours. Also a tape recording of a dog barking inside would be a similar deterrent. And of course the fake burglar alarm signs work, too.
There are alarms with the sound of an angry dog.

Electronic Watch Dog barking dog alarm

Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM

11 posts, read 11,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
The city's never listed calls for service for *any* crimes. To get a record of calls for service, you have to file a request with the crime stats division.
I was referring to the County website. The area is mixed city & county. Since last week, there has not been one BRK ENT listed in the records - kind of strange.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the County website. The area is mixed city & county. Since last week, there has not been one BRK ENT listed in the records - kind of strange.
So, the calls for service probably came in to the City, then.

The city reports all crimes within it's boundaries at this website:

http://www.durhampolice.com/crimemapper.cfm

Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
So, the calls for service probably came in to the City, then.

The city reports all crimes within it's boundaries at this website:

http://www.durhampolice.com/crimemapper.cfm
You're missing the point, not referring to those calls specifically.

The County is no longer listing their break-ins!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You're missing the point, not referring to those calls specifically.

The County is no longer listing their break-ins!
That's not necessarily true. Have you confirmed this policy with the County, or are you simply making a wild conjecture based upon a limited data set?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. Have you confirmed this policy with the County, or are you simply making a wild conjecture based upon a limited data set?
meh, not that wild a conjecture. I've been checking the website daily for years. There used to be a B&E per hour and now there are none.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
meh, not that wild a conjecture. I've been checking the website daily for years. There used to be a B&E per hour and now there are none.

1 per hour, huh? So you're claiming that Durham County experienced 8800 B&E's last year? I don't see that stat anywhere.... It sounds to me like you're certainly making wild conjectures.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
1 per hour, huh? So you're claiming that Durham County experienced 8800 B&E's last year?
It sure seemed like it. Anyway, I posted this information for the benefit of people living in the affected area. They can check the websites themselves. Good day, sir.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
There has not been more property crime in the last month then ever before. The full report for 4Q 2011 isn't out yet in Durham, but I can assure you that it is not a record-setting quarter for property crime.
Well, obviously this subdivisions is experiencing more crime than it has before. So it's residents have valid reasons to be concerned with property crimes and safety. It doesn't mean crime in Durham as a whole is up. But maybe it does mean that Durham needs to look at where they are allocating resources.

Most subdivisions South of Southpoint are in the city (pay city and county taxes) but in our particular subdivision it is usually the county doing patrols not the city. I don't know why that is, but it's what I've observed.

And I realize this is bordering on reactionary, but Eve Carson's convicted killer, Lovette, had a record of break ins prior to the Carson murder. I think these people have the right to be concerned. And just because it's crime that is happening in Southpoint and not one of the more politically connected n'hoods in Central Durham does not mean it should be over looked. At the same time it should not be sensationalize either. But it should be looked at for what it is. Is crime in that particular neighborhood up over what it was a year ago? Is so, then put some more resources down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary