Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 PM

528 posts, read 935,342 times

Advertisements

Hi - does anyone have a recommendation for a dryer repair service? I'm wondering if it makes sense to go to Sears (where I purchased the dryer) or if I'll do better hiring a repair man (or woman!)

Also, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. When I set the timer dial and turn it on, sometimes the dial winds back from 60 minutes to zero in a matter of seconds and cuts off. Lately, when I set it, the dial stays put and the dryer just shuts off. It's strange b/c the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it works fine, other times I have the problem...but I'm starting to worry about running it.

If anyone else has had this problem and got it fixed, I'd like to hear from you. Also, if anyone can recommend a repair service.

PS - Can I just say what a pain it is to wash a full load of toddler clothing and then have to hang it all to dry. I never noticed how many articles of toddler clothing fit into a single wash. My treadmill-quasi-drying rack is overloaded...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
How old is the dryer? It might still be under warranty.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM

About 9 1/2 years I think. I am trying to locate the paperwork (that was a failed New Years resolution from many years back (to be more organized) which continues to haunt me) but I figure it's out of warranty.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
The unfortunate truth is that unless it is a very expensive high end dryer, you may find that the cost of repair is nearly equal to the cost of replacement!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Definitely too old for extensive work.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default sounds easy

Sounds like you just need to change out the dial timer, which on your sounds manual and not electronic. Something like this is easier than you think...if you can find the part.

A site like this is very good:

Free Dryer Repair Guide - Test dryer timer motor
That site has worked well for me.
If the dryer is still getting hot and drying and only the timer is the problem, I would fix it myself but I would not pay someone as any repair (unless you know someone) will be too high on that old of a unit.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Sounds like you just need to change out the dial timer, which on your sounds manual and not electronic. Something like this is easier than you think...if you can find the part.

A site like this is very good:

Free Dryer Repair Guide - Test dryer timer motor
That site has worked well for me.
If the dryer is still getting hot and drying and only the timer is the problem, I would fix it myself but I would not pay someone as any repair (unless you know someone) will be too high on that old of a unit.
Thank you. We'll give this a try. If that's what it is, it looks like an easy fix.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Call D&L Appliance parts. They should have it.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Agree with Ducter - sounds like it might be a simple fix, mechanical rather than electronic. I have used Andy's Appliance Repair and found them to have very reasonable prices.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
PS - I don't agree with people who say that units are too old to be fixed for a good price. I have done this twice with separate appliances in recent years and was surprised at the low cost. Now of course if it's something major then certainly you have to weigh whether it's worth it. it all depends on what needs fixing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary