Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 9,491 times

Advertisements

There's a possibility that I will be moving to the Triangle area for 2 years, starting in 2013 (yes, I am a planner). I am a CPT in the Army and am hoping to be selected for a Clinical microbiology fellowship. UNC would be one of the universities I apply to (and my first choice) if I am selected by the Army. I am trying to start getting opinions on places to live. Carrboro and Chapel Hill seem to be the best options? Safety is my number 1 priority since I will be living alone.

About me: I am a young 39yo single female with no kids. I would prefer to live in an area where I can walk, bike, or ride public transit to the hospital and to local hangouts. Is the hospital actually on the UNC main campus? I would like to live close to work and play. I belly dance and like to hoop (Carrboro caught my eye for this reason and for the local Farmer's market). I am a social drinker, but not interested in the all night party scene. I get the impression that Franklin Street may be more of an undergrad area? I prefer to go to a sports bar to watch the game or an outdoor bar for HH. I also prefer to support local establishments, preferably ethnic, over chain restaurants/shops.

My idea of a perfect neighborhood is a townhome, duplex, or small cottage with some yard but not alot of maintenance. I have 2 dogs and really want/need a dog friendly area. I would also like to avoid areas that are predominantly family homes. No offense, I'm just not a kid person. I would like to live in an area with professionals/grad students. I would also like to live in a place where people are friendly, lots of things to do, etc, etc. I would like to keep the budget under $1000 unless those options are not safe areas.

I would describe myself as a Christian, American flag flying, fiscally conservative, socially liberal...actually, I probably identify most as a libertarian. I could care less what you do in your home as long as everyone is a consenting adult and you don't judge me for what I do in mine. I may have trouble judging people who don't like dogs. Can't help it. I would prefer to live in an area that is open and accepting of diverse views, including mine (Ha).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by guytonmk; 01-24-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
You'll fit right in on the lawn at Weaver Street Market in Carrboro.

And in answer to your quetion, yes, the hospital is on the main campus.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,491 times
Thanks. Sorry anbout all of the [FONT] boxes. I think I have removed them.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:33 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,074 times
Carrboro sounds perfect for you. Numerous small cottages (<900 sqf) and apartments in owner occupied homes for rent scattered throughout the area between Main, Fayetteville and Greensboro rds would be a good fit with your dogs.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Yes, the hospital is right on campus, and Carrboro is technically walking (or biking) distance from the campus/hospital, although Chapel Hill/Carrboro have wonderful, and FREE, bus routes all over the place. It's such a booming area that you may want to ask about housing a little closer to moving time, since something new may have been built or otherwise the landscape changed by then. There are lots of townhouse-type living places, though. For just two years, you may also be able to rent a house.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
What's hoop?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
What's hoop?
Hula

Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Hula
Thanks.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM

399 posts, read 700,326 times
I have lived in Carrboro off and on over the years and I never saw anyone walk to campus or the hospital. Also, a single family home, even small, will be very expensive to rent so be forewarned.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I have lived in Carrboro off and on over the years and I never saw anyone walk to campus or the hospital. Also, a single family home, even small, will be very expensive to rent so be forewarned.
Gee, my wife walked/rode her bike from Pine Street to the greenway behind the Cat's Cradle and up Cameron to the hospital 3 or 4 times a week. And she wasn't alone. Perhaps you haven't really payed attention.

As to your second point, look up 1205 Greensboro on Craigslist. Sounds pretty close to what the original poster was looking for, at $850/month. Dozens of places like this scattered throughout Carrboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary