Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRdu View Post
I know some people do not like the taste of organic milk (horizons etc) because they are sure they can taste the effects of it being superheated. For me, it is more important to not have hormones in my milk, so I can live with the UHT pasturization organic milk.
Have you tried Maple View Farms milk? It's local so just regular pasteurization. While not certified organic, they follow organic practices and you can even go and check out their farm. It's outside of Chapel Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Have you tried Maple View Farms milk? It's local so just regular pasteurization. While not certified organic, they follow organic practices and you can even go and check out their farm. It's outside of Chapel Hill.
I like getting MV farms milk in the glass bottle (for which there is a deposit when you bring the bottle back to the store.) Unfortunately the deposit doesn't work if you accidentally drop the bottle... (oops!)

In my observation this is also the cheapest way to get a half-gallon of milk around here, too, once you get your bottle deposit back.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 AM

I sometimes keep the bottles for making iced tea. I figure the deposit on the bottle is cheaper than buying a glass pitcher at the store and at least the bottles are designed to fit in my fridge door.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM

272 posts, read 724,039 times
Wal-Mart........now there's a place I'll never shop at.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM

71 posts, read 148,436 times
Quote:
Awesome!! I will check them out! It is tips like this that make me love this forum! And to add what the OP saying about the EU refusing to sell hormone treated milk - Canada won't touch the stuff either.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
For what it's worth, I don't think Wal-Mart "fears" anyone. Aldi serves it's purpose - if you need a few things here and there. If you need your weekly/bi-weekly (etc) shopping you still need to go to a traditional grocery store.
Considering that Aldi was one of the reasons WalMart withdrew from the German market, they certainly have their attention. Here's an article from last year about Aldi's success in NYC vs what WM could do.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/business/30aldi.html

Aldi is also very successful with their Trader Joe's division. Maybe WM is using stores like this one to try to compete against TJ. It will be interesting to see what products they carry in the new store.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM

229 posts, read 703,750 times
Quote:
Maple View Farms' milk is amazing. It's the only milk we ever bought since moving here, mainly since they've proven they take good care of their animals. We've switched entirely to organic, unsweetened, soy milk though, so no more MV milk for us.

Whole Foods sells their Ice Cream too, and it's amazing, but $$$$ for a tiny little container.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Considering that Aldi was one of the reasons WalMart withdrew from the German market, they certainly have their attention. Here's an article from last year about Aldi's success in NYC vs what WM could do.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/business/30aldi.html

Aldi is also very successful with their Trader Joe's division. Maybe WM is using stores like this one to try to compete against TJ. It will be interesting to see what products they carry in the new store.
Considering Aldi is originally a German company, I really don't think that says anything about Wal-mart vs Aldi other than Wal-mart had trouble breaking into a market that already had a well-established discount grocer. It was actually Wal-mart's experience in Germany that has caused them to change gears in other countries they want to break into and instead they'll just buy out whatever discount store already is established in that country. They did this in Japan with a company called Seiyu and I believe they did it in South Korea as well.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Maple view farms milk= yum. If you like milk and don't drink it just because you "need to" I definitely reccomend it.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM

71 posts, read 148,436 times
Ok, I was curious after reading this thread, so when I was near Walmart supercenter in Morrisville I decided to stop in and buy some groceries. I had been in there before for an electronic item and briefly looked at the produce section, but have never done a specific grocery shopping trip there. I only picked up a few items, but wow. Most were *significantly* cheaper than what I have been paying. I only bought packaged foods-yogurts, juices, pasta sauce, pasta, apple sauce, a loaf of bread etc, but the big cost difference did surprise me for the exact same (brand ) item elsewhere.

Interestingly, the organic milk (horizons only available ) was the same price as what I have been paying elsewhere, and while the produce looked just fine, the only organic option I saw was a big bag of apples. I admit I did not look very hard since I was in a hurry. I did not need that many apples, so I passed on them and can't speak to the quality or per lb price comparison.

The store was clean, well lit and well organized. The people who worked there were pretty nice and helpful. If the Neighborhood Market price and selection is like this-or better (I hope better organic produce selection ), I think it will do very well. I heard they will carry Blue Bell ice-cream which my family will like.

Someone posted earlier that they would never shop at any type of a Walmart store. While I hope that this new store will be successful, I do hope that there are enough HT loyalists to continue giving the HT across the street from the propsed location enough business. That is my favorite HT for several reasons, and the people who work there are fabulous. I hope that part of town has enough customers to support both stores since they probably will have different strengths and HT provides a valuable alternative selection of choices. It seems like this area has grown a lot since there used to be two grocery stores on that corner, so I think it is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary